Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Just so you guys know. . . there was a 45mph offset crash test on a suburban, and the test dummy suffered a broken leg, due to cabin intrusion. . . and the suburban uses some heavy gauage steel!

Cabin intrusion is the most vital element of vehicle safety, which should be more important than the totalling of a vehicle. And cabin intrusion has more to do with the size of the interior (how large it is). The larger the volume, the weaker the structure (imagine a small rebull can vs a large rockstar can, and see which is harder to crush). The smaller the volume, the more rigid it will be. You can have the heavest guages of steel, yet if the cabin is not designed well, it may crush before the rest of the car (as it is inherently the weakest area).

I'm not saying anything at all about any vehicle whatsoever, but just that pure size alone and steel guages may not save your life. It's a combination of the "give" of the material, where the give is, and what areas of the vehicle have less give than others.

Imagine a glass falling on concrete vs carpet. . . even a small difference in deceleration may save your life.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Exactly, the sheet metal on the outside of the body does little to protect you in an accident
Old 04-22-2005, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

This car was give around a 5 star grade in crash test safety by the goverment this thread is stupid, pointless, and about as irrelavent as the complaints people had about cheapness of the car.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

1--my friend has a 02 jetta 1.8t.....its a POS, he has had nothing but trouble with it!
2- someone was talking about MR2's with 3sgte's....every one Ive heard of has their turbos go out withint 100k miles...its not the motors fault, the turbo creates too much heat in the small engine compartment , but hell, Mr2 turbos are SOOO fun to drive
Old 04-23-2005, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know the tcs save the drivers they saved me twice without scratching myself and if you have seen both accidents you'd probly say that i'm very lucky. And btw i have benn driving for 4 years and i never had and accident not even a speeding ticket or anything related to driving bad. It's just that i don't think i'm very unlucky with the tC, wihc i love.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea.. my friend bought a jetta and the ac went out in 2 years... the windows would not roll down after 1.5 years... and the interior lights went out in 3 years, and they said it would cost 800 dollars to fix the interior lights.... ****.... I love my tc... screw vw
Old 04-23-2005, 10:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Believe it or not, power window failures are VERY common in most cars, but every Toyota that I and my family have had never had an issue (1990 Previa, 99 Corolla, 1990 LS400, 98 GS400, 01 IS300, 99LS400, 98 Tacoma, 02 Tundra, oh yeah, a 96 Camry too). . . we've had practically every brand of car, and once we had our first Toyota, nobody in our family has ever purchased any other brand (which includes Scion and Lexus).
Old 04-23-2005, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

oh wait, actually my brother acquired a couple of BMW's. . . and is going back to Lexus (he wants the new GS430). The 740 was a lemon, but he's been reasonably happy with the 5.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone have the seven airbag option on their Tc? This alone has changed a 4 star crash test rating to a five. I have two kids and one on the way and wouldn't have bought my Tc w/o it.

How many airbags does vw put in the new jetta? I know the old one might have four...
Old 04-23-2005, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member

The "new" Jetta (MkV) has 8 airbags standard - driver and passenger front bags, driver and passenger thorax bags, and side curtain bags for all four seats - same as the previous (MkIV) Jetta.

The MkV Jetta has not been evaluated yet, but the MkIV Jetta and Jetta wagon both had 5 star ratings for frontal impact (driver and passenger) and 4 star for side impact (front and rear seat).
Old 04-23-2005, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slowpoke
A wise man once said: believe half of what you see
Son, and none of what you hear
Nice quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Water is clear. . . urine is golden
Old 04-23-2005, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member

If the guy who posted this thread is worried that Scions are made cheap, then he needs to get rid of his car. Lambourginis are $300,000 cars, and they are made of fiberglass. If you get into a fender-bender in one of those, the car is totaled. Sales people will tell you anything you want to hear. My point is, if you are scared, then get rid of it.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Are Scions made cheaply?

[quote="bOhEmIo82"]So I heard from someone in the auto business that Scion/Toyota uses 20 gauge, or 22 gauge (I believe it was) steal to make their cars. Then he proceeded to tell me that when he was at a
Toyota dealer back some time, he witnessed an oil change being performed on a TC, and told me that the chassis bent, and dented right into the door because of all the weight that was brought down by the other side.
I was like WTF??? Then he proceeded to tell me how a Jetta, for example, is made with 18 gauge steel, and that it's a much more durable car. I hate to think that I bought an "appliance" on wheels. I know there is no question of the Toyota name, and our engines etc. But what about the car's foundation itself?

I have not read through this thread. addressing this first post only:

-Toyotas and other modern small cars do not have a "chassis". They are uni-body construction

-the gauge of the sheetmetal means very little to durability. It means a -lot- to overall vehicle weight. Thicker steel for stamped panels is -not- expensive- but it does add useless weight IF the vehicle is of sophisticated engineering

...and told me that the chassis bent, and dented right into the door because of all the weight that was brought down by the other side

third hand info all garbled and means nothing. It's all nonsequiturs, guy. not yoru fault but -do read up on how cars today are designed and do not believe one tenth of what you hear through word of mouth.

example how word of mouth distorts a story which probably originated with some complete idiot in the case of that tC oil change:

My sister had a baby and named it fred

pssst! this guy's sister had a baby. they named it "dread"

Wow, , i heard this black guy had a baby and it already has dreadlocks! wtf!

Old 05-18-2005, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member

Check out this link at CNN about JD Power quality survey: http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/18/Auto...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Old 05-18-2005, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member

Old 05-19-2005, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL........... This thread is funny. The tC is made very well and will last for many years with even abuse. TOYOTA wouldn't realease a car that they would loose money on in the long run regarding repairs, ect. No manufacture, and I say again, no manufacture makes a perfect product. There will be flaws and defects, but I can garantee you that Toyota released the Scion cars very well made. The tC has many years of features and long lasting history from other models (Camry, Celica and Avenis). Don't worry folks you bought a great car (xA, xB, tC), just take care of it and it will last for many years to come. Never under estimate Toyota or listen to lies from other peoples mouth that are just jealous of what you have.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

toyota will soon take over the car industry, youll see.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

and then the world!
Old 05-19-2005, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member