Are Scions made cheaply?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 05:24 AM
pkg
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by psyontific
Does anyone have the seven airbag option on their Tc? This alone has changed a 4 star crash test rating to a five. I have two kids and one on the way and wouldn't have bought my Tc w/o it.

How many airbags does vw put in the new jetta? I know the old one might have four...
My tC has nine airbags:

2 x rear curtain airbags
2 x side seat mounted airbags
2 x front curtain airbags
2 x front console
1 x driver's knee airbag.

The 5-star crash test was done without the optional airbags.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my toyota.
is a land cruiser.
1993, and i'm pushing 186,000 miles on it. the power windows have slowed down a bit, but they don't stall and fail.
and Toyota didn't get to the #2 best selling car maker in THE WORLD by throwing out cheap cars.

the JD Power equivalent in germany did a customer satisfaction survey. guess what car germans had the most satisfaction with ... yup. TOYOTA.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by rjflyn
Ok to help settle this. Form the aspect of a emergency provider you want a car that crumples. Esp one the size of a Scion. If it doesnt all the force of the accident the gets transfered to what ever is in the vehicle- ie you. Also for what its worth I personally take the federal crash tests with a grain of salt, the one the insurance institute does is more reallistic- I should know I have had to pry my way to more than a few people in cars.

rjflyn
This person is completely right. We've discussed this time and time again on the boards. Cars now are supposed to be "throwaway" cars. They will save your @$$ in an accident but most likely be totaled out. That is the point of having a good insurance company. Cars are designed to take as much of the impact of the accident as possible, in order to save your body from that impact.

What is becoming increasingly more difficult is the rescue operations that WE rescue workers have to go through. With all the new things with crumple zones and extra airbags, and even new model or manufacturer specific things, we need more and more training to properly and safely extricate people. If you are in an accident and your car is totaled, check with the local fire department to see if they will take the donation of your vehicle for training purposes. This applies heavily in areas with volunteer departments.

Our dept. actually practices cutting the car apart, then we tack weld the car pieces back together if possible, and use the car again for car fire training.

Enjoy some of the safest cars on the road, built by toyota
Old 05-19-2005, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

hey since you work with the fire department, I'm curious to how Volvo well they stack up safety wise. Is it true what they say about Volvo's?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i remember long ago, the DL series volvos had ads in advertising how they can put a semi on top of it..and it would still hold. they would stack multiple volvos on each other and they would be fine NP...but i'm not sure how they are these days. Ford bought them out.....and yeah....
Old 05-19-2005, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

cool thanks. . . and sorry about the slight digression
Old 05-19-2005, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by the.whoster
i remember long ago, the DL series volvos had ads in advertising how they can put a semi on top of it..and it would still hold. they would stack multiple volvos on each other and they would be fine NP...but i'm not sure how they are these days. Ford bought them out.....and yeah....
I can at least vouch for the older ones. My friend had a late 80s model Volvo 2 door with sunroof (not sure of the model as I am not a big volvo person) when we were in high school. On new years eve (on the way TO the party, so we werent drunk by the way ) we missed a turn, flipped it end over end once and rolled it three times before coming to rest on the wheels. The car had a nice twist to it afterwards and there was a trail of parts strewn behind it, but the roof never caved in (sunroof was still in the car) and the passenger compartment was ok. We basically hit a ditch head on, flipped straight up, landed on the drivers side and then started rolling. I was pretty impressed at the car... and still made the party
Old 05-19-2005, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

On the VW issue, a very close friend of mine has the toureg (sp) and has had nothing but problems with it. A specific part has malfunctioned 3 times. We have a lemon law in CA but unfortunately the dealer didn't log the first malfunction so they don't have to take the vehicle back. I would never own a VW. Hitler's curse is still alive and well in those crapboxes.

I have owned many Toyotas and they have all been quality cars/trucks.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion's made cheaply? Well, the paint leaves something to be desired. And the suspensions are not particularly smooth riding on bumpy roads...

Apart from that, most people think I paid at least $10,000 more for the cars than I did. Not cheap at all, except in the retail price...
Old 05-20-2005, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jeez, just jeez.....jd power and assoc. just ranked the tc as best in customer satisfaction in the sporty car class. it's five star rated in crash tests (one four star). seems people with not a lot of money to spend who finally spend it and get a _____in' car are pickier than people who have dough to spend. what the f do you want for less than 20? sry,....just venting
Old 05-20-2005, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what the f do you want for less than 20? sry,....just venting
Well, I'd like the paint to hold up better than it is. My tC has 6,000 miles on it and more paint chips missing than my trade in did at 60,000 miles. And my trade was a heck of a lot less than 20.

Just venting too.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by larfboy

Cool 'Lambo' doors! Sorry they had to die with the car, though.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wholeflaffer

Cool 'Lambo' doors! Sorry they had to die with the car, though.
nope...driver and passenger walked away...209 mph crash ....SLR with a golf...209 mph crash and both passenger and driver walking away from it....freakin SLR rocks!
Old 05-20-2005, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope...driver and passenger walked away...209 mph crash ....SLR with a golf...209 mph crash and both passenger and driver walking away from it....freakin SLR rocks!
Sorry...I meant the doors died, not the passengers. However, I am VERY happy to hear that everyone could just walk away, dazed but healthy. Thanks God for modern automobile design...keep up the continual improvement, all you automotive engineers out there!
Old 05-20-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
what the f do you want for less than 20? sry,....just venting
Well, I'd like the paint to hold up better than it is. My tC has 6,000 miles on it and more paint chips missing than my trade in did at 60,000 miles. And my trade was a heck of a lot less than 20.

Just venting too.
The paint I can see being an issue for some. It sounds like some people are having issues with theirs being thin. Mine seems to be ok. Just a couple of well deserved rock chips after 14k miles. But the suspension you mentioned is not poor design. They balanced between handling and ride. When you go with sportier handling you will lose the ride quality some.