Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Short Throw Shifter Debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Short Throw Shifter Debate

I've looked at some of the earlier posts and I'm a little confused. There's some contradictory information. I was wondering if we could get some facts here and maybe solve this once and for all. So please, let's keep opinions down to a minimum and talk turkey.

Now, there are three short throw shifters I'm considering:
-B&M which I'm familier with from my domestic knowledge.
-TWM which I see a lot of people talking about
-TRD which of course should be included because, well, they made the car.

Two things need to be gained from the swap:
1) A shorter throw (duh) - I want the **** to travel a shorter distance between gears.
2) A shorter stick - Right now I could hang a coat on it. We need to cut this sucka down.

So, what info is out there by people who actually have the parts or know their way around them. I don't want to hear website claims as those tend to be, well, biased. Experience and facts, folks. What kind of numbers are we talking?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I own a TWM Stage II Short Throw Shifter, and it reduced the height pretty decently, claimed as 2.5", which sits as a perfect height for a guy my size (5'10"/165lbs), and reduced the throw 35% supposedly; which from my experience, was a good reduction in throw; made shifts noticeably easier during hard, agressive shifts. The install was alright (just the stupid metal ring that was a pain in the ___ to get off), and it's certainly a product that was well worth every penny.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

TWM Stage 2 here as well. Throw is very short. Stick height is for me perhaps too short-- I only have the **** threaded on 3.5 turns.

Product is exceedingly well made. Personal recommendation: if you go with a shifter as short (physically) as the TWM stage 2, a weighted **** is a must-- the heavier the better. Even with the TWM 1lb Classic ****, there's still an appreciable increase in shift effort (though more than offset by the decrease in shift throw).
Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the B&M. It provides a short throw while staying at stock height.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the B&M is supposed to be about 1/2" shorter. Same with the TWM Stage 1. The TRD is supposed to be at stock height.

If you want a reduced **** height... your only options are really the TWM Stage 2 or the Creative Compacts. The CC is about a 2" drop and something like 30%-33% throw reduction.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default shift me

I am hoping to get a short throw shifter. I want to get theTRD one because it has a whole new piece to install; there is no modifications needed. But I was told it is on national back order. What kind of crap is that !
Old 10-11-2005, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

National backorder? Wtf?

The TRD would be nice, but it's a bit pricey. Even with the TRD **** included ( :drool: ). I wanted that in the beginning b/c it keeps the stock height, but now that I have the CC one and it's a bit lower, I do really love it.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: shift me

Originally Posted by Djicey702
I am hoping to get a short throw shifter. I want to get theTRD one because it has a whole new piece to install; there is no modifications needed. But I was told it is on national back order. What kind of crap is that !
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to mention that the installation of our shifter doesn't actually require "modification" of any stock parts. You simply need to remove the stock shifter from its shift assembly which is a very simple process and can be viewed here: http://www.twmperformance.com/manual...C%20Manual.pdf

As mentioned above, we offer two shifters for the tC. Our stage 1 reduces **** height by .5" and shift throw by 25% while stage 2 is more aggressive with a 2.5" **** height reduction and a 35% reduction in throw. You can purchase them both here: TWM tC Short Shifters

As always we're here on the forums should you have any questions for us

Cheers,

Karel W.
TWM
Old 10-12-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could you ever revert back to stock if you wanted to? I've only heard great things about the short throw shifters, but I'm not sure if the height decrease/extra shifting effort is for me... Worst case scenario, could I uninstall it and revert back to stock if I don't like it, or will I need to purchase some new oem parts again?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a B&M and its great.
i installed the spacers at the bottom of the shifter cage, so the **** height seems stock to me. if it is shorter, its not obvious.
if you want to go back to stock, you'll probably need to replace the lock ring that comes with the shifter. if you can remove it without destroying it, then reuse it or buy a replacement at a hardware store for less than $1.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just ordered the TWM stage 2 ss. Hopefully it will be in this weekend before i goto HIN.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Legal Disclaimer TWM Performance is not responsible for the misuse, incorrect installation, or failure of any product we sell.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Every B&M shifter goes through rigorous CAD development before it ever goes into production to assure the highest quality shifters available. While the stick is CNC manufactured from 303-stainless steel, the pivot ball is machined from high-quality billet aluminum. Best of all, the Scion tC shifter reuses the factory shift ball, shifter boot and comes with a million mile B&M warranty. Don’t settle for sloppy gear transitions, shift with B&M!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member

Every B&M shifter goes through rigorous CAD development before it ever goes into production to assure the highest quality shifters available. While the stick is CNC manufactured from 303-stainless steel, the pivot ball is machined from high-quality billet aluminum. Best of all, the Scion tC shifter reuses the factory shift ball, shifter boot and comes with a million mile B&M warranty. Don’t settle for sloppy gear transitions, shift with B&M!
Hmm, so what's your point? You take two random pieces of text from the two sites which have absolutely nothing to do with each other and expect people to be able to draw some sort of conclusion from it? You're comparing a legal disclaimer with a block of ad copy.

Why don't you go find the legal details of B&M's warranty and compare that to the one on the TWM site, at least they provide the information on their site for customers to look at, B&M just says "we offer a million mile warranty" but there are no legal details. I've got a TWM and am proud to say it, it's a fantastic shifter and I'd recommend to anyone.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Some good info here.

I'll tell ya, I'd go with the B&M in a heartbeat if it lowered the height at all. I've used them before, had friends that have them in their cars and know that it's a quality product. But alas, the ball will still be the same height.

As to the Legal Disclaimer vs. Ad print comment. I agree. You've gotta compare apples to apples. That being said, most all aftermarket performance products who want to stay open for more than a week have to have something like that disclaimer.

There are plenty of idiots out there who will install the product upside down and then claim that it was the company's fault for them screwing up their transmission. I've found most of them are happy to help when a manufacturing defect is found or if you need a little part that was forgotten in the kit. With one exception, RKsport, but I don't beleive they get anywhere near import parts so you guys are safe.

That TWM is looking mighty fine so far. Hmmm....
Old 10-13-2005, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you want the b&m shifter lower? do what i did , cut off 1/2 inch with a dremel tool now its perfect! (in height not shifting) as for shifting i cant speak for twm but the b&M shifts like a toggle switch! its stiff and very notchey, iam gonna try to get the trd shifter i hate that notchy action.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IttyBitty
Hmm, so what's your point? You take two random pieces of text from the two sites which have absolutely nothing to do with each other and expect people to be able to draw some sort of conclusion from it? You're comparing a legal disclaimer with a block of ad copy.

Why don't you go find the legal details of B&M's warranty and compare that to the one on the TWM site, at least they provide the information on their site for customers to look at, B&M just says "we offer a million mile warranty" but there are no legal details. I've got a TWM and am proud to say it, it's a fantastic shifter and I'd recommend to anyone.
Well, I never heard of that company
Old 10-13-2005, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone live in Fort Lauderdale? If so let me check out your shifter before I buy mine. he he !
Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

that metal ring was a b**** to get off the stock assembly. I hauled ___ to the local wal-mart with the whole center console in the backseat and finshed the install in the parking lot.