Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Should I trade the 07' FM for an 2000 Audi S4?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that motor is far from bulletproof. turbo seals and gaskets regularly go bad. pay the extra monthly payment to keep your reliable car with warranty that will retain its resale value. and your payment might be lower, but just to maintain it, and difference in insurance...who knows? keep the scion
Old 02-11-2008, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^Great advice...
Old 02-11-2008, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if u get it, u might want to keep 10000 on the side for rebuilds. their race engines r more reliable than their street engines. lol on that note i'm audi 5000
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

that $40 savings in car payment will be made up for in your 2nd car payment (gas) and the insurance will skyrocket.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True all the things you've guys stated are right with the maintnence and all, but you all missed about the snow traveling. I don't want to say the TC sucks in the snow, but it definitely is lacking. Living in Wisconsin I should've taken that into account but it's kinda late now. Buying a 90's 4x4 Toyota would be nice but I would have a few problems with that. 1.) I already have 2 cars (TC and 69' Skylark which I am restoring and dont have the heart to get rid of.) which I dont have any more room for. 2.) Getting the $4k plus for one. 3.) Finding a decent one. 4.) High car ins. bill. Oh and I don't really know why I added the color, it kinda comes out of habit.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Audi's lose resale value very fast, so that's why you can get it cheap. Plus labor and parts are a fortune, trust me, I used to work for Audi. At 90k miles, you can expect the suspension, brakes, belts, and a few small things to start going out. I'm guessing the price on it is around 15-20k, but you can easily expect to dumb another 5-8k into it, just to keep it from falling apart.

The Audi may cost cheaper payment wise, but the tC is a cheaper car to own.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

audi's are nice and all but i wouldn't really trust 'em over a tC after having one, especially not with a lot of miles on it.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea yea you guys are right. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess all I saw was the dollar signs. Also on the account that the dealership chain I work for owns a Toyota dealership and I know all the techs there it would be pretty foolish. I suppose I will just deal with it in the snow.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Get some blizzaks, they make a huge difference in the snow. Otherwise if you're really looking into getting something better for the snow, I'd say just get a small AWD SUV. You obviously don't have a problem buying a used car (I hate not knowing about the cars history), so maybe something like a 4runner (same milage as the S4 would get, safer, more reliable, cheaper insurance).

Don't get me wrong tho, that S4 would be a blast to drive, it's just not worth the money and hassle, plus you already got the Skylark as the project car, no sense in having to dump money into 2 cars to keep them both running.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

its ur choice man!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, and now a total noob question. How to post pics. I get that you have to an album (photobucket) which I have, and I realize you need to do the [img], [img/]. thing before and after, but I am kinda computer illiterate so yea....
Old 02-11-2008, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just some info for you as I work at APR and have had a lot of experience with the 2.7T bi-turbo.

1) The stock turbos are known to go out after ~75k miles. Servicing and/or replacing the turbo's requires pulling the engine.
2) The center information display is known to go bad after a while, not hard to replace if you know what you are doing.
3) It's an Audi, as such you will be paying a premium on _ALL_ maintenance.
4) You can make it insanely f'in fast with little investment.

As a daily driver, it can be reliable if you have proper maintenance records. Then again, I wouldn't buy any used car that had no record of maintenance performed. You'd be surprised how many idiots there are out there that don't change their oil at all.

If you are looking for something reliable no matter what, stick with the tC and get a set of decent snow tires and wheels. You'd be surprised how much tires will make a difference. As drax said, however much you save on monthly payments by swapping to the S4 will quickly be dwarfed by maintenance (whether preventative or required). There are better choices out there as far as bang for the buck.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Obsoletepunk04
Ok, and now a total noob question. How to post pics. I get that you have to an album (photobucket) which I have, and I realize you need to do the [img], [img/]. thing before and after, but I am kinda computer illiterate so yea....
Just get the link to the image, right click it and select this

Then in the forum text box, click this button once to get "[img]"

Then past the link after [img].

Then click the same button one more time to close it, it will say [/img].

It should look like this "[img]link[/img]"

If the picture is on your hard drive, as opposed to a picture on the web, just use a site like tinypic.com to host the image, then copy the "Direct Link for Layouts" link and use that in the same manner.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Should I trade the 07' FM for an 2000 Audi S4?!

Originally Posted by Obsoletepunk04
Ive been thinking about this and would like someone else's opinion on the matter. There a few pros and cons. I am buying a new house and it would be a little nicer to have a little less of a car payment. My buddy just got an A4 quattro and with the 20in of snow we just got last week it was quite nice to go through it rather than plow it with my lowered TC. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the S4's. It has the 2.7 TT motor that I have read to be a rather bullet proof motor. I found one for sale locally that looks kinda sick. Although it has 90k on it rather than the 24k on mine. But on the other hand my payments would be $40 cheaper and a whole year less of a loan. Im undecided.
short answer... Yes. absolutely imo. no brainer.

The 2.7 TT V6 isnt "bulletproof" but i'm sure its pretty strong and reliable. I do know audi was having some issues with their turbo motors a while back (possibly around 2000), but heck man, its an Audi and its an S4! I'd much rather take my chances on that than a Scion. :D

Just be aware that a factory turbo motor like that with 90K on the clock is going to need to be monitored and properly maintained. Might have to refurbish turbo and/or supporting mods.

More performance/safety/reliability/quality for less $$$$...sounds good to me.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to have an Audi A6, traded it for my tC. I loved the Audi in the snow. BUT, I hated that after I hit 70k miles I had it in the shop every 2 months and without fail it cost a minimum of $1000 per visit.
After owning the Audi, I am completely off German cars simply because I don't want to spend my life savings repairing a car.

If you are set on getting AWD, might I recommend a Subaru? The current gen Legacy has AWD, turbo, and actually has a bulletproof engine.

My old Audi:
Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now ya see I was looking at those but I dont know anybody that has ever owned one. The WRX I was looking at too but I dont want to join that seen, just like the Evo. They are nice and all but I dont think thats my style.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If I were to get an older Audi, I'd get something worth it.

They were banned from Rally for a reason.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Audi was the originator of AWD rallies. Without them there would be no Subbies or Evo's.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by landark
I used to have an Audi A6, traded it for my tC. I loved the Audi in the snow. BUT, I hated that after I hit 70k miles I had it in the shop every 2 months and without fail it cost a minimum of $1000 per visit.
After owning the Audi, I am completely off German cars simply because I don't want to spend my life savings repairing a car.

If you are set on getting AWD, might I recommend a Subaru? The current gen Legacy has AWD, turbo, and actually has a bulletproof engine.

My old Audi:
1. you had a 90's Audi
2. You had an "A" series

Those 2 factors alone pretty much explain the negative attributes u mentioned.

Non wrx/sti suby's are beat. the legacy motor is not bulletproof any more than the 2.7TT would be. Suby's are kinda cheapo too. might as well stick with a scion.

Audi S4 >>>> Scion tc. There is no debate here. Of course its going to cost you more in gas and maintainence....its a LUXURY SEDAN!!! To make up for it, its also got WAY more helpful/usable features (AWD and more power being the keys).

Anyone who would tell you to keep a Scion tc over an S4 doesn't care about you and is just a bit too in love with Scions... Lets not be naive here people.....
Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
Originally Posted by landark

My old Audi:
1. you had a 90's Audi
2. You had an "A" series

Those 2 factors alone pretty much explain the negative attributes u mentioned.

Non wrx/sti suby's are beat. the legacy motor is not bulletproof any more than the 2.7TT would be. Suby's are kinda cheapo too. might as well stick with a scion.

Audi S4 >>>> Scion tc. There is no debate here. Of course its going to cost you more in gas and maintainence....its a LUXURY SEDAN!!! To make up for it, its also got WAY more helpful/usable features (AWD and more power being the keys).

Anyone who would tell you to keep a Scion tc over an S4 doesn't care about you and is just a bit too in love with Scions... Lets not be naive here people.....
You just contradicted your other post about the S4 costing less. It's an Audi with 90k miles, regardless of the model/class, it's cost of ownership is damn near double that of the tC. If you read the thread, you would know that he's not looking to spend more to get more features, he's looking to cut back on cost to get AWD.

Originally Posted by SePaTc
More performance/safety/reliability/quality for less $$$$...sounds good to me.

Quick Reply: Should I trade the 07' FM for an 2000 Audi S4?!