Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Should I trade the 07' FM for an 2000 Audi S4?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Obsoletepunk04
Audi was the originator of AWD rallies. Without them there would be no Subbies or Evo's.
And if it wasn't for Subaru and Mitsu crying like little _____es because they stood no chance at all against Audi, Audi would still be competing in WRC . World leader in motorsports and they could easily have no competition if it wasn't for league limitations.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Although it would be quite nice to do this with no worries.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love the boxy Audis, my friend has an Audi 90 and that thing has been through hell and back, and it still goes. Notice that I didn't say strong. It's previous owner, his cousin, trashed it terribly. But it is amazing for what it's been through.
I still say go for it.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

i dont know. My family was thinking of getting an audi, but we didnt because repair costs are so high.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Originally Posted by SePaTc
Originally Posted by landark
I used to have an Audi A6, traded it for my tC. I loved the Audi in the snow. BUT, I hated that after I hit 70k miles I had it in the shop every 2 months and without fail it cost a minimum of $1000 per visit.
After owning the Audi, I am completely off German cars simply because I don't want to spend my life savings repairing a car.

If you are set on getting AWD, might I recommend a Subaru? The current gen Legacy has AWD, turbo, and actually has a bulletproof engine.

My old Audi:
1. you had a 90's Audi
2. You had an "A" series

Those 2 factors alone pretty much explain the negative attributes u mentioned.

Non wrx/sti suby's are beat. the legacy motor is not bulletproof any more than the 2.7TT would be. Suby's are kinda cheapo too. might as well stick with a scion.

Audi S4 >>>> Scion tc. There is no debate here. Of course its going to cost you more in gas and maintainence....its a LUXURY SEDAN!!! To make up for it, its also got WAY more helpful/usable features (AWD and more power being the keys).

Anyone who would tell you to keep a Scion tc over an S4 doesn't care about you and is just a bit too in love with Scions... Lets not be naive here people.....
You just contradicted your other post about the S4 costing less. It's an Audi with 90k miles, regardless of the model/class, it's cost of ownership is damn near double that of the tC. If you read the thread, you would know that he's not looking to spend more to get more features, he's looking to cut back on cost to get AWD.

More performance/safety/reliability/quality for less $$$$...sounds good to me.
you continually reaffirm my belief that ALL jersey people are morons.

if you don't understand something.... PM me.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member

i would trade my tc for an S4 in a heartbeat, not the b5 tho i want the V8. i LOVE the way that engine revs
Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

never buy german...lease em....get rid of them when the headaches show up...
Old 02-12-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 5speedonly
i would trade my tc for an S4 in a heartbeat, not the b5 tho i want the V8. i LOVE the way that engine revs
yup. 4.2 V8 + AWD > 2.7 V6 TT + AWD. i talked to a guy with a new V8 S4....not even a real car buff....he said he LOVES it.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The car already weighs enough. I'll pass on the V8.

I like the way the B5s perform (after chipped mind you) and look better.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to have an Audi A6, traded it for my tC. I loved the Audi in the snow. BUT, I hated that after I hit 70k miles I had it in the shop every 2 months and without fail it cost a minimum of $1000 per visit.
After owning the Audi, I am completely off German cars simply because I don't want to spend my life savings repairing a car.

If you are set on getting AWD, might I recommend a Subaru? The current gen Legacy has AWD, turbo, and actually has a bulletproof engine.

My old Audi:
1. you had a 90's Audi
2. You had an "A" series

Non wrx/sti suby's are beat. the legacy motor is not bulletproof any more than the 2.7TT would be. Suby's are kinda cheapo too. might as well stick with a scion.

Audi S4 >>>> Scion tc. There is no debate here. Of course its going to cost you more in gas and maintainence....its a LUXURY SEDAN!!! To make up for it, its also got WAY more helpful/usable features (AWD and more power being the keys).

Anyone who would tell you to keep a Scion tc over an S4 doesn't care about you and is just a bit too in love with Scions... Lets not be naive here people.....
You just contradicted your other post about the S4 costing less. It's an Audi with 90k miles, regardless of the model/class, it's cost of ownership is damn near double that of the tC. If you read the thread, you would know that he's not looking to spend more to get more features, he's looking to cut back on cost to get AWD.

Trading in for the S4 he is looking at will cost him more. That thing will be in the shop every month, and very very very soon needing new turbos at the least which isnt close to cheap.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlckdOutTC

My old Audi:
1. you had a 90's Audi
2. You had an "A" series

Trading in for the S4 he is looking at will cost him more. That thing will be in the shop every month, and very very very soon needing new turbos at the least which isnt close to cheap.
theres no way any car could be in the shop more than mine has been, so....i have trouble accepting that arguement.

when you replace the turbos, you can also use RS4 turbos and intercoolers and get a nice bump in power.

i really don't know why you're arguing against an awd turbo v6 compared to a crappy tc.... :D
Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Cost of ownership on the S4 will be higher than the tC over span of 3 years.

Prove me wrong.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're from jersey.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

you're from jersey.
Cost of ownership on the S4 will be higher than the tC over span of 3 years.

Prove me wrong.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

S4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tc
Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I guess you can't prove me wrong then.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YOU CAN'T PROVE YOURSELF RIGHT EITHER! moron... your are merely SPECULATING that an S4 will cost more. If you're a dumbass it will. i know at least 2 guys with S4s and NEITHER has had anywhere NEAR the problems and expenses that i've had with my car.

PLUS, with a tc, you have to pay out the butt to come anywhere close to matching the performance of an S4

PLUS, say theres a big snowstorm and you crash your dinky tc because it sucks in the snow.... then you're out for your deductible, plus rental car and whatever other expense u might occur.

while with a awd car, you probably could have avoided the wreck.

See genius?? Its not that hard to SPECULATE. He said the payments were less than he's paying for the tc. In the end, it probably all works out to be about the same, give or take $100 or so.......

the point is, he wants awd because he lives in WISCONSIN... Not NEW JERSEY.

"My buddy just got an A4 quattro and with the 20in of snow we just got last week it was quite nice to go through it rather than plow it with my lowered TC."

"my payments would be $40 cheaper and a whole year less of a loan."

There. You're wrong. happy?
Old 02-13-2008, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Insurance will be more.

Gas milage will be worse.

The S4 can't run on 87 octane.

Maintenance of an Audi S class with 0 problems costs more money than a tC under warranty.

I'm still waiting for you to prove me wrong.

And if you read the thread, I suggested getting something like a 4Runner. Clearly you didn't read the thread though, because you're too busy trying to troll.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Difference in gas milage alone = cost of monthly payment difference.

At a low 200 miles a week, which is only 10k miles a year, the difference is approx $34 per month.

Gas for tC
(27mpg/200miles)($2.75/gal) = (20.37(52))/12 = $88.27/month

Gas for the S4
(20mpg/200)($3.05/gal) = (30.50(52))/12 = $132.16/month

And I'm giving the S4 a high average gas milage, it was rated with the old system @ 15 city, 22 hwy.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Insurance price difference for a 22 year old, single male home owner, living in Dalton Wi (random town), with zero accidents and zero violations on his driving record.

$149/mo for the S4.

$130/mo for the tC.

Quick Reply: Should I trade the 07' FM for an 2000 Audi S4?!