Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Sketchy Car Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member

Default Sketchy Car Dealers

So I've been talking to 2 different car dealers out in LA (both at different locations in LA). For one of them, I put down a $500 deposit and he told me that he would get the car I wanted (as you can see below, a Silver 06 with side airbags--not that common).

Anyway, this other dealer told me that he can actually "see" the cars coming in and out of the port and he sees one coming in around the time that I want it. He told me that he can get the options changed at the port to exactly the accessories that I so desire. He also says it's due at the port on the 27th of July.

The problem with this second guy is that he says that he can only keep it on "his" lot for 24 hours. So if i'm coming into LA on the 15th, he says he wants me to put down more than the $1000 deposit to give him the piece of mind that i'm actually going to buy it. So he wants $5000 (fully refundable mind you). So this way he'll stall it at the port until the 6th of August then on his lot until the 15th.

Does all this sound right? Can they do this stalling? Is that a normal size deposit of 1000? Can he see anything? If so, can he change the options that the car has to something different?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From my own exp., they cant do that. A majority of the cars in port are for people already since they are so behind making them. He's prolly pulling your leg, and is just going to order you one. Then when the 15th comes around he'll say he couldnt hold it any longer, and say another 2 weeks (really the remaining two weeks on the ordered car). This way they get your business. Dont trust dealers, almost all lie! Sorry, but its the truth.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Long story short, your dealer is full of crap. The only cars he can "see" coming into port are those that are actually allocated for his dealership. A $5000 deposit is completely inappropriate, $500 is the standard, and if he won't keep it on the lot for you for that deposit, tell him to go screw himself and go to another dealership.

See, you have the problem that a lot of people seem to. It's a problem that I frankly don't understand. You seem to be afraid to just walk away from a deal that you can already tell is sketchy. Remember: if you THINK it's sketchy, odds are it is. WALK AWAY. There are a million dealerships out there, a lot of them are honest and would really appreciate your business.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

dude if you go in and finance a car through the dealer, they will get you every option you want as long there is one at port by the time your payments are scheduled to begin.

i ordered a flint mica 5 sp with the ipod upgrade. i was told that it may take up to 10 weeks to get it... two weeks before my payments were going to begin, i got a call from the dealer...bam done deal. i took delievery and make my first payment next week. they will get it to you.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I only had to put $100 down for my 06 tC. Sounds like the dealer is in the drivers seat because of the shortage of tC's. I'd either talk to the manager or go to a different dealer.

Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah, he is full of crap. I had the a similar problem with my BSP tC. I put $500 down on one that was about 300 miles away on a Saturday. He said it would be there by Tues, I waited all freakin week and he kept giving me the run around. So I called another dealership and he had a BSP on the lot. So I went back to the previous dealer and demanded to get my $500 back and he tried to tell me all about that it was on transit and a bunch of other BS. Long story short. I was driving my tC the next day.