Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Solid-Tech's prototype turbo kit fitment finished

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

New to the turbo tech so can someone explain the pro's and con's between dumping out to the atmosphere compared to dumping it into the exhaust.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well, the wastegate regulates exhaust flow, thereby limiting the rotation speed of the turbo and thus the amount of pressure it makes. That "bled off" exhaust has to go somewhere, so you can either pipe it back into the normal exhaust or dump it out underneath the car somewhere....

Piping it back into the exhaust keeps the car quiet, so when the wastegate opens and starts bleeding off exhaust flow you won't hear it. This creates some turbulence in the exhaust however, and the reduced flow robs power....

External dump makes more power (as the wastegate essentially has it's own little exhaust) but can be really loud.....it will only be really loud when you get on the throttle and make boost however, so during normal driving you probably won't even notice it......

It's really a tradeoff of noise vs. power. Some people like everything to be as loud as possible, others prefer the reduced noise. We typically do atmospheric dumps as they do make more power, and usually when you're 'getting on it the louder the better ;)
B
Old 07-12-2004, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You the man firedrake..thanx for the info!! Go Solid-Tech!!
Old 07-13-2004, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got any new pics for us? :D
Old 07-13-2004, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick@AGP

We also do DSM kits and have customers making 500-520hp on pump gas. We've seen 700+ on race gas .
if anyone hasn't heard of AGP (which all of you turbo guys SHOULD know of them) I can vouch for them. I know people who have used their turbos on DSMs and they are AWESOME..

Hey AGP !! how bout some scion xB love! turbo???
Old 07-13-2004, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Threw a couple of parts up for a pic......that BOV pictured is the type-H for venting to atmosphere rather than back into the intake. Because these are MAF cars, that sometimes causes them to run rich between shifts (loss of air in the system) but makes the cool psssssshhhh sound.....
We won't be releasing pics of the kit until we're taking deposits and have some power numbers, we wouldn't want anyone out there imitating what we're working hard on.....
B
Old 07-13-2004, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's gonna go on as to exhaust? Are you going to offer an option of recirculating valve rather than blowoff?

Am I the only one that's probably too excited?
Old 07-13-2004, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no im just as excited. looking for as much hp as I can safely get for a good price.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Adam H
What's gonna go on as to exhaust? Are you going to offer an option of recirculating valve rather than blowoff?

Am I the only one that's probably too excited?
We're not worrying about the exhaust right now, as we want to represent the kind of results you would get if you got a tC and bolted on our kit with no other mods (much like people will be doing with the supercharger).....later we'll be adding a full 3 inch exhaust and downpipe, although that downpipe would be a VERY close fit to the A/C line.....heck, if all goes well we'd like to have a scion tC competing IDRC, but kit sales would have to go really well for us to have the $$$ to do that

I should have clarified, the type-H comes as a bypass valve model

If there is no way to use an atmosphere BOV, we'll be using the bypass model. If the atmosphere BOV works out fine, we'll offer a choice between the type-H and the type-H RFL....
B
Old 07-13-2004, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you build it well the $$$s will come.

at a reasonable price of course.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the RFL that much louder than the the H? I too am excited..hold on..were's my tissue?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rice Kake
Is the RFL that much louder than the the H? I too am excited..hold on..were's my tissue?
and if so why?
Old 07-13-2004, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah, the RFL is louder because it focuses the air being blown off out of a horn whereas the type-H blows out the air all around......RFL = Real F***ing Loud ;)
B
Old 07-13-2004, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is great news...i am glad to see some actual photos veryifying you all are working hard on the kit i cannot wait to see the power numbers and your kit in the final stages before production......i also cannot wait to see what kind of pricing will be available for it and if there wil be different stages to your kits (would be helpful IMHO)

are you all also gonna design and develop a full 3" turbo back exhaust system? with 3" O2 housing?

keep up the good work,

Dustin
Old 07-14-2004, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

We do plan to do a 3 inch exhaust, you won't need an 02 housing because it will be part of the downpipe (o2 housings are typical on DSM's because the housing is a seperate part).....we want to show numbers with the stock exhaust first, so people know what they'll be getting with no other bolt ons.....

There will only be two stages for now, the stage 1 will be non-intercooled and aiming for 200 whp to compete with the TRD charger, and the stage 2 will be intercooled looking for 235-250++. Pricing is still being figured out, but we should have the stage 1 available in another 2 weeks or so. As always, if you'd like to be on our email update list shoot me an email brian@solid-technology.com

I've still got to get this thing broken in so we can put down some preliminary dyno numbers ;)
B
Old 07-14-2004, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can I get an Hell Yeah!!
Old 07-14-2004, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The AGP scion is enjoying its break in miles.

We'll take measurements and junk for a FMIC tommorow on my car. See if what master Kevin can think of doing. Ben is tinting my windows so I'm dropping my car off with him for a bit for them to enjoy.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh man, I just saw the article in Turbo magazine on the boosted tC. That intercooler looks too sweet sitting up front!!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've already got money put back for a turbo for the tC. Im just going to make sure it's a good kit. (this one looks sweet) I made the mistake of buying the first turbo that hit the market for my celica (turboperformance) and it sucked bad and it took forever because they kept forgetting to ship stuff. Keep us posted I WANT ONE!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Right on.....everything is coming along nicely, cars are getting their break in mileage before going to the dyno. We're trying to figure out the best place for the gauges (Greddy EGT and Boost)....
Does anyone think a dual pod right above the middle vents would look OK?
Brian

Quick Reply: Solid-Tech's prototype turbo kit fitment finished