2005-2010 [ANT10]

Solid-Tech's prototype turbo kit fitment finished

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Firedrake
Right on.....everything is coming along nicely, cars are getting their break in mileage before going to the dyno. We're trying to figure out the best place for the gauges (Greddy EGT and Boost)....
Does anyone think a dual pod right above the middle vents would look OK?
Brian
That was one of my suggestions. Yes, I think it would look good. However, I would only get one if I could mount it without damaging the dash, in case I want to remove it later.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds great to me firedrake..although I will probably glass it to either the useless pocket where the lighter is or on the left a-pillar. That middle portion of the dash is where my Focal center channel is going. Thanx for the news, cuz you know were all waiting.................................................................................................................................
Old 07-19-2004, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

silverstreakersc

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:13 pm Post subject: So I want to the dealer today... good news *s/c news*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I ordered my silver streak tc today, and was asking about the s/c. The Scion manager told me that the s/c would be introduced at the sema show, and that the install includes a reflash of the ecu, new injectors, and crank pulley. The price no more that $3500

Any comments? Nick, Brian?
Old 07-19-2004, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cornfield
no im just as excited. looking for as much hp as I can safely get for a good price.
you should be able to get to 400hp easily, and with some upgraded internals up to 600 hp.. good luck!

Old 07-20-2004, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$3500 for s/c kit that may make 180fwhp or $2500 for a turbo kit that will make 220-230fwhp, better power band, more torque, and much faster...

Do whatever you want. Turbo will be for people who want to be fast, s/c for people who like the stock car and just want a bit more power and pay the extra just so they can say its TRD.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AMEN brother!! Were waiting.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Old 07-20-2004, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member

I plan on getting this turbo kit for the tc when I get it, but I wanted to know what the deal is with having a turbo charged car and your insurance company allowing it. I live in Jacksonvile Florida and im on State Farm insurance. I tried asking a secretary on the phone at state farm and she didnt even know what a turbo charger was so she asked the manager and all he said was they wouldnt insure me if I had NOS or roll cages in my car so I was wondering if you all could help me.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

As far as I know when it comes to modified cars (same thing goes for performance mods or stereo stuff) is you need to let them know the value of the mods on the vehicle and they'll tell you what to do. We've had some customers where the insurance company simply says "keep your reciepts" and as long as you have those, if the car is wrecked they'll reimburse you. We've had other customers who have their cars insured for additional $$$ equal to the money spent in mods and their rates go up accordingly (and on some cars with $40,000+ worth of mods, that can be significant)......
Best thing to do is ask the company about their policy on stereo equipment, as performance mods are similar insurance-wise.....
B
Old 07-20-2004, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member

thanks for the info
Old 07-20-2004, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Man this kit looks like it's going to be really nice. Post 1/4 mile times. I'll be going to the track with my turbo scion in a few months. Have to get my license first.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick@AGP
$3500 for s/c kit that may make 180fwhp or $2500 for a turbo kit that will make 220-230fwhp, better power band, more torque, and much faster...

Do whatever you want. Turbo will be for people who want to be fast, s/c for people who like the stock car and just want a bit more power and pay the extra just so they can say its TRD.

errrrr no...

-factory warranty
-not saying that this turbo kit isn't reliable but i rather have something TRD
-quality saying again that i dont' this turbo kit isn't gonna be something crappy
-some people prefer superchargers rather than turbo just like some people like N/A and some like Nitrous
Old 07-20-2004, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mach5 is right some people like superchargers better.......we call them old people. Give me turbo over an S/C any day.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC56
Mach5 is right some people like superchargers better.......we call them old people. Give me turbo over an S/C any day.
Yup top fuel cars sure are driven by old people .

Superchargers will give you a smoother powerband. I am sure this kit will not have much lag, due to the small turbo used, but the supercharger has no lag.

Now you could agrue parasidic drag losses as a con for superchargers, and the greater flexibility of a turbo system, ect. ect. BUT the real issue in this TC turbo/supercharger debate is warranty.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC56
haha...what a bias statement....

Mach5 does have the best point....especially since this is the first production year and model for this car....think about it...

while u are voiding your warranty with a turbo kit that may make more HP and torque...thats cool but people that pay the extra cash for a higher quality product like the TRD supercharger it will still be under the factory warranty and this will be true for most people that DONT have money rollin out their a$$ or mommy & daddy to pay for stuff that tears up while u should have been under warranty....now if u have the money to do this or mommy and daddy to back u up then thas cool...

now i am not saying that solid-tech's turbo is not gonna be any good at all...im sure it will be a great product i have read alot of their website concerning their kits and they look very high quality....

however i would rather keep the factory warranty around for as long as possible to keep the amount of money u end up paying in the future if re-calls start happening with the tC....

just my .02
Old 07-20-2004, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive been waiting to see how long it would take before someone finally said that. Its been the root that no one dug up. But it doesnt belong here. This thread is for the creation and promotion of an aftermarket product that many of us are wanting and waiting for by trained pros. I agree the warranty issue is what makes the 3000 bux seem worth the price for the SC and I dont want to void my warranty any more than the next guy. Aftermarket add ons is the easiest legality we can prevent. But this isnt the thread for it. There are already too many threads containing the debate as it is. Any topics other than those pertaining to this turbo would probably be better off on another thread..but to each his/her own. As for me, Im waiting.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Old 07-20-2004, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rice Kake
Ive been waiting to see how long it would take before someone finally said that. Its been the root that no one dug up. But it doesnt belong here. This thread is for the creation and promotion of an aftermarket product that many of us are wanting and waiting for by trained pros. I agree the warranty issue is what makes the 3000 bux seem worth the price for the SC and I dont want to void my warranty any more than the next guy. Aftermarket add ons is the easiest legality we can prevent. But this isnt the thread for it. There are already too many threads containing the debate as it is. Any topics other than those pertaining to this turbo would probably be better off on another thread..but to each his/her own. As for me, Im waiting.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
very true....i just had to say somethin after seeing all of the repeated discussion about this...

and u are correct this isnt the correct thread to be talking about this....

my apologies go to solid-tech....keep up the good work...any updates on progress?
Old 07-20-2004, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How bout a compromise? Twin charging.

Have a supercharger and a turbo charger. AW11 Mr2 had a system like that.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Word Twizted...any updates other than some new tint? Are we getting close to DYNO?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a question for nick or firedrake. can you integrate the precat or cat into the downpipe? or is that out of the question
Old 07-20-2004, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

am i the only one who thinks that turbo's a tad on the small side... reminds me of my mom's hairdryer :?

Quick Reply: Solid-Tech's prototype turbo kit fitment finished