Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Somethings up with my AC.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Somethings up with my AC.....

Maybe im just having a blonde moment or something, but recently ive realized that when im stopped at a light or whenever my car is at idle for more than 20 seconds or so, i hear a ratteling noise from the AC. ill turn the AC off, and the noise will stop, but if i turn it back on, itll start up again, my friend told me its the AC compressor?! idk im not that familiar with cars and all, but i was just woudnering if this is normal or not, because it wasnt making this sound like 2 months ago....so am i just over reacting or should i bring it in? thanks!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could also be a bad bearing, take it in to the dealor.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is that and what does that mean?! sorry lol, im not really that familiar with the stuff under the hood!
Old 10-10-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You sure it isn't your radiator fans?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Meghann
what is that and what does that mean?! sorry lol, im not really that familiar with the stuff under the hood!
Take it to the dealer. Sounds like it'll do it easily, such that you can show the dealer and have them provide you with either an explanation, or if required, a repair. It should only take a few minutes, and you should get a definitive answer, as opposed to only logical guesses people here can provide.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Although I don't have weird sounds coming from my AC, but lately I've been noticing weird smells. My car has over 13,000 miles on it, so I don't think it's the "break in" smell. It's not umbearable and gross, just a weird scent. Any ideas?
Old 10-13-2006, 03:06 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hsua
Although I don't have weird sounds coming from my AC, but lately I've been noticing weird smells. My car has over 13,000 miles on it, so I don't think it's the "break in" smell. It's not umbearable and gross, just a weird scent. Any ideas?
http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/t...p?p_faqid=4243

I clean mine as Toyota recommends about once a year (beginning of summer, usually) and have no problems. I've done this for years on many cars.

Tomas
Old 10-13-2006, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that helped a lot, thanks!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting; I had the same problem after a long trip. I usually recirculate the air in the car to avoid sucking in the traffic jam fumes out here that smell charred.

I think I'll try and spray mine because when I turned on my AC, it smelled "weird" over the last week or two, but improved over time. It's still not "fresh" like it used to be, but it looks like we can fix that.

I just need to find the evaporator fins to spray down and check for improvement.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Somethings up with my AC.....

Originally Posted by Meghann
Maybe im just having a blonde moment or something, but recently ive realized that when im stopped at a light or whenever my car is at idle for more than 20 seconds or so, i hear a ratteling noise from the AC. ill turn the AC off, and the noise will stop, but if i turn it back on, itll start up again, my friend told me its the AC compressor?! idk im not that familiar with cars and all, but i was just woudnering if this is normal or not, because it wasnt making this sound like 2 months ago....so am i just over reacting or should i bring it in? thanks!!!!
Did you fix the problem?
Old 10-23-2006, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no not yet, im guna have my guy friend take a look at it first just in case the dealership trys to pull the "girl" sterotype on me and trys to make me pay for something i ither dont need or should be covered under warantee. im bringing my car in on friday and sometime b4 then my friend is gunna look at my car, so ill let u all know whats the deal when i find out!