Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

sound dampening

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM

Default sound dampening

ok so, i'm pretty much a novice when it comes to things such as this but i have a few questions that after reading through older threads about the topic. sound dampening (deadening) generally reduces road noise right? so it gives the tc a more smooth feeling right i presume? i'm not really sure what sound dampening is aimed at but thats my guess. also, it sound dampening a tc expensive? and typically how long would such a process take? thanks in advanced guys!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:40 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Is it expensive? Yes if you want quality stuff

How long? Several hours (maybe even days) depending on how much of the car you plan to dampen.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 PM

what if i wanted to dampen majority of the areas which allow for the most sound to be released? how much is expensive (1000s?)?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good way to get this done, had a buddy who went o a junkyard and getting some cars for material and padded his, was cheap and worked, but not sure of the clean factor.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think the road noise if fixed would give the tc a smoother ride...i just think it would elimate the noise in general....to a certain extent
Old 01-26-2009, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Doing it thorough is the only way to go. I've seen some very poor dynomat at car shows.

I used raamaudio. $280 for two big rolls, and ensolite foam padding and sticky spray. It took me 3 days but that's because I am OCD about pretty much everything. Don't pay to have it done, it would cost a lot of money!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, nice job
Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Number2 how much did that sound deadner improve reducing the noise level in your ride? Good job btw!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 AM

wow i think this is gonna be some project...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

That is pretty much what I did with my car as well......first I put down 3 layers of liquid edead,then a layer of .080 edead......as for sound inside the car.....my exhaust sounds like it is the stock one.......my stereo inside is in the 125db level and out side barely audiable......total cost in the $250 range tops for all the materials to do it....worth every penny.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mos definitely watching this one....tc's just too damn noisy when the radio's off! lol! got a question for u guys....did you guys do the roof too?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Prrfff - it is a tedious, but fun project. Because you know as well as we all do that the TC is loud on the highway with aftermarket suspension and low profile tires. It def. helps a lot. I love showing people the 'rap' test on their car vs. my car. *tink tink tink* and... *thud thud thud*

It's a summer project for sure, or at least when the weather is nice. My friend did his xa about this time last year, he had to use a heat gun for everything. You still want to use a heat gun in the summer, but it just sticks a helluva lot better with the sun out.

No, I did up to the windows. No sense in doing the roof imo. It's all glass except for that middle strip. and you can't really do along the A and C pillars b/c of the side airbags. You'll be happy doing everything up to the window line. =)
Old 01-27-2009, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like it could be a very fun project. How difficult would you say it was as a DIY project? The $250 range sounds just right for that little bit of extra luxury of reducing the road noise.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

raammat ftw.. mine is partly done, cant wait to get my new garage
Old 01-27-2009, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Ace83
raammat ftw.
x2

Easy to install and doesn't cut your hands.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

everything in my car is now covered in edead except the hatch,oddly enough it might be the only one inexistance that does not rattle,I have a quart of liquid edead left to do it in then I will put a layer of .080 on it too.there really is not much need to do the roof of the car,once you pull the headliner you find it is not gonna do much as there is very little metal up there to bother dampening.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Originally Posted by Phobboi
Looks like it could be a very fun project. How difficult would you say it was as a DIY project? The $250 range sounds just right for that little bit of extra luxury of reducing the road noise.
It is a good 5 hours to do from the back seats to the trunk properly,that included removal of everything,standing around having a few cold ones,install and putting everything back in.

Hatch 2 hours,which included removal of parts,deadening and reassembly

Doors add another 3 hours easy including taking it all off and putting it all on.

Back seat side panels......add another 3 hours including taking it all out and putting it all in.

Floor boards.....that was the worst cause you have to have everything out,seats,console,kickpanels,carpet, and a few other odds and ends......took about 2 hours as most of it was out when we started the other stuff.

Now these times are for two people doing the work and if you use a liquid deadener like I did under it all add another 12 hours easy as it has to dry inbetween layers.

Honestly road noise is very low,no rattles at all,stereo has better midbass,exhaust in car is much quieter,not as hot in summer inside.....have not noticed a change in winter though.......

Be sure to use quality products to do the car.I used edead and although it is not the best on the market it has stayed in place for over a year with no peeling off.In hot areas in the US I would recomend something else with ahigher temp point as many cheap brands will peel off in heat and cold.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much weight do you think you have added to the car in the process? Just an estimate.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

WEll I weighed the rolls and they came in at 24lbs each.....put in 2.5 rolls......then gallen of edead wet was in can 17 lbs,used about half,not sure if it loses weight when it dries either....my best guess is about 70 lbs added.....quite a lot,but it is a very extensive intstall front to back.....most people would not need that much deadening,I did the interior panels too with it all,so it is pretty much everywhere.

But I have pulled at least 100lbs off the car in stock parts so it kinda evened out....butthen the stereo and subs went in......so I am sure I lost it again......lol
Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 AM

raammat sounds like the best out there from most of you guys. i think i'll give it a little research...heat gun? im in hawaii so heat isnt much of an issue here, its more or less time. it sounds like this could take forever esp if its my first time. how is the material placed in the suspected areas of "excessive sound" (the raammat)? glued or idk? this is completely new to me. thanks guys

Quick Reply: sound dampening