2005-2010 [ANT10]

Sound deadening on the tC

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sound deadening on the tC

I am looking into doing some form of sound deadening on my car and wanted to see if anyone out there had any input. Aside from minor creaks and pops the road noise when it is raining (just had a big storm here in CA) is a bit on the loud side. Plus with the complaints I've read about in regards to the tC's rear hatch I wanted to see if anyone has tried to tackle that problem.

I've been doing some research on different choices, such as brands (Dynamat, B-Quiet, Elemental Designs) and types (mat, foam, liquid) and wanted to hear some feedback from people who have done it. The car has been out for a little while now so hopefully someone out there did this early on and has a progress report on how it's working. I've read things about products giving off a smell, coming undone, and so on so I just wanted to hear what people had to say to help me make my choice.

Seems like from what I've read the liquid based is good for the doors (also using the mat based for the holes in the door), and the foam or mat based for the trunk. I'm sure a lot of this is applicable to all cars, but how about specifically the tC? Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd also be interested in any ideas people have about this topic. the TC is loud on freeways
Old 10-28-2004, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as road noise is concerned, try some rubberized undercoating in the wheel wells. It will make a difference, especially when the roads are wet.

In my Civic I did damn near the entire interior in Rammat (similar to dynamat). It did help with road noise a bit, but most of it comes from the leading edges of the car (i.e. windshield/roof area). Was it worth the effort? I guess so, I noticed the biggest difference in the doors, but it does add A LOT of weight.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i like dynamat. that has worked on my past 2 cars and could do the trick
Old 10-28-2004, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I did rubberized undercoating on my wheel wells. I am about to do another layer. The first layer alone made a slight difference.

I think the tC is relatively quiet, but I used to drive a convertible so maybe I am just used to loudness. That thing had no sound barrier.... I could have a conversation with someone outside the car with the windows rolled up and top closed!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the tC is actually quiet for a compact (you may find that the stock tires account for a good amount of road noise).

I'd like to make it even quieter, though - where can I get wheel well undercoating done? How much does it cost?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
As far as road noise is concerned, try some rubberized undercoating in the wheel wells. It will make a difference, especially when the roads are wet.
Originally Posted by HughDTX
I did rubberized undercoating on my wheel wells. I am about to do another layer. The first layer alone made a slight difference.
Thanks for the tip. Can this be picked up at any auto parts store? What is the name of the product and how much will a can(?) set me back?

How about anyone else? No one out there has done the sound deadening routine to their tC yet? Thanks for all input.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member

Default noise reduction ideas

Is this rubber undercoating in the wheel well easy to do, or would it be best to have one's mechanic perform the task ... don't want to mess up either tC.

I've also noticed a bit of noise from the sunroof when the cover is open as well. Anyone have any suggestions regarding that area and noise reduction (other than keeping the cover shut of course)
Old 10-29-2004, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member

What you can do is undercoat your car with Second Skin Spectrum V2. You can use a spray gun or just paint it on. I'm just getting ready to do this. I was told that because it's a water base product all you have to do is wash the under side of the vehicle let it dry a little and then paint it. You don't have to worry about trapping water under the sealant and rusting your car. Then to dampen it further do the insides as well. It will cut down on all types of noise and make you car quiter, and the stereo sound better.

I'll post the link here for you but I'm also going to go post a new topic for a deal about Second Skin. There are running a special on their products right now. Anthony is really helpful. Go read about their products on their site and the use the other link to get the better price.
http://www.secondskinaudio.com
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/specialpricing.html
Old 10-29-2004, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: noise reduction ideas

Originally Posted by punkrockgrl
I've also noticed a bit of noise from the sunroof when the cover is open as well. Anyone have any suggestions regarding that area and noise reduction (other than keeping the cover shut of course)
I'd love to hear any suggestions on the sunroof wind noise as well.

I don't notice it as much when I'm listening to music, but it just so happens that I llike to catch the occasional game, and talk radio on AM, and the wind noise is definitely noticeable on the freeway - even with the cover closed.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To be used on metal panels only.
it says that on the v2 website. isnt the wheel well shell made of plastic?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by putz
To be used on metal panels only.
it says that on the v2 website. isnt the wheel well shell made of plastic?
Yes sir. Rubberized undercoating comes in an aersol car and can be picked up at Walmart, so I'm going to assume that you can get it anywhere. Just mask off anything that you don't want to coat and spray away. It comes out a litte messy sometimes, as the nozzle starts to clog.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member

I'm having a new stereo system installed in my tc at Tweeter on 11/06/04. I'm having them dynamt everything (doors, floor, trunk, and if I have enough material the roof). Got a really good deal on dynamat extreme on ebay. Got two bulk packs of extreme for 80 bucks a pack + 20 bucks shipping. Thats better then a 2 for 1 deal!

I'll let you all know how everything sounds, or rather does not sound, fter I get everything done.

Oh, and some guy in here said sound deadening adds a lot of weight. Depends on what you feel is alot. 36 square feet of dynamat weighs somewhere ~25 lbs. UNless you were doubling or tripling up I can't imagine that doing the whole car would add more then 50-100lbs to the car.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ok, you guys are talking about two different products.

The product I referred to when I said I used rubberized undercoating in my wheel wells was just the rubber stuff that comes out of an aerosol can (like spray paint, but thick). It's a little difficult to clear the tire but it is possible to spray on yourself as I did, without lifting the car or removing the tires. Just BE CAREFUL and have a wet rag handy incase you hit something you shouldn't. I bought my can at Walmart... can't remember the brand but it was about $3-4. One can barely covered all 4 wheel wells so you might want to get two cans (but do two, thinner layers). 3M also makes the stuff and sells at Walmart for $7 or so.

The other product mentioned, Second Skin Spectrum, is to be used to undercoat the underside of the car itself and the wheel wells IF they are metal, which in our case the wells are not.

I say just start with the aerosol can and cover your wheel wells at least 2 or 3 times.

By the way, when you spray the stuff on it will look brown if you are in the sun light... don't worry. It will dry black and look nice.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tc_patentman
I'm having a new stereo system installed in my tc at Tweeter on 11/06/04. I'm having them dynamt everything (doors, floor, trunk, and if I have enough material the roof). Got a really good deal on dynamat extreme on ebay. Got two bulk packs of extreme for 80 bucks a pack + 20 bucks shipping. Thats better then a 2 for 1 deal!

I'll let you all know how everything sounds, or rather does not sound, fter I get everything done.

Oh, and some guy in here said sound deadening adds a lot of weight. Depends on what you feel is alot. 36 square feet of dynamat weighs somewhere ~25 lbs. UNless you were doubling or tripling up I can't imagine that doing the whole car would add more then 50-100lbs to the car.
how much are they charging you to install it?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by cmose
how much are they charging you to install it?
I know a guy at my local store, so I'm getting a deal there too. Somethign like 40-50 bucks for each section (where 1 section = both doors, the floor, the trunk, or the roof), so ~150 total (I have to pay for the time of having the car in their shop, not for the actual labor).
Old 10-29-2004, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll let you all know how everything sounds, or rather does not sound, after I get everything done.
Please keep us posted. I'm very curious to hear how things go for you.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone here ever drive an American compact car? They sound worse than ____!...The Tc is quiet enough. Prob. gonna put some loud ___ rice exaust on it anyways, so why try and make it quiet?
Old 10-29-2004, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member

I'm not ricing anything. I'm leaving the engine stock. I just hate rattles and road noise
Old 01-11-2005, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tc_patentman, any updates to your project? Has anyone else added any sound deadening material to their tC yet?

Quick Reply: Sound deadening on the tC