Squeeking sound from brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Squeeking sound from brakes

About a week ago I started having this problem:

When I first start my car in the morning and let it coast down the driveway I hear a pretty loud squeaking sound like the brakes are slightly engaged. It will go away after about 2-3 minutes of driving... I made sure my e-brake was not engaged at all, and it wasn't.. Checked my brake fluid, no problems there.

It sounds like the noise is coming from the rear brakes, but I can't really tell.

Also, my e-brake is really lose in the car.. It's always been like that since I got it. It seems really lose compared to any other cars I've been in. Could this be a problem with the e-brake possibily?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get this sometimes too.
For me this happens when there is rust on the rotors from the last time I drove the car.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Squeeking sound from brakes

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
Could this be a problem with the e-brake possibily?
Could be, but why worry when you can take it to a dealer and have them check it out?
Old 06-01-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it hapens to mine after a rain or i wash the car a tiny bit of surface rust builds up then it goes away when you drive
Old 06-01-2006, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I started having this problem 100 miles after my 5000 mi oil change/look over... mine sqeak when coming to a stop .. like I said I had just had my brake pads checked and was told they are just like new nothing wrong with them...so I took it to the dealer and had them look at it.. their response to me was "your squeaker was lose"lol kinda sounds like a bunch of bs if you ask me ...but, then the very next day it was sure enough doing it again and still does... I need to take it to the dealer again to have them check this out a little more closely.. but I too have heard this from another 06' tC owner
Old 06-01-2006, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by amy117603
their response to me was "your squeaker was lose"
Old 06-01-2006, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine have a dragging sound sometimes in the mornings which is from that little bit of surface rust, but nothing major.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Have you checked to make sure the muffler belt is tight and the muffler bearings are ok?

That is wierd, I have never heard any squeaking in my car, but I will have to pay attention the next time I drive it. I never heard any rattles until it was mentioned either
Old 06-01-2006, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nodsetse
Could be, but why worry when you can take it to a dealer and have them check it out?
I think I'll take it there next sometime.. The dealer is always so busy, normally when I go there they keep my car all day.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
I think I'll take it there next sometime.. The dealer is always so busy, normally when I go there they keep my car all day.
I hear ya, but since it's a warranty thing, they should give you a car to use while yours is being serviced, just as my dealer does.

What if there actually is an issue, but you wait to take it in? They might try to charge you, stating it's because you knew there was an issue but waited too long, resulting in a much more expensive repair then what would have been required if you'd taken it to them in a reasonable timeframe. Just a possibility to consider.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard squeeking sounds too coming from the front brakes when i lightly brake but then goes away. I took it to the dealership i work at and i got to know one of the techs there and he went for a test drive with me and couldn't hear the brakes squeek but he told me to just leave it at the dealership with him for several hours and he'll take care of it since toyota pays warranty jobs pretty well to the techs. Later after work when i picked up my car, the paperwork said that he cleaned the brake pads, and resurfaced the rotors and now the sound is gone. When I brought it in for an oil change a week before, i told them to check out the brake noise and they said everything was fine and that the pads were still new and nothing was wrong. But I think the tech this time took several hours to resurface the rotors and cleaned the brake pads so he could get paid a lot by toyota. I don't really care since they pretty much fixed the noise and resurfaced the rotors. Also I didnt have to pay anything! Thanks to Warranty!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What if there actually is an issue, but you wait to take it in? They might try to charge you, stating it's because you knew there was an issue but waited too long, resulting in a much more expensive repair then what would have been required if you'd taken it to them in a reasonable timeframe. Just a possibility to consider.
My bet would be that if I took it in they would see the pads are a little low and they would try to charge me for new pads (which are insanely overpriced from the dealer). If that happens I'll just say "thanks for checking it out" and leave.

I wish they would give me a loaner car, I got in an argument with them before over it. They told me only if they're planning on keeping the car more then 24 hours they could give me a rental car. Anything less then 24 hours and they have someone drive you home and pick you up when the car is ready.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after hitting 30k miles on your tC, you might wanna replace your brakes. after all, these are SOFT breaks so they will wear out quicker then others.

squeeks indicate wear as well as, streak lines across the the disc ( if heavy streaks), and that black part on the calipers....

alot of folks here dont know what they are talkin about.......
Old 06-02-2006, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
squeeks indicate wear as well as, streak lines across the the disc ( if heavy streaks), and that black part on the calipers
When I drive down to the end of my street and hit the brakes once the squeeks are gone until the next morning.

Also, there are barely any lines on the rotor. Definately not deep ones.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigLew
i heard squeeking sounds too coming from the front brakes when i lightly brake but then goes away. I took it to the dealership i work at and i got to know one of the techs there and he went for a test drive with me and couldn't hear the brakes squeek but he told me to just leave it at the dealership with him for several hours and he'll take care of it since toyota pays warranty jobs pretty well to the techs. Later after work when i picked up my car, the paperwork said that he cleaned the brake pads, and resurfaced the rotors and now the sound is gone. When I brought it in for an oil change a week before, i told them to check out the brake noise and they said everything was fine and that the pads were still new and nothing was wrong. But I think the tech this time took several hours to resurface the rotors and cleaned the brake pads so he could get paid a lot by toyota. I don't really care since they pretty much fixed the noise and resurfaced the rotors. Also I didnt have to pay anything! Thanks to Warranty!

maybe that's what is wrong with mine I'll defin. have to tell them that... it sounds like we had the same problem
Old 06-25-2006, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine is doing this too.....
i gotta take it to the dealer
Old 06-26-2006, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

mine's going in Thursday even the guy on the phone when I set up the appt was like OMG there's no way it should be your pads.. what a suprise that was lol I'll let you know what comes out of it
Old 06-26-2006, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine are starting to squeek even during normal driving.. I think I just need new brake pads.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine do the squeaking thing in the AM... but I think it's from sitting all night and the dampness putting a bit of rust on the rotors.

Sometimes in the morning if I remember to listen, when I hit the breaks I get a bit of a clapping sound when the calipers engage the rotor... a bit odd.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure I need new brakes now.. I was looking around on ebay and came across these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCION...spagenameZWDVW

does anyone know if these are any good for the price?

They're only $240 shipped for 2 front rotors, 2 rear rotors, and 4 pads.

Quick Reply: Squeeking sound from brakes