2005-2010 [ANT10]

squiking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default squiking noise

hey i got a 2008 scion tc 2008 and when i hit the brakes lightly the back tires squik? any idea how to fix it and get rid of the noise i took in it twice and all they did was oiled something and glazed it. this is second time i took it in all they do is glaze it i need help
Old 07-19-2008, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: squiking noise

Originally Posted by thispecialk
hey i got a 2008 scion tc 2008 and when i hit the brakes lightly the back tires squik? any idea how to fix it and get rid of the noise i took in it twice and all they did was oiled something and glazed it. this is second time i took it in all they do is glaze it i need help
I think you mean they DE-GLAZED the brakes. The noise is most likely coming from the shims that attach to the back of the brake pads. Usually happens with light application of the brake pedal. There is an anti-noise paste that they can smooth on the backside of the pad shims to stop this noise. A lot of us have had it and can be stopped with anti-noise paste/compound. Simple fix. No need to de-glaze the pads and discs/rotors.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i buy this paste thing and just rub it on? does checkers carry it
Old 07-20-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what I remember toyota themselves have it. it's anti-noise paste. Any auto parts store should have this.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since covered by warrenty do u think scion will do everything for me if i tell them wat i want done.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its SQUEAK.

And if you tell them what you want done and they can verify that its a legit warranty claim they will do it
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

since covered by warrenty do u think scion will do everything for me if i tell them wat i want done.
what's covered by warranty?

nothing that you're talking about... brakes are wear and tear.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
from what I remember toyota themselves have it. it's anti-noise paste. Any auto parts store should have this.
do u know wat the paste is called
Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: squiking noise

[quote="sciontc_mich"]
I think you mean they DE-GLAZED the brakes. The noise is most likely coming from the shims that attach to the back of the brake pads. Usually happens with light application of the brake pedal. There is an anti-noise paste that they can smooth on the backside of the pad shims to stop this noise. A lot of us have had it and can be stopped with anti-noise paste/compound. Simple fix. No need to de-glaze the pads and discs/rotors.[/I] so wats the paste called
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's just anti-noise paste, but toyota calls it Brake Lube. yeah that's the name of it. Should be able to ask the parts dept for a part number.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since its 3rd time coming back they want me to leave my car they said they gotta inspect it good. I bought that anti noise grease for the shims can u give me instruction so I can do it myself toyota ain't no help
Old 07-24-2008, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn't waste your time with that dealer anymore. they sound incompetent! They don't even know about their own product? Brake lube is sold by TOYOTA! and used from lubing up the sliding pins on the caliper to silencing squeaking noise coming from the shims on the back of the brake pads. Wow.. they want MORE TIME to find the "problem" Sounds like they're the problem! stay away from them and use another dealer before they really screw up your car!!

But it's tough to explain in text if you've never done it before. And you definitely need a torque wrench to retighten everything. Some will say "tight enough" but why guess, be sure.

okay it was in our own tech section here at scionlife. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86011

i did a quick search and turned up a camry, pretty much the same design as what we have. if you look at the pads in the pictures, you'll see a metal shim. you use the anti-noise lube on both side of that, a thin layer will do it. then put the shim back on. here's the link
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=220384

and if you EVER need to de-glaze your pads and rotors, do NOT use aluminum oxide sandpaper. It will bond with the iron in the rotor/disc and ruin it. ALWAYS USE GARNET BASED SANDPAPER when de-glazing a rotor or pads. there ya go, hope that helps.