2005-2010 [ANT10]

Stalling after filling up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stalling after filling up?

I've had this problem for a while now.. It happenes whenever I full tank my car. The car starts bogging really badly and stalls out if I don't press the gas.. It was really bad earlier, I had to keep revving my car and people were looking at me thinking I was showing off.. Anyone know what the problem could be? I've tried some fuel injector cleaner but it didn't seem to help much.. Also my idle is pretty rough from time to time.. It's pretty random,,
Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kinda of gas u puting in
Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

fuel filter clogged?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

weird, do you always overfill it?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

or almost run on empty?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is your check engine light on? Is your throttle body (TB) dirty? Any aftermarket accessories improperly installed? Get your vehicle scanned for DTC (diagnostic trouble codes)
Old 04-22-2008, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It could be the quality of gas. Do you go to the same gas station everytime? If there is water in their system then it could be getting in your tank. Water will settle at the bottom of fuel so I would try a different gas station.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 06siHubby
If there is water in their system then it could be getting in your tank. Water will settle at the bottom of fuel so I would try a different gas station.
I just heard on the news about that. Apparently there are dishonest gas stations out there who add water in the gas they're serving (to cheat customers out). Where do you get your gas? They say stay away from no-name gas stations.....

Anyway, there's either water in your gas tank or there's something wrong w/ your fuel pump/filter (clogged?). Hope you find out what's wrong soon!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can also get water in your tank from condensation. However, you should take it to the dealer to get it checked out before you try to fix a problem that you don't know exists yet.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Before when I was constantly broke I'd always drive my tC with less than half a tank.. I've tried using different gas of different octane levels from different gas stations but they all make my car do the same thing No CELs either, and I'm pretty sure all my bolt-ons were installed properly.. I just find it weird how it only does this when I full tank my car.. If I fill it up halfway it just idles roughly for a bit then everything is fine again
Old 04-22-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jurassic1
Originally Posted by 06siHubby
If there is water in their system then it could be getting in your tank. Water will settle at the bottom of fuel so I would try a different gas station.
I just heard on the news about that. Apparently there are dishonest gas stations out there who add water in the gas they're serving (to cheat customers out). Where do you get your gas? They say stay away from no-name gas stations.....

Anyway, there's either water in your gas tank or there's something wrong w/ your fuel pump/filter (clogged?). Hope you find out what's wrong soon!
I try to always go to mobil 1 stations. Pumps work nice and fast and their 93 octane is the best around upstate NY it seems.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:40 AM
SL Member

Uhrmz...there was a post about this on here a while back. About getting the last couple clicks of gas at the pump or something. Neways, it probably is ur carbon canister. Ur purge valve mechanism is stuck open. I think. You probably need to get a tune up on your car. Or change the carbon canister. (Evap canister)
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Griever
Before when I was constantly broke I'd always drive my tC with less than half a tank.. I've tried using different gas of different octane levels from different gas stations but they all make my car do the same thing No CELs either, and I'm pretty sure all my bolt-ons were installed properly.. I just find it weird how it only does this when I full tank my car.. If I fill it up halfway it just idles roughly for a bit then everything is fine again
exactly! k00mk1ng is correct! It's probably your emissions device called a charcoal canister (carbon is inside).

What is happening is you fill up, liquid gasoline goes in, the vapors that were in the tank get replaced with liqud (gas) and the vapors get trapped inside the tank, since the charcoal (Evap canister) isn't absorbing the vapor fumes. Then your car bogs down because the fuel injection isn't getting the fuel from the tank until the pressure equalizes. Then the car runs fine, this is why

Get the emission system tested. evap canister for one.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How would I go about doing that? Can I do it myself?
Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes you should be able to test it yourself, someone around here can give you the link to the service manual, it would detail how to test it out. replacing it would also be easy as it's just unhook, unbolt, replace.

hopefully someone can give you a link to the tC's service manual.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's happened to me before on other models. Dry Gas fixed the problem.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dry gas?. not to start an argument but it's just ethanol, and not that much of it. what? 20oz at most? When gas already contains about 10% ethanol. 10% per gallon. That's a lot of dry gas. when you think of how many gallons you fill up with.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So.. can anyone link me to how to fix the problem? :o I want my tC purring like a kitten.. Not acting like it's hocking up a hairball
Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, I'm at 30,000, just changed the oil, rotated the tires, added a bottle of Techron, changed the Air filter (and it was dirty) and guess what . . .

My MPG jumped from 28 to 34MPG WOW and the car IS purrin like a kitten and not a rattle anywhere cause . . . I had dem fix de squeak in the rear hatch.

ps: My dad recommened the Techron some years back on another make when my car was sputtering and stalling for no apparent reason. I took his advise cause I didn't have a lot of cash and it worked like a charm.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Smuckers
yea, I'm at 30,000, just changed the oil, rotated the tires, added a bottle of Techron, changed the Air filter (and it was dirty) and guess what . . .

My MPG jumped from 28 to 34MPG WOW and the car IS purrin like a kitten and not a rattle anywhere cause . . . I had dem fix de squeak in the rear hatch.

ps: My dad recommened the Techron some years back on another make when my car was sputtering and stalling for no apparent reason. I took his advise cause I didn't have a lot of cash and it worked like a charm.
oh you meant the techron cleaner? sorry about that smuckers, I thought you meant dry gas the pure alcohol stuff for freezing up the gas lines.

definitely I agree with you that the fuel system cleaner works! I've used BG Products 44K, works great! :D

Quick Reply: Stalling after filling up?