Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Starting problem

This morning, just as I was ready to leave for work, my TC (2005 automatic) started but then quit after about 5 seconds. Turned it off, tried again. The engine would turn but not start. Tried several times. Same problem. Waited 10 minutes...same problem...I tried another key but still would not start. About 30 minutes later, I tried it again and it started like normal. Drove it to work, then brought it to the dealer. They did a diagnostic on it and could find absolutely nothing wrong with the electrcial or fuel system. Plugs ok... (only has about 20,000 miles ) No codes...nothing. They said the only way they can figure this one out is if it happens again and it stays dead. I hate these intermitent problems!!
Anyone else have a similar problem??
Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

perhaps the battery needs a chargin'?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Battery ok....
Old 03-13-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i had the same issue with my 2005 5spd xb. the only diffrence was that it would stall out at a red light and woudnt start and eventually start after 2 times. took it tothe dealer and they could not find anything wrong.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well something is wrong....could be a problem developing with all 2005 Scions. The dealer said the only way to figure this one out is when the car dies and stays dead
Old 03-13-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

What mods do you have, if any?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

No mods --just a spoiler- the only thing "extra" I have plugged into the electrical system is a radar detector via the cigarette lighter..the detector is working fine..
I just started the car again and the car started perfectly!!! I guess the next time it mysteriously dies, it will probably come at a horrible time and secluded place.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i'm definitely thinking that it was just bad gas
Old 03-13-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
i'm definitely thinking that it was just bad gas
I get bad gas from time to time, but it usually doesn't affect the way my car drives, just the way it smells.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

My dad got bad gas once in his benz and he was driving on the highway, he came to a toll and the car stalled on him when he had to come to a stop. He was finally able to get it started and it sputtered for a while. He got it to mercedes and they looked at the gas and did an analysis of it. Turned out they watered down there gas and supplied lower octane than he paid for (paid for 93 octane, probably got 87ish). Long story short, they emptied out the fuel system, filled it up properly, and no more problem!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ sounds about right.. my car tried to not start for me one day.. I put in QT, afterwards I put in BP and never had the problem again. But maybe it was just a fluke.. i dont' know...
Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 PM
ATL

Originally Posted by jbae1221
^^^ sounds about right.. my car tried to not start for me one day.. I put in QT, afterwards I put in BP and never had the problem again. But maybe it was just a fluke.. i dont' know...
Shell and QT brand gas is horrible. I can tell there is a loss in HP and worse MPG when I used to fill up both my 97 Civic EX and my 2007 TC. I exclusively use BP Midgrade now.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Shell is part of the 'top-tier' gas companies. They have the best quality gas you can buy (if there really is in fact a difference). They go through to most stringent testings by voluntarily being a part of the top-tier 'organization' and allowing them to test their gas. I believe thats the way it works, but one way or another, shell is top-tier.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old 09-28-2007, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member

everyone is getting really technical with this. here is my answer to this problem. and so far no starting problem. (cold starts after left the car over night or 12+ hours off)
knock on wood.

i began having this issue about 2 months ago, and i had just finished doing a full tune up. i had been using regular. which over here in el paso,tx is 86 octane. then my dad put super/premium which is 91 octane. all we have is 86/88/91. i went from getting about 360 miles a gallon to about 390. then the next time 415. then about 410. so i stuck with the 91 octane due to the increase in gas milage. i also thought that i got an increase in millage since my drive to work now is all highway and i put it on cruise control at about 55-60 mph.

anyway, my car had been having a hard time starting so i thought it was the spark plugs. so i bought bosh fusion platinum iridium plugs. and nope it still happened. i even changed back to the stock denso plugs.

i put several gas treatments and nope. still was happening.

i even took it to the dealer, and since i have a cold air intake, the guy said it would be $80 to diagnose the problem. he told me that the intake was causing the issue and to take it off. but they would still charge me 80 to diagnose. i said no way, and went online(here to scionlife.com).

everyone had different fixes but some still got the starting problem.

so i decided to put a few of these together.

i took off the MAF sensor ( the one on the intake) and i cleaned it with carburator cleaner.

i cleaned the throttle body, also with carburator cleaner.
since i had heard that the oil in kn filter could dirty the sensor and i thought it was causing my throttle body valve opening thing to stick.

i also cleaned the inside of the intake tube. with just water.

i also am using 88 octane, since we dont have 87 octane.

i also put in some fuel system cleaner. i forgot what brand but its in a gold bottle. about 7 dollars.

the first time i started it, it sputtered a little, but this was because of all the dirty stuff that i cleaned out in the throttle body.

now whenever i turn on my car in the morning, it turns on just fine. no more cranking and cranking and car feeling like it was choking.

i hope this helps some of you. so far its been about 2 weeks, and i havent had any issues.

worth a shot, in my opinion.

i copied this into a few of these starting problem posts.
2006 tc auto w/cai