Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]
View Poll Results: Which air filter should I replace my stock one with?
TRD
54.55%
K&N
45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Stock Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stock Air Filter

OK this is sort of a random question but does everyone else's stock air filter look like this?

It looks like someone poured marshmellow fluff into my air intake. How does the engine breath through that crazy thing?

Now that my tC is 1000miles old I want to put in a K&N or TRD filter in since I have heard such good things about them. Hope fully I can get a little better city gas mileage with it.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mine used to look like that, but I just put in the new TRD air filter. I couldn't believe my car was trying to get air through that thing. Geez... It looks huge! I could've just stuffed my air box with gauze and done the same thing.

Anyway, the part number for the TRD Air Filter is 00602-17801-010. It costs $60.66, and never needs to be replaced...just cleaned every 15,000 mi. or so. It's a bit expensive, but my baby's worth it.

http://www.trdsportparts.com

- Desi

Oh...and my tC just passed 1000 miles today! Yay!!!
Old 10-11-2004, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member

Just took out my original air filter from my tC a few days ago and put in a drop in K&N filter...

My original filter looks kind of like yours.. a little cleaner, I only got around 400 miles on mine.

Can't say I can feel any different in performance... I am still breaking in my car... I bought the K&N so that I can wash and reuse it. Original filter cost quite a bit, I guess...

How's the TRD drop in filter? I almost bought the TRD.. But I have been using K&N for most of my car before... and decided to go with K&N again...
Old 10-11-2004, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I added a poll to see which filter all of you prefer. Whichever one wins will go in my tC next weekend!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sunnylee
Just took out my original air filter from my tC a few days ago and put in a drop in K&N filter...

My original filter looks kind of like yours.. a little cleaner, I only got around 400 miles on mine.

Can't say I can feel any different in performance... I am still breaking in my car... I bought the K&N so that I can wash and reuse it. Original filter cost quite a bit, I guess...

How's the TRD drop in filter? I almost bought the TRD.. But I have been using K&N for most of my car before... and decided to go with K&N again...
the K&N and TRD filters are about the same exact thing.....they are both re-usable and are great for performance...either way you choose your good to go!