Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Stock fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:11 AM

Default Stock fog lights

So I'm pretty new to the modifying cars and such but ill be getting a new '10 scion soon and there are some things I'm curious about, mainly the placement of the stock fog lights.

If I wanted the fog lights to be in the location like in these photos:

How would I go about doing this? Would I have to purchase fog lights and tell the dealership to put them there or go somewhere else and have them done?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

may as well learn and do it yourself, theres instructions (if not included you can most likely find a how to on this site...)- you really won't have any problems

if you have the dealer do it theyll charge a grip, if you have another place...well..you're still wasting money on a simple install...
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those that are on the side like that shown in that bottom pic are called APT or VRD foglights. the ones shown in the top pic are just some universal ones that you can get on ebay or something. the VRD's are the legit ones, whereas i think the APT's are more of an ebay brand sorta thing. i dont think the dealer sells those, correct me if im wrong. the stock OEM foglights are the ones that go where the bottom grille is. the vrd(the ones i have) look way better than the OEM ones IMO.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/apt.auto...=1&_from=&_ipg=
Old 10-07-2010, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by jeremydoc
those that are on the side like that shown in that bottom pic are called APT or VRD foglights. the ones shown in the top pic are just some universal ones that you can get on ebay or something. the VRD's are the legit ones, whereas i think the APT's are more of an ebay brand sorta thing. i dont think the dealer sells those, correct me if im wrong. the stock OEM foglights are the ones that go where the bottom grille is. the vrd(the ones i have) look way better than the OEM ones IMO.
What does VRD stand for? I can't seem to find any info on it, and could you tell me exactly where you got your fogs from since I see you have a 2010? I googled VRD fog lights and it only came up with 04-09 fogs and I don't know if its a legit site with legit parts. Also is there any info on HIDS on fogs, people say its blinding and you shouldnt do it, any info? It looks like the bulbs that come with the apts are halogen and I'm wondering how I could get the fogs to produce a white light as opposed to a standard halogen yellowish light.Do I need HIDs for that?

How would I go about getting fogs that produce this color light?

Edit: The more i look the more i only see apt on threads on these forums, are apt and vrd the same?

Last edited by acewayne; 10-07-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes theyre the same and i just posted the link to buy them in the thread
Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VRD Stands for Vertex Racing Development. It's a company. APT and VRD are the same thing, VRD just sold the lights for double the price and included a manual. Getwhat sciontcnda posted. They're legit lights, I've had them for like 2 or 3 years now and I'd buy another set in a heartbeat if mine broke. But since they're made with proper glass, they haven't broke yet.

That car's got HIDs in his fogs. It is blinding. I wouldn't do it. Maybe search around for a really white bulb. maybe someone on here knows a good brand. I the Blue HID and really yellow fog light set up so idk what would be really white.

Heres what mine looks like if you're curious. Or looked like I should say.
Name:  01-16-09_1822.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  52.7 KB
Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Does anyone know where i could get some non HID bulbs that produce a white light like i posted in the above picture? If not where could i get some yellow bulbs?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yellow or about as yellow as you can get, i have these in my fogs (as well as a lot of other forum goers) and love em.

Sylvania Silverstars are pretty white, best Halogen bulbs i've used.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for the record VRD is gone, don't think the company exists anymore. The website was taken down not too long ago. Rebranding products doesn't work out so well when people find the unmarked-up ones. Basically the name just remains for describing the style of fogs or grilles. APT fogs are the same as VRD sold. Any of those "JDM" style grilles, as long as they look the same style, are also the same.