Stock tires wearing fast?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Stock tires wearing fast?

Well I have an 06 tC, stock 17 inch tires which came on it. Its an rs2, I beleive the tires are same on others but not sure. Anyways..my tires may be wearing from 2 things, altho I didn't think it would take this much of a hit. I didnt roate my tires untill 9400 miles, and for a breif time my take offs could have been slower. Walmart reccomended me changing one of my tires allready, and I;m not that happy...so my questions is about how long average should these tires last? I am well aware it "varys" but estimate please. and also anyone else notice them wearing farily fast. Maybe it was jsut because I waited too long to rotate and it looks bad compared to my backs. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

How did they wear? Middle? Edges? One side more than another? How many miles do you have on them?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:32 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

mine got rotated every time i got my oil change. i think the stock tires just wear out quick in general cause they only have a threadwear of 160.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have like 25k miles on my stock 06 tires. hate them in the rain, very unsafe, but theres still a good amout of tread left. im not down to the wear bar yet. but i rotate every oil change
Old 02-28-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
How did they wear? Middle? Edges? One side more than another? How many miles do you have on them?
Both front ones have wear in the middle. The left tire more than the right.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have only rotated my stock tires twice, and have 58,000 miles on them. I still have decent to ok tread left. For instance I was not scared in the last snow storm we had a few weeks ago (about 4 inches).
Old 03-01-2007, 01:52 AM

I'd have to say.. These stock tires suck. I've had the tC for 4 months now and the tires spin everytime in the rain or wet surfaces.. especially in low gear.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:14 AM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you have too much torque
Old 03-01-2007, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

First Rule: Don't go to Wal-Mart.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by nauticac
First Rule: Don't go to Wal-Mart.
werd. stock tires suck, but they shouldn't wear that quickly, they just don't grip very well.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea definitely no walmart... learn a little yourself and find a decently priced shop around you that knows what they're doing...

but rubber wears and 10,000 on stock front tires on a FWD car will usually be noticable compared to the back ones... nothing to worry about IMO...
Old 03-01-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about your tire pressures? Improper inflation can cause accelerated wear

Also, what kind of roads do you travel on? I notice you're from Pennsylvania. Everytime I go there I'm astounded by just how terrible the roads are you guys have to travel on, and how poor of a job your roads people do.

Maybe that has to do something with it? (and it's not just my observation, apparently PA has the worst roads in the nation by way of a major survey... sorry I don't have the link, it was somewhere on autoblog though).
Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

<-- Works in a tire shop.

The leading cause of bad tire wear is improper inflation. If you tires are worn in the middle, they have been over-inflated. If they are worn on both edges, they have been under-inflated. If they are won on only the outside or only the inside eges, you have an alignment issue. Think about this:

1. Front wheel drive. Front tires always wear faster, and on front-wheel drive cars, that effect is maximized.
2. All-season tires. You'll basically always chirp the tires unless you're very gentle with the throttle.
3. Not rotating is not good. I noticed a small difference in my tread at 5,000 miles. Double that should be easily noticeable.
3. 160 tread wear is good for maybe 25,000 miles.

Combine all those factors, along with the fact your tires have been over-inflated, and you have your reason for why your tires are wearing quickly. Rotate your tires at your next oil change, and take care of them from now on. Tires aren't cheap.

I reccomend these for tCs:
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 215/45R17
Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
what about your tire pressures? Improper inflation can cause accelerated wear

Also, what kind of roads do you travel on? I notice you're from Pennsylvania. Everytime I go there I'm astounded by just how terrible the roads are you guys have to travel on, and how poor of a job your roads people do.

Maybe that has to do something with it? (and it's not just my observation, apparently PA has the worst roads in the nation by way of a major survey... sorry I don't have the link, it was somewhere on autoblog though).
My roads are horrible. I live on a country road with bumps, pot holes, amish, all the disadvantages that come in life lol...

I don't understand what is wrong with wal-mart? I jsut took it there for a rotation since the dealer wanted 17 and wal-mart wanted 6. I did'nt think it was something complicated, only reason I don;t do it myself is I don't have stands to put the car on.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Walmart really does suck. I wouldn't take my car there. You don't need stands to rotate your tires though. You need one jack, one tire iron, and one torque wrench. Torque the lugs to 76 ft-lbs. Jack up the right side of your car, swap the wheels, let the car down. Jack up the left side, swap the wheel, let the car down. 10 minutes.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06tC

The leading cause of bad tire wear is improper inflation. If you tires are worn in the middle, they have been over-inflated. If they are worn on both edges, they have been under-inflated. If they are won on only the outside or only the inside eges, you have an alignment issue. Think about this:

1. Front wheel drive. Front tires always wear faster, and on front-wheel drive cars, that effect is maximized.
2. All-season tires. You'll basically always chirp the tires unless you're very gentle with the throttle.
3. Not rotating is not good. I noticed a small difference in my tread at 5,000 miles. Double that should be easily noticeable.

Combine all those factors, along with the fact your tires have been over-inflated, and you have your reason for why your tires are wearing quickly. Rotate your tires at your next oil change, and take care of them from now on. Tires aren't cheap.

^ very informative, thanks. Will keep all this in mind.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:08 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06tC

This guy knows what he's talking about. Sounds like you over-inflated your tires.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 AM

mines is wearing down pretty fast too. I have had my 07 since october of 06. And it seems that I should have more thread left........................ I only have 13k miles
Old 03-01-2007, 04:44 AM
SL Member

what about an alignment? most cars dont come out of the factory aligned... i work at goodyear and my manager just bought a 2007 mazda3 and it was pretty off when he put it on the alignment rack today
Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I generally thought a vehicle out of allignment would wear unevenly though...if I wanted to upgrade to 18s can i get a tire of equal quality if I was to stay with my 17's?

Quick Reply: Stock tires wearing fast?