2005-2010 [ANT10]

Stock tires wearing fast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:58 AM

THATS A GOOD QUESTION, I WANT BIGGER RIMS SO BAD
Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's an alignment issue it will wear along one side of the tires, never in the middle. Think about it as the tire's contact patch sitting parallel to the road surface. That's normal. Now if you put it out of alignment, the wheel will be tilted slightly. The tire will still have the parallel contact patch, but one side of the tire will have a lot more force pushing it downwards due to the mis-alignment. That's why an alignment issue couldn't possibly happen in the middle. And when it's an alignment issue, trust me, you'll KNOW. It's painfully obvious when you look across the tread that one side is way lower than the other.

As far as tire availability, absolutely. You'll have no problem whatsoever getting that size tire for an 18 inch rim.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wearing down of the middle of the tire is caused by OVER INFLATING THE TIRE.

You have been running too high of air pressure in the tire, causing it to bulge in the middle. This is what happens when a tire is overinflated. Get yourself a good tire gauge, mine is an Accutire I picked up at Target. Nice and reliable, not expensive either.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

reminds me I need to rotate my tires..... I can tell a difference between the frotn and rear tire tread depth....
Old 03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member

Dude it has nothing to do with air pressure or alignment. Its the tread wear rating of the tires that come with the tC. You prolly have the Bridgestone Potenzas, they wear quicker then the Yokohamas that could also be on the car. I bet you have the Bridgestones. Keep them rotated and you will be fine. Do not expect to get more then 30k on the Bridgestones, you will get more miles out of the Yokohomas. Doo't go to Wal-Mart for auto-care!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

That's funny, I had the Potenzas and had 50k miles on them when I replaced them. In fact, I ended up changing my wheels and kept the old tires on the stock rims in case I ever need them for anything. There is still plenty of tread left on them.

And yes inflation and rotation have everything to do with how fast your tires wear out.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Also, I forgot to mention that if you are looking to get new tires your best bet is to go to Sears. Not only can you get the Road Hazard warranty that works at any location nationwide, but they also will rotate and do alignments for free for the life of the tire.

Before anyone says that they are too expensive and the selection sucks...do as I did.

I found the tires that I wanted cheaper online at tirerack.com. I then copied the advertised price and took it into Sears. They will match the price and beat it by 10%. So 4 tires that originally would have cost ( without the ad ) $840+, ended up costing $550ish.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member

I understand that tire pressure and aligment do have an effect on your tires wear, however on the tC the common problem is the low tread wear rating.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the yokohamas with about 16k on them. i dont burn out with them but i drive twisty roads and take alot of hard corners. these tires will most certainly last at least another 10k.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dCvingtC
That's funny, I had the Potenzas and had 50k miles on them when I replaced them. In fact, I ended up changing my wheels and kept the old tires on the stock rims in case I ever need them for anything. There is still plenty of tread left on them.

And yes inflation and rotation have everything to do with how fast your tires wear out.
I got 43k out of mine and they still got a little tread left. They just dont do so good in the snow with so little tread left. If it was summer I could probably get another 5k out of them.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Is there any milage warranty on these?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not really, usually have to document low profile rotations per warranty instructions. Toyo for instance will warranty the tire, ONLY if it's rotated BEFORE 3500 miles. Otherwise the warranty in voided.

Low profile need to be rotated more frequently than other "regular" sized tires.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Yokohamas. I put about 12k-14k miles on them. No problems with dry roads. But!! Every snow storm we have gotten since November; the traction is worst. Almost to the point next week; I might go buy some cheap 15 steel wheel tires and slap them on the tC even if it's March. Cause this morning; I was on two lane country road and I was behind two cars. The first car wanted to turn at this bank at the last second so the second car slammed his/her brakes. I slammed on mine and felt my car slide to the right so I quickly set the emergency brake. My tC was heading towards a ditch and all of sudden the tC went into 360 degree donut. My tC straighten out looking at the road and never got damaged.
I felt like Nascar driver for a second and thank God for having my guardian angel at my side...
Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the YOKO's SUKS... i am in FL and i mean when its hot and dry they spin a lil so they dont stick and when it rains i usually dont drive because the car slid at about 35 mph because i barely punched the gas... I have abouto 19K on them and i am pretty sure i can get at least another 5K on it.. I wanted to get new wheels and tires but i think im just goin to get better tires for the 17s and then later on illg et me some new 18s with good tires..
Old 03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup, in a choice between new wheels + "cheap" tires, or just great tires on your stock wheels, go for the latter. May end up saving your life one day on the highway, you never know.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If new tires are what you're going to do.. I've gotta add this.

go get some Toyo Proxes4! you'll thank me!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 PM
SL Member

Falken Ziexes are pretty good, and cheap too. Great bang for the buck with decent grip all-season. Well, that's what I've heard. I run the Azenis and they're great on dry roads. Not so good on wet.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking about BF Goodrich G force KDW... for the 17s
Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

I'm at 28k mi, I've rotated every other or every third oil change. My fronts are shot and my rears aren't far behind.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I found some 17s for 400 shiped with 60k mile warranty, will probally get them as replacements.

Quick Reply: Stock tires wearing fast?