2005-2010 [ANT10]

Sunroof Cover !?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sunroof Cover !?!?!?!?!?

So latley i've noticed that my sunroof cover likes to open by itself. I don't know i guess it's not catching on right? Is anyone else having this problem?
Old 04-15-2005, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, but I DO have a problem with my head hitting the cover and then the cover bunches up and looks terrible.

I'm not complaning...just sayin'
Old 04-15-2005, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cuad
No, but I DO have a problem with my head hitting the cover and then the cover bunches up and looks terrible.

lean back
Old 04-15-2005, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can totally see that thing sagging down hard after a few years...
Old 04-15-2005, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Huey

lean back
adjust the seat.... lower and back

No problem here yet
Old 04-15-2005, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You mean we are suppose to close it? I leave both mine open. Think I closed them once since I got the car.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sometimes the sun just glares down in my face so i close it so it wont bother but i dunno, i guess what holds it closed loosened up or something. So if shift hard it just pops open. getting on my nerves
Old 04-15-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LIKE OR AS GOD
You mean we are suppose to close it? I leave both mine open. Think I closed them once since I got the car.
You are supposed to close it. The sun damages the interior over time. Also people can see inside your car from above and might try to get inside your car from above.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The roof glass has deep tinting and it's got UV filtering in all the glass of the windows. I leave mine open, you can't easily see down into the car. Besides, that little cover isn't going to stop anyone from smashing the sunroof glass if they really want in.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I leave mine open all the time, but I also garage park my car at home and work, so heat and UV aren't big concerns. I figured it would probably sag more if it was always open. I think we're all in agreement - other than the stereo cover, the sunroof cover is the cheesiest part of the car. Honestly though, if they were going to cut corners, I'm fine with them doing it there. I just wish they came out with a guide that said "we did this on the cheap, but you can help it last longer by xxx" or something.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iowagary
I leave mine open all the time, but I also garage park my car at home and work, so heat and UV aren't big concerns. I figured it would probably sag more if it was always open. I think we're all in agreement - other than the stereo cover, the sunroof cover is the cheesiest part of the car. Honestly though, if they were going to cut corners, I'm fine with them doing it there. I just wish they came out with a guide that said "we did this on the cheap, but you can help it last longer by xxx" or something.
How is it cheap? When u have two glass panels for a roof....where exactly are u gonna put the sunroof cover?...and clearly is needs to be flexible to roll up...don't get me wrong im not doggin ya or anything but it isn't really cheap...its just smart to have something like that...the only problem i have with mine is that is rolls up way too slow hen i open it manually....when the sunroof opens....it moves the shade back with it quickly.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Setarcos4131

How is it cheap? When u have two glass panels for a roof....where exactly are u gonna put the sunroof cover?...and clearly is needs to be flexible to roll up...don't get me wrong im not doggin ya or anything but it isn't really cheap...its just smart to have something like that...the only problem i have with mine is that is rolls up way too slow hen i open it manually....when the sunroof opens....it moves the shade back with it quickly.
Have you ever had those window blinds that work the same way as our sunroof cover? I have. They always break. Always. The retraction mechanism is based on a spring, and there is nothing to keep the sides of the shade stiff. Look - Toyota knows how to play the game. If you're insinuating there was no other way to get it done, you're totally wrong. If you're saying that the other ways to do it would have cost too much, you're probably right and I agree - just don't confuse the two. A friend of mine has a Saab with a sunroof cover that is rigid and slides back into the roof. I know we've got a lot of glass up there so space is limited. But they could have designed a panel with several sections that would stack up or something. I'm sure they could have done something, even if it was to make the cover cleanly removable, which would have been an admission that it's somewhat cheap looking, so the people that don't want it could just remove it. That's all I'm saying. It wouldn't surprise me if they redesigned it for future models. I haven't heard anyone say "wow... I sure like that sunroof cover".
Old 04-16-2005, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Huey

lean back
do the rock away
Old 04-16-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sharapov
I can totally see that thing sagging down hard after a few years...
It can't...it's spring loaded to stretch...if the spring goes bad, it'll sag, and not even retract...
Old 04-16-2005, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm more worried about it looking frayed and cheap than sagging. As long as the spring is good and the retraction mechanism works, it's probably ok, but if it frays or warps, it will let in even more light around the edges. I think it basically does the job. I just don't like how it works. If I never use it, it will probably be in pretty good shape for a while, but I doubt it will be the last thing on the car to go, you know?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Everyone's an expert.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Have you ever had those window blinds that work the same way as our sunroof cover? I have. They always break. Always. The retraction mechanism is based on a spring, and there is nothing to keep the sides of the shade stiff. Look - Toyota knows how to play the game. If you're insinuating there was no other way to get it done, you're totally wrong. If you're saying that the other ways to do it would have cost too much, you're probably right and I agree - just don't confuse the two. A friend of mine has a Saab with a sunroof cover that is rigid and slides back into the roof. I know we've got a lot of glass up there so space is limited. But they could have designed a panel with several sections that would stack up or something. I'm sure they could have done something, even if it was to make the cover cleanly removable, which would have been an admission that it's somewhat cheap looking, so the people that don't want it could just remove it. That's all I'm saying. It wouldn't surprise me if they redesigned it for future models. I haven't heard anyone say "wow... I sure like that sunroof cover".
The stackable panel ones are complete POS in most cases. They get to a point where they will not shut properly. A solid one will not work in this application either, so the design they used is about the only way... I have sat and looked at it before, and see no other way. The only improvement I can see would be on the sides to keep them in place better... And you cant compare ours to those window blinds unless you have taken them completely apart to see if the spring mechanism, end peices, etc are designed the same way.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow... I sure like that sunroof cover
Old 04-17-2005, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh... that makes one.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It keeps the sun off of me when I want. Until mine breaks, Im not gonna knock it. I don't know what quality springs they used, what material they used, or the exact latching mechanism, but mine does it's job and I was kind of impressed with their ingenuity for as limited a space as they had to work with. I could probably come up with 10 something betters, but this is what I've got and for the price I paid for the car, it works, and I'm happy. Don't mean to rant, but we didn't buy Porsches. We really got a lot of quality and ingenuity at a low price and I'm not gonna say some guy for toyota sat there and said lets MAKE this cheap. I think they tried to maximize quality at a fair price, so that this new line of cars would succeed. That's part of why I bought my Scion. I digress, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Cover !?!?!?!?!?