Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Sunroof isn't closing like normal

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sunroof isn't closing like normal

Anyone had a problem with their roof on their TC not closing all the way? This just started with my stepdaughter's TC. I'm going to take it to my dealer, but I don't know how long it will take to fix. It will shut, but you have to hit the close button in repetitions when the front of the roof is about to fold down. Didn't think I was heading back to the dealer, but oh well. I was there a few weeks ago to get her key replaced. Key was damaged, it just broke apart. Damn kids.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:13 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

did it want to reopen?
if so.. you might just need some lube.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

silicone grease the tracks...
Old 04-25-2007, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this isn't normal?

i had a problem with my wind deflector not going down, so the sunroofs pinch guard would kick-in and fully open the sunroof again, the dealership lubed and adjusted the track to fix it.

but i thought it was normal that when your closing the sunroof from all the way open, it would stop at a pre-set position with just alittle opening towards the front of the roof? and then you have to hit the close button again to make it fully close? i thought that was normal? or do you mean you are literally sitting there hitting the sunroof close button over and over again to get it to close all the way?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when driving at speeds above 50MPH, is the roof open often?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
did it want to reopen?
if so.. you might just need some lube.

Yes, it reopens fine. Just when closing it, it goes back in reverse when it's coming where the two bars inside of the roof are about to lower so the front of the roof can fold down. It sounds weird, but thats the best I can explain it. Im sure I can get it fixed. Just a glitch.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="draxcaliber"] this isn't normal?

i had a problem with my wind deflector not going down, so the sunroofs pinch guard would kick-in and fully open the sunroof again, the dealership lubed and adjusted the track to fix it.

but i thought it was normal that when your closing the sunroof from all the way open, it would stop at a pre-set position with just alittle opening towards the front of the roof? and then you have to hit the close button again to make it fully close? i thought that was normal? or do you mean you are literally sitting there hitting the sunroof close button over and over again to get it to close all the way?[/quote

I think that is what the problem with my TC is. You mentioned about the wind deflector not going down, so the pinch guard would kick in, then it reopens. So I will definitely tell my dealer about this and will get them to lube it and fix this glitch.
See, what I meant to state earlier is that when Im about to close the roof, I can only fully shut it by punching the close button repetitively. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, like i said, it is the pinch guard reacting because the wind deflector won't go down, take it to the dealership, doesn't take long to fix.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
yeah, like i said, it is the pinch guard reacting because the wind deflector won't go down, take it to the dealership, doesn't take long to fix.

Thanks again for your help and advice! If I ever have any problems or questions I usually always come to ScionLife first. Take good care my friend.

Damon
Old 04-25-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Sunroof isn't closing like normal

Originally Posted by Damondogg
Anyone had a problem with their roof on their TC not closing all the way? This just started with my stepdaughter's TC. I'm going to take it to my dealer, but I don't know how long it will take to fix. It will shut, but you have to hit the close button in repetitions when the front of the roof is about to fold down. Didn't think I was heading back to the dealer, but oh well. I was there a few weeks ago to get her key replaced. Key was damaged, it just broke apart. Damn kids.
Disconnect one of battery cable than reconnect it than try to open and close it again.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member

I had a similar problem. I first noticed it this winter one day when I was sitting at a light and snow was blowing in my car. There was a quarter inch gap that wouldn't close. I took it to the dealer and they had to replace the entire sunroof.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member

I've found that when it is especially hot out, the sunroof won't go down unless I manually hold down the wind deflector. I haven't figured out why the heat does this exactly but for now I'll just hold it down with my hand while it closes on sunny days and deal.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by solarcaylee
I've found that when it is especially hot out, the sunroof won't go down unless I manually hold down the wind deflector. I haven't figured out why the heat does this exactly but for now I'll just hold it down with my hand while it closes on sunny days and deal.
yeah, i had that problem my first summer with the car while down in florida. jus take it to the dealership, they'll fix it, it is all under warranty, no need to stick your arm out the window and hold it down.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My sunroof used to not close all the way so when i would drive on the freeway i ended up hearing some wind come in (as if it weren't closed all the way) i disconnected the battery and reset all my windows including my sunroof, and when i reset the sunroof it closed fully, and NO MORE WIND NOISE!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member

I've also had this same problem and will probably point it out at the next oil change here in a week or so. It hasn't really been a big deal for me though just hold down the wind deflector and it closes tight every time.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member

Does anyone else have a good explanation to this? I've had my car 10 months and it just started to do this. I'm going to just deal with it until my next oil change.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I had the same problem, posted a thread about it, and had good advice.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...690&highlight=

I fixed the problem myself.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had this problem too.. sometimes I would just have to force it in.. then I'd bring it to the dealership and it's stop causing that problem