2005-2010 [ANT10]

Sunroof...SHATTERED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

thermal dynamics... it was hot as hell here last night... that sucks man.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

happen to mine after two weeks of owning the car... they replaced the roof and side curtain airbags (glass debris got in it) and then the driver seat and arm rest cuz the foos screwed up the interior working on it. Took 2 weeks to fix. i drove a camry while it was being worked on and put more miles on it then i did my tC.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member

this happens to car alot when you put after market tint on it. We see that alot in FL..
Old 08-25-2005, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spottedbrown
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the sunroof cost about 700 or was it 1200...all i remember was that it was an insane ammount of moolah...
That would actually be cheap for one. I had to replace one in my 96 Saturn (and it is a normal moonroof, much smaller) and it ran $1250. I think the glass alone was $700 or so, but they will most likely replace the entire unit if they believe it is faulty.

The nhtsa has an open investigation of this problem.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The NHTSA did an investigation into this and concluded the cause of the windshield shattering was debris hitting it at high speeds. This seems to debunk this conclusion. Unfortunately not enough people who are experiencing this are reporting it to the NHTSA, you really should! I believe you can report it on your website.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by fromos
The NHTSA did an investigation into this and concluded the cause of the windshield shattering was debris hitting it at high speeds. This seems to debunk this conclusion. Unfortunately not enough people who are experiencing this are reporting it to the NHTSA, you really should! I believe you can report it on your website.
The investigation is still open as of today. If you read the documents, TOYOTA made that conclusion, not the NHTSA. They do thier own testing as well and force recalls if there is a safety defect found. And their investigation is of the wind deflector portion of the moonroof, not the windshield. The documents are viewable on their website under the defect investigation for the Toyota Scion tC (I know.. but that is what they call it).
Old 08-25-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats crazy, no more boom boom in my car
Old 08-25-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

my chassis flexs so much from a lowered car and going over through dips at a 45 degree angle makes the sunroof snap and stuff... its really uncomforting to hear that sound and maybe one day it will finally shatter on me. im gonna see the dealer about this soon.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DuMa
my chassis flexs so much from a lowered car and going over through dips at a 45 degree angle makes the sunroof snap and stuff... its really uncomforting to hear that sound and maybe one day it will finally shatter on me. im gonna see the dealer about this soon.
Keep in mind that the chasis flex is no different than any other unibody car.. actually less than some. I have seen many unibodys on which, when jacked up on one corner or one side, the doors will not even open or close properly. The pop is due to a loose screw in the sunroof assembly from what I understand of the TSB. This is more prominent on a panoramic sunroof since the assembly is tied to the sides of the roof rather than the the center of the roof like a smaller sunroof is. At least that is my take on it. I would def get it fixed though.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

regardless of the fact that the chasis flex is the same as a normal unibody, the simple fact that its glass is what makes all the difference. Metal can bend glass shatters. Picture glass twisting and bending the way metal does. I cringe just thinking about it because glass shatters easily under stress.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guido
this happens to car alot when you put after market tint on it. We see that alot in FL..
On a sunroof that's not tinted stock?

Isn't the tC glass tinted stock (on the roof)?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn man what kinda sub do u got? crazy shiznit
Old 08-26-2005, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if Toyota will void your warranty if you mod your car with a ton of suspension mods and your sunroof shatters.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I hope this never appens to me while it is pouring rain.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

You said you had your radio up loud....... By any chance were you playing Ella Fitzgerald..... I seen Memerox commercials where she shattered a wine glass .....
Old 12-06-2005, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but that is the EXACT same thing happened this past Saturday, December 3rd. We were cruising at 40mph and it just shattered. This is my girlfriend's car so I'm trying to get all the info because the dealer is giving her problems. I believe they will be warrantying it but I don't want to take any chances and put it on the insurance. SHe got the car in June as a 06 model. Did this happen to anyone else?