2005-2010 [ANT10]

Supercharger vs. Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CervezA
To be quite honest, I'd probably purchase a factory s/c car over a factory turbo'd car. When it comes to turbos, the boost isn't constant, therefore the engine is receiving uneven wear. Seems to me that a supercharger would keep your engine and parts working smoothly and, more importantly, consistently.
I respect your opinion, but both super- and turbochargers have the same effect as far as "uneven wear". It's not even really a valid point to make, since the engine is made to operate at different RPM and consume different amounts of fuel and air even without forced induction. If the ECU, ignition and fuel systems can all keep up, the engine doesn't care whether there's a supercharger or a jet turbine hooked to the intake. Also, most superchargers do not provide an equal amount of boost throughout the RPM range, while a properly tuned turbo can produce the same boost from say, 2500 RPM to redline. Granted, any forced induction will cause greater wear than normal aspiration.

Personally, I would probably go for a factory turbo over factory supercharger. The turbo has fewer moving parts to wear out or fail, plus no belts to worry about.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="JasonH"]
Originally Posted by CervezA
Personally, I would probably go for a factory turbo over factory supercharger. The turbo has fewer moving parts to wear out or fail, plus no belts to worry about.
No doubt about that. The more moving parts, the easier to break, the more expensive to fix.
By consistent, I meant liear power, my bad. Seems like a linear curve would put less stress, especially at low (8ish lbs) boost. The air/fuel ratio etc is all tuned when putting any sort of F/I system on a car, so that kind of takes care of that.

I'm just lookin' out for my car, thats all. Want to keep it in good condit. as long as i can
Old 07-07-2004, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbos don't put stress on the crank from a belt. Turbos are normally intercooled and more efficent letting them make more power, at less boost. I rather have a turbo running 6psi making 230fwhp, then a blower making 10psi making 210hp.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

:twisted:
Old 07-07-2004, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it easy to blow up an engine? if I do eventually blow it up how much will it cost me to get a new one and will the insurance company get it?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cornfield
is it easy to blow up an engine? if I do eventually blow it up how much will it cost me to get a new one and will the insurance company get it?
Sometimes. More than I'd care to pay. Definitely not.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol never seen a blown up engine b4 does it explode? like blast the pistons through the hood? anyway how do you activate the turbo is it with a push of a button I know it has something to do with pressure and psi. would I get more power if I get a turbo every when will I have to replace it. I'm a mechanical engineering major but just finished sophmore year havn't gotten into the hardcore stuff yet. thanx in advance. :D
Old 07-07-2004, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cornfield
lol never seen a blown up engine b4 does it explode? like blast the pistons through the hood? anyway how do you activate the turbo is it with a push of a button I know it has something to do with pressure and psi. would I get more power if I get a turbo every when will I have to replace it. I'm a mechanical engineering major but just finished sophmore year havn't gotten into the hardcore stuff yet. thanx in advance. :D
You need to read this.

Yes, an engine could throw pistons through the hood, but typically a connecting rod breaks and the crank drives it through the side of the block. This releases the oil from the engine (and usually coolant too) and makes for a rather spectacular display of smoke, fluids and cursing.