Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC Alarm Chip Location?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default tC Alarm Chip Location?

Hey guys, I was informed at the dealer the other day that all tC's come with a built in alarm. I guess what they do
if you don't want it, is take out a chip somewhere in the car and that deactivates. I found a site that sells the chip for $295.

Does anyone know where this chip would be located?

Thanks

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2021 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 09-15-2004, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm about 99 percent sure its not a chip, but a connection of wires somewhere....i heard that from someone else on the board who got the scion alarm installed
Old 09-15-2004, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm tossing the tC alarm and going with Viper...
Old 09-15-2004, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yeah i was thinking of that, if you get a alarm like that can it use the auto unlock/lock?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: TC Alarm

Originally Posted by th3s3x
hey guys, I was informed at the dealer the other day that all tc's come with a built in alarm...i guess what they do if you don't want it, is take out a chip somewhere in the car and that deactivates....i found a site that sells the chip for 295...does anyone know where this chip would be located?

Thanks
i am pretty sure thats not true... there might be some wiring involved but thats would be it.
Alarm is an dealer installed option
Old 09-15-2004, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Its true sort of but its not really an alarm. It's called an Engine Immobilizer and basically
it's impossible to hot wire from my understanding its standard on all the tCs.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2021 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 09-15-2004, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys, I was informed at the dealer the other day that all tc's come with a built in alarm...i guess what they do if you don't want it, is take out a chip somewhere in the car and that deactivates....i found a site that sells the chip for 295...does anyone know where this chip would be located?

Thanks
I'm 100% sure that's bull____.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks
yeah, the tC comes standard with an engine immobilizer or starter disable (the chip in your key allows the engine to start) but that's far different from an alarm that has motion sensors and an entry alarm.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chris0

Thanks
yeah, the tC comes standard with an engine immobilizer or starter disable (the chip in your key allows the engine to start) but that's far different from an alarm that has motion sensors and an entry alarm.
Yeah - I got this as part of that extended warranty package thing. It disables the starter if someone breaks the glass or something else (opens the car when it's locked maybe??)
Old 09-15-2004, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got my security system installed

naw dude.
they put madd wires and put em everywhere

window breaking sensor, lock, unlock alarms, chip in keys(i think that's what gets activated), they put about 20 wires hook up right next to clutch behind the left foot rest.

the only reason why i got the scion security is to keep the origianl remotekey
if you get other brands you won't get to use them and plus extra heavy remotes

but on the other side, you get the impect sensor which goes off whenever,(thunder) to the little things(I know you can change the sensitivity) which is good when people would like to touch your car alot when the car is fairly new + the ultimate paging system which i envy...... but.. little trouble you may get, short circuits and some problems that takes your waranty away.......

thing i hate about the oem system is they do not make none of that "beep beep" sound, it is just "blink blink"

well it is up to you but i totally like my alarm...so.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) All tCs have engine immobilizers. That means if somebody tries to hotwire it or start it with anything but one of your keys (either the two with the keyless entry remotes or the valet key) it will not start. The keys have chips that disable the immobilzer.

2) I believe there is a way to hook up an aftermarket alarm so that it arms and disarms using the original keyless entry remote. I haven't heard of anybody doing it, but there's no reason that a good installer couldn't.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Only way to steal a tC is to tow it away. The alarm has a glass breakage sensor, so when someone tries to pop your window or door to snag your 6 disc, it whines like a stuck pig.

Hit the panic on your keyless to give it a listen. Even outside, it's really, really loud.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I decided not to go with the factory alarm. I think you can get a lot more from an aftermarket alarm for the same price. But anyway, I got a Viper alarm hooked up at Auto Addictions in Jersey. While I was there I asked the guy if they could wire the Viper alarm to run of the factory key, using the lock, unlock, and panic features cause I really didnt want to have to use another remote key pad. But anyway, he said it is possible but the range on it sucks. He actually showed me and wired it up and you physically had to have the key against the car for it to work. So I decided just to go with Viper remote because the range on it is great. Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by techwolf
Only way to steal a tC is to tow it away. The alarm has a glass breakage sensor, so when someone tries to pop your window or door to snag your 6 disc, it whines like a stuck pig.

Hit the panic on your keyless to give it a listen. Even outside, it's really, really loud.
Only if you have the optional alarm, which I don't.

Originally Posted by C Money
But anyway, he said it is possible but the range on it sucks. He actually showed me and wired it up and you physically had to have the key against the car for it to work. So I decided just to go with Viper remote because the range on it is great.
I'm curious how he wired it up. Maybe he just programmed the Viper to use the standard keyless entry remote? I think you should be able to tap into the keyless entry wiring and run that to the Viper, but I don't know the specifics of either. That way you would keep the standard range of the keyless entry remote.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC VIP parts include a wiring harness and two modules that fit up behind the glove box and of course the security light w/ glass break sensor

Scion System has same features as aftermarket. . .. except remote start. . .. but I have a manual, so nix that

z

__

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2021 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 09-15-2004, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Scion Security??

Really???

Does the Scion Security have all of these features????

Intrusion Detection
Audible Warning
Passive and Active Arming
Starter Disabler
Panic Feature
LED Status Indicator
Dome Light Illumination
Valet Mode
Flashing Parking Lights

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2021 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 09-15-2004, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a Clifford Alarm the next day after i got the car.

The security system on the tC consists of keyless entry, and a chip in your key that won't allow any other key to start your car.

On the other hand, if you add a aftermarket alarm like the Clifford, you have the option of paging system that will
have vibration sensor, paging system, as well as window roll down and remote start. (I'm not really sure of the remote start)

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2021 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 09-15-2004, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

.. it has everything that chefman listed, .. except the valet mode .. .. . .. do you have to tip for that?

Intrusion Detection
Audible Warning
Passive and Active Arming
Starter Disabler
Panic Feature
LED Status Indicator
Dome Light Illumination
Valet Mode - na
Flashing Parking Lights

.. . has all other features, i know because i installed mine and tested each feature and also programmed the passive alarm which is pretty funny sequence of locking/unlocking doors and locks .. .

. . .what quikgw is talking about is the basic keyless entry and ignition cutoff that is standard in all tC's . .
Old 09-15-2004, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've been reading all of this and now I'm debating the stock alarm system.

Do the people who have the stock system like it? ...and feel comfortable with it?

I had originally planned on purchasing an after market system for the purpose of remote start, etc...

But if the stock system is of similar quality to an aftermarket system it may be better to just add the remote start if I still feel like I can't live without it after getting the new car??
Old 09-16-2004, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If anyone wants a kick ___ alarm for their Scion and really cares about their car and wants a hell of a discount on insurance. Then go to Best Buy and pick up a Viper two way alarm. I work there.
It'll notify you up to a 3/4 to a mile away if anything is going on. (There is a LCD screen on the remote) Also you can unlock your doors from a long way away. That is what I'm getting when i get my tC.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2021 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge

Quick Reply: tC Alarm Chip Location?