Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC is based on camry platform

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default tC is based on camry platform

I was talking to my sales man about ordering my xA and he asked why I wasn't interested in the tC anymore I gave him the weight that was posted and told him that it was too big.... He asked one of the distributor who were in town about it and he told him that it was built off the camry platform.... It's going to be almost the same as the solara with a diff body.... I see this as a mitsu eclipse fighter not a competitor for the RSX......
Old 01-30-2004, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: tC is based on camry platform

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
I was talking to my sales man about ordering my xA and he asked why I wasn't interested in the tC anymore I gave him the weight that was posted and told him that it was too big.... He asked one of the distributor who were in town about it and he told him that it was built off the camry platform.... It's going to be almost the same as the solara with a diff body.... I see this as a mitsu eclipse fighter not a competitor for the RSX......
There is considerable danger in believing what a salesman says. With a few exceptions they know surprisingly little about the products they sell.

George
Old 01-30-2004, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by George
There is considerable danger in believing what a salesman says. With a few exceptions they know surprisingly little about the products they sell.

George
I believe the Scion tc is based off of the european aventis platform. Not the Camry. Even so, I don't know what that says for the cars handling. I do know that it looks pretty darn nice.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by George

George
Couldn't agree more. Most salepeople don't know squat about their products. Which is fine by me, easier for me to sell. Toyota's really tight lipped about product info even to us, so I wouldn't jump to guns until I get a reliable source telling me about the car. The distributor, unless he's an enthusiats, probaly doesn't ____ either.

Sam
Old 01-30-2004, 03:44 PM
vho
5 Year Member

compared the 4 cars exterior dimensions.
tc is only a few inches bigger than the RSX but not as big as the camry.
and the new solara is actually bigger then the camry.

Acura RSX(msn.com)
Wheelbase (in.) 101.20
Length (in.) 172.20
Width (in.) 67.90
Height (in.) 55.10

Scion tC(scion.com)
Overall height 55.7
Overall width 69.1
Overall length 174
Wheelbase 106.3

Toyota Camry LE(msn.com)
Wheelbase (in.) 107.10
Length (in.) 189.20
Width (in.) 70.70
Height (in.) 57.90

Toyota solara(msn.com)
Wheelbase (in.) 107.20
Length (in.) 192.60
Width (in.) 71.50
Height (in.) 56.10
Old 01-31-2004, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattephotofinish
I believe the Scion tc is based off of the european aventis platform. Not the Camry. Even so, I don't know what that says for the cars handling. I do know that it looks pretty darn nice.
that is the information that is being released
Old 01-31-2004, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

camry engine/avensis platform these things we have known for awhile. (a long while)

van, drew, verone, and this jay(jaywade24) guy seems to know whats up, other wise if it wasn't one of these people whatever salesperson you talked to has no clue.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:50 AM
5 Year Member

The tC isn't porky enuff to be a camry or a solara.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:14 PM
wit
5 Year Member

I still say the tC is matrix reduced the height, remove two doors,
make back seat reclining, steal here and there from avensis, copy here
and there everywhere and put a camry engine in it. the trunk space..........
Old 03-01-2004, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wit
That's pretty dumb thinking (goes for the original poster as well). Why would you say that when you're not even close to being correct?

It's the AVENSIS platform. Not the Corolla platform. It doesn't resemble the Matrix in any way structurally, mechanically, or stylistically.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You have to wonder where some people come up with this stuff. It's been widely known since January what the tc is based on. It seems like some members of S.L. are just here to raise there post count rather than offer up something intelligent.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KrAuSeScIoN
You have to wonder where some people come up with this stuff. It's been widely known since January what the tc is based on. It seems like some members of S.L. are just here to raise there post count rather than offer up something intelligent.
I wanted to say the same thing, but since I'm a new member I didn't feel as though I had enough clout (for lack of a better word) to make that statement. :D
Old 03-01-2004, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by LVXB
camry engine/avensis platform these things we have known for awhile. (a long while)

van, drew, verone, and this jay(jaywade24) guy seems to know whats up, other wise if it wasn't one of these people whatever salesperson you talked to has no clue.
hey thanks alot :D :D...I believe the frame and some of the body lines were inspired/based on the AVENSIS which is more or less a Camry in Europe, now the engine is the same 4 that's in the camry and solara, 2.4 duel overhand cams with VVT-I (which is Toyota's verson of V-tech) but judgeing form the stats that have already been posted it looks like they may have geared the engine differently( the Xa, and Xb both have the same engine as the echo, but geared differently as well) so I guess you could make a arguement that the Tc is based on both, here the neat part this IS the first car built FOR scion, this car isn't for sell anyway else, the Xb,(or bB), and xA (ist) are sold else where in the world, the Scion Tc is all us baby!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jaywade24

hey thanks alot :D :D...I believe the frame and some of the body lines were inspired/based on the AVENSIS which is more or less a Camry in Europe, now the engine is the same 4 that's in the camry and solara, 2.4 duel overhand cams with VVT-I (which is Toyota's verson of V-tech) but judgeing form the stats that have already been posted it looks like they may have geared the engine differently( the Xa, and Xb both have the same engine as the echo, but geared differently as well) so I guess you could make a arguement that the Tc is based on both, here the neat part this IS the first car built FOR scion, this car isn't for sell anyway else, the Xb,(or bB), and xA (ist) are sold else where in the world, the Scion Tc is all us baby!!!
No, you really can't make the argument that the car is based on both. When you say Car Y is based on Car X, you are referring to the chassis. Not the engine. Using that logic, for example, you could say that the LS430 is based on the GS430 when that's not the case at all.

The engine is shared with the Estima in Japan if I am not mistaken. Same stats.

And to say the Avensis is the European Camry is not quite fair. The Avensis is a better vehicle is virtually all respects.

To make a long story short, the fact that the tC uses the same engine that is found in the Camry means virtually nothing, expect we know we are getting a capable, proven, and reliable powerplant.

The last thing we need is for parallels to be drawn between the tC and the Camry.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by CofCtC

No, you really can't make the argument that the car is based on both. When you say Car Y is based on Car X, you are referring to the chassis. Not the engine. Using that logic, for example, you could say that the LS430 is based on the GS430 when that's not the case at all.

And to say the Avensis is the European Camry is not quite fair. The Avensis is a better vehicle is virtually all respects.

To make a long story short, the fact that the tC uses the same engine that is found in the Camry means virtually nothing, expect we know we are getting a capable, proven, and reliable powerplant.

The last thing we need is for parallels to be drawn between the tC and the Camry.
okay.....Scion has released the Tc is based on the Avensis, it shares the same engine as the camry and solara, as far as the Avensis being better or like the camry, I've never driven a Avensis but that's Toyota's mid-size sedan we sell in Europe, I'm sure it's does handle a little better than the american camry, don't most euro cars perform better than amercian counterparts, it's a different market they have to. I think it does matter that the engine is as you said proven, that does matter to a lot of people. As far as parallels to the camry, what's wrong with the camry??? it's a great car, it's a proven car, it sells well. I want to say the same about the Tc, how is that a bad thing??? One of the best features of Scion is they share the high build quality of toyota, but have also allowed us a car and process that speaks to us ( all us Gen y's and Gen x's).....there's nothing wrong with Toyota's, I hope that the Tc will be as popular as the Camry...okay end of my rant, by the way welcome to the boards adrian, I hope you find this site both fun and full of info :D
Old 03-01-2004, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay.....Scion has released the Tc is based on the Avensis, it shares the same engine as the camry and solara, as far as the Avensis being better or like the camry, I've never driven a Avensis but that's Toyota's mid-size sedan we sell in Europe, I'm sure it's does handle a little better than the american camry, don't most euro cars perform better than amercian counterparts, it's a different market they have to. I think it does matter that the engine is as you said proven, that does matter to a lot of people. As far as parallels to the camry, what's wrong with the camry??? it's a great car, it's a proven car, it sells well. I want to say the same about the Tc, how is that a bad thing??? One of the best features of Scion is they share the high build quality of toyota, but have also allowed us a car and process that speaks to us ( all us Gen y's and Gen x's).....there's nothing wrong with Toyota's, I hope that the Tc will be as popular as the Camry...okay end of my rant, by the way welcome to the boards adrian, I hope you find this site both fun and full of info :D
Thanks for the welcome, and I agree with you for the most part. The Camry is no doubt a great car. But seeing that Scion is going after a youthful, sporty image with the tC, it would kind of be a double-edged sword comparison.

On one hand, you have the great reliability and quality of the Camry to compare it to, but then again, the Camry has never been known for style or performance.

It is made in the same factory as the JDM Camry, too.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Thanks for the welcome, and I agree with you for the most part. The Camry is no doubt a great car. But seeing that Scion is going after a youthful, sporty image with the tC, it would kind of be a double-edged sword comparison.

On one hand, you have the great reliability and quality of the Camry to compare it to, but then again, the Camry has never been known for style or performance.

Your welcome bro....that's what this forum is all about.,...this is a neat place to learn and meet some cool people, I'm gettin a Tc for myself I can't wait.....This car will put Scion over the top as far as sales goes...I do think this car will compete against the civic coupe, the RSX, i think it will do well against the prelude...the Tc is going to be a great car..... I'm in :D
Old 03-01-2004, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your welcome bro....that's what this forum is all about.,...this is a neat place to learn and meet some cool people, I'm gettin a Tc for myself I can't wait.....This car will put Scion over the top as far as sales goes...I do think this car will compete against the civic coupe, the RSX, i think it will do well against the prelude...the Tc is going to be a great car..... I'm in :D
I'm thinking the same thing...even though its intended competition is the Civic Coupe EX, it will do well against premium coupes like the RSX too.

I really liked the Prelude, but they no longer make them. Besides, I am a Toyota fan for life! Can't wait for the tC! :D
Old 03-01-2004, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member

HAHA, dont listen to the sales people. One of them told me yesterday that the tc's are arriving next month and will probably be in ca before the rest of the country since scion started off in ca.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wit
any car can look like anything if you remove doors, adjust the height, move seats and just about everything else.

Quick Reply: tC is based on camry platform