Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC driver arrested and charged: Homicide

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

street racing is just stupid. street racing while the pavment is wet is just asking for a kick in the head
Old 01-27-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as tragic as it is. all i have to say is darwin wins out, and hopefully this can weed out hte idiots who buy their kids BMWs, and idiot kids who drive like jeff gordon. and i'll admit i do drive a bit more spirited than i should but man,
Old 01-27-2006, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

BMW's are safe cars...people aren't idiots for buying their kids expensive cars...people are idiots for not raising their kids right
Old 01-27-2006, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Its hard to teach commonsense
Old 01-27-2006, 12:41 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Batjew
as tragic as it is. all i have to say is darwin wins out, and hopefully this can weed out hte idiots who buy their kids BMWs, and idiot kids who drive like jeff gordon. and i'll admit i do drive a bit more spirited than i should but man,
In a messed up way, this has a lot of sense in it. Maybe this will teach parents that buying their kids these fancy fast cars and not teaching them responsibility is a problem. Alot of it goes back to the parents, and this whole incident is a prime example.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
In a messed up way, this has a lot of sense in it. Maybe this will teach parents that buying their kids these fancy fast cars and not teaching them responsibility is a problem. .
Well, unfortunately it wont. This has happend for decades, and keeps on happening. Parents want to make their kids happy and be their best friends (the COOL mom and dad), not teach them responsibility.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

its never the parents fault - its always either the video games, rap music, McDonalds, etc....
Old 01-27-2006, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by atodak
its never the parents fault - its always either the video games, rap music, McDonalds, etc....
Ha ha, dont forget the A.D.D. everyone has.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sanjuro
Originally Posted by atodak
Ha ha, dont forget the A.D.D. everyone has.
Huh? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never understood why they didn't show true horrific gruesome REAL crashes in driver's ed. I'm not talking about cars just smashed, but like ones I saw in my private driver's ed. (I went private instead of school). The ones I saw had blood and hair embedded in the windshield, bloody people, etc. Made me realize quick how everyday driving is dangerous. I beleive it helped me out a lot,
Old 01-27-2006, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Its the big thing nowadays. No-one takes responsibility for anything.

The school didnt rasie the kids right
The tV corrupted them
The music did it
Someone is fat becasue McDonalds made them eat that way
The gun manufacturer made that bad man shoot someone
The cigarrette company made that person smoke 3 packs a day

I get more and more tired of it, and if you think about it.. it is partially due to people becoming weaker and weaker. To put it bluntly, people have become p#$$ies that wont take responsibility for anything they do and want to sue or blame others for it. People need to stand up and suck it up and take care of thier own.

But in this case the kids made a dumb decision, and ultimately it had nothing to do with what type of car the kids were driving, if they had common sense and some form of responsibility it wouldnt have happened. I hope I dont have to hear that it too gets blamed on everything but that like everything else.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Why the hell is he getting vehicular manslaughter charges? I understand he broke the law and should be charged, but he didn't kill the kid. They both made a choice to race, and the dead kid had the car I'd bet to win. Am I missing some form of reasoning here?
Old 01-27-2006, 02:41 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I know it has nothing to do with the car they were driving that caused the accident.
But unfortunatly, the type of car they are driving speaks for their upbringing. A 16 yr old driving a BMW shows that it was handed to him. It shows that instead of being out working and learning responsibility, he was driving around in a car that was handed to him, and he had enough free time to streetrace.
If his parents hadnt of handed a highend car to him, he might have been out working with adults who could possibly have taught him responsibility that would have made him think twice about street racing.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update from today's paper detailing the accident:

According to court documents, officers responding to the crash shortly after 2 p.m. Wednesday said Virk wept and admitted he had been racing with his friend Sodhi. He said he could've done more to help save his life.

Neil Poussier of Issaquah told police he was driving southbound on Coal Creek Parkway when he saw a black 2006 Toyota Scion leading a red BMW at speeds in excess of 70 mph through the intersection with Forest Drive Southeast. The roadway was wet with rain and posted with a 40 mph speed limit.

The witness said he saw the red car try to pass the black Scion on the right, but the BMW had to jerk back behind the Scion because another car was in the right lane. Poussier and other witnesses said they then saw the driver lose control of the red BMW and hit a maroon Subaru and then a silver Volkswagen Beetle before bursting into flames.

Witnesses tried to rescue Sodhi from the burning BMW, police said, but the flames grew too quickly. They could do nothing. Sodhi was alone in the car.

Virk's Scion was not hit in the accident. He told police that he returned to the scene of the crash after calling 911 on his cell phone, the court documents state. He told police that he saw the accident in his rear-view mirror.

When an officer asked if he had been racing the BMW, court documents state, Virk said ``Yes.'' Then he asked if his friend was dead
Old 01-27-2006, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, not so sure that I agree with charging the surviving kid with manslaughter. I mean, *if* the two kids were racing and one of them lost control and killed someone *else*, then yes, you could charge both of them with the crime.

however, this seems to me like two kids playing russian roulette. One kid blows his brains out, and since they have to charge SOMEBODY, they blame the kid who was also playing.

hold people responsible for their own actions. the 16 year old was breaking the law and killed himself. ultimately he was responsible for his own actions.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
things like this create stereotypes for scion owners..
Someone dies and you're worried about your image? The kid, I'm sure realized how stupid street racing was. He lost a friend for goodness sake and now he's going to be punished for it.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They are making an example out of him. I am guessing that since he is over 18 and the other kid was 16 that has a LOT to do with it. If you go out at 18 (even though you are not old enough to drink.. but are an adult) and drink with a 16 year old, or even let them in your party and allow them to drink it is big time trouble. They are most likely using the same mentality to make an example out of this guy. Not to say it is right or wrong, but that is the jest of it. But, they did both have some responsibility in his death. If the older driver would have simply not raced him, there is a big chance it would not have happened. By agreeing to race him, he did play a role in the crash. If I provide a means for someone to get completely trashed at my house, then allow them to leave without trying to stop them and they kill themselves in a crash, the law can find me partially responsible in thier death. It doesnt always seem completely right, but that is how it can work out. Ultimately the guy had a chance not to race and wreck, so it comes down to it being his own fault. But these are some of the viewpoints the law is considering.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
They are making an example out of him.
Thats precisely what they are doing. Honestly, no matter what the state does, I can't imagine a punishment worse for him than looking into the eyes of his friend's parents. Not to mention reliving the crash in his mind over and over again.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the kid should get vehicular manslaughter charges because he was instigating, or participating, in reckless driving which ultimately led to another person's death. There was a similar case involving a state trooper who lived near me. He was chasing a suspect on a crotch rocket when his tire blew out and he lost control, crashed, and died. You're telling me the driver of the bike shouldn't be held at least partly responsible for his death? Anyway, the guy got 30 years.

I'm just saying people should be held accountable for their actions, especially when it involves the injury or death of another person due to gross negligence.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
If I provide a means for someone to get completely trashed at my house, then allow them to leave without trying to stop them and they kill themselves in a crash, the law can find me partially responsible in thier death.
The 18yo didn't provide the means for this kid to race, his parents did by handing him the keys (and I'd bet dollars to donuts that he was on their insurance policy). The worst that I could see would be incitement, or something along those lines...

Lets face it, though, we have a 16yo with a BMW, and an 18yo with a tC, and both go to the same school. My guess is that area is LOADED with $$, and mommy and daddy will hire a good lawyer who will punch lots of holes in the DA's argument that this 18yo was somehow responsible for another kid speeding and loosing control. This is all a big show by the police to seem like they're "really cracking down", but after the media leaves and the county really has to try this 18yo kid, it'll get plea-bargained down to reckless endangerment or something similar, and he'll get probation.

Quick Reply: tC driver arrested and charged: Homicide