Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Tc Hydrolic Clutch...I don't like it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Tc Hydrolic Clutch...I don't like it!

Its just TOO lite! It goes rite down to the floor with no resistance and just pops back up the same way. Its a pain to let the clutch out slow, cuz you can't get a feel for it...Its so indirect feeling.Often it feels like a guessing game over when the clutch is going to engage/disengage. Did they make it superlite clutch so women (and less muscular men could drive it? I hate how they try to use all the new unproven technology (drive by wire) and it just ends up screwing things up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Unproven? Not by a long shot. Learn to drive it and it will be fine. Complain much?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

^^^

Scott
Old 01-14-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you must not have any feelings left in your left leg if you cant tell when the clutch is engaging and not...
Old 01-14-2006, 06:34 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i think it has pretty good clutch feel, alittle to long of pedal travel. but deffinetly easy in traffic
Old 01-14-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is lighter than I'm used to, and I'll admit, I stalled it a few times at first. It just takes getting used to though. Now I can shift it no problems.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Perfect Clutch feel for me.... Love the setup....

Haven't ever heard this complaint before.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The stock clutch setup is GARBAGE period . If you like the feel of the stock clutch then you have never driven a car with a real clutch in it. The clutch starts sliping the minute you add a few power mods to the car. I've been driving stick since I started driving over 17 years ago. I upgraded my clutch and flywheel on my TC 3 weeks after I got it, because I just couldn't take it anymore. Put a real clutch in the car and you'll be happy again. It has notyhing to do with the hydrolic setup. The damn pedal is just WAY TO SOFT. You can argue all you want. The truth is the truth. I rest my case .
Old 01-14-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fly by wire unproven tech? OKAY WUT EVER U SAY BUDDY
Old 01-14-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sheesh. I've always despised cable clutches. I've loved hydraulic clutches since my first -- on a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
Unproven? Not by a long shot. Learn to drive it and it will be fine. Complain much?
Thanks gramps...but chances are I've been driving the car longer than YOU. I got the car in november 2004! I have 25,000 miles on it. Before the tc, I have a 5spd 93 mazda protege (cable clutch and throttle body) MUCH MUCH more direct feeling while shifting. Also, I worked at a Getty station for 2 years, so I've driven practically every make/model (almost) and NEVER felt a clutch like the tc's

I CAN drive it, its just a PITA most of the time.

PS. THe dealership solved my squeaky clutch problem by lubing the hell out of the whole assembly. Now it doesn't squeak, but its even lighter/easier than before. The bottom line...YOU GET NO FEEDBACK FROM EITHER THE GAS OR CLUTCH PEDAL.

and I hate people who act like the tc is the best thing since sliced bread! Its a nice car...still MANY MANY kinks to work out before its "quality" though. Just read the consumer reports article..."First year reliability has been average"
Old 01-14-2006, 10:09 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hmm.... well... i've had a tC since sept of '04.... it sucks at first, but you learn to deal with it and get around it. i have a much better idea of what to do to get the car responding the way i want now. sorry you're having such trouble and complaints... and also since the car's been only out for 2 years... it's reliability over a long period of time can't be determined yet, nor has every single "kink" been worked out... but i am planning on having this vehicle for a long, long time.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheTC
Thanks gramps...but chances are I've been driving the car longer than YOU. and I hate people who act like the tc is the best thing since sliced bread! Its a nice car...still MANY MANY kinks to work out before its "quality" though. Just read the consumer reports article..."First year reliability has been average"
Dude, grow the eff up already. Someone 42 with a lot of experience is "gramps"?
What kind of snot-nosed little ***** are you anyway?
Nobody here since my finding this place has ever stated the tC is perfect. Certainly, Scott did not.
Everyone has an a$$hole and an opinion. If you think your "vast" knowledge of things automotive is superior to Scott', then you smoke better $hit than anyone I know.

Scott (another old bastard SCION owner)
Old 01-15-2006, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone else's clutch have like 1inch free play? I step on the clutch and there is no resistance for about an inch. Do I need to get this adjusted? Help plz.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:38 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by slboettcher
Originally Posted by TheTC
Thanks gramps...but chances are I've been driving the car longer than YOU. and I hate people who act like the tc is the best thing since sliced bread! Its a nice car...still MANY MANY kinks to work out before its "quality" though. Just read the consumer reports article..."First year reliability has been average"
Dude, grow the eff up already. Someone 42 with a lot of experience is "gramps"?
What kind of snot-nosed little ***** are you anyway?
Nobody here since my finding this place has ever stated the tC is perfect. Certainly, Scott did not.
Everyone has an a$$hole and an opinion. If you think your "vast" knowledge of things automotive is superior to Scott', then you smoke better $hit than anyone I know.

Scott (another old bastard SCION owner)
Someone who is 42 should be driving something nicer than a scion!! and shouldn't be spending time lounging around on internet forums....

What kind of snot nosed ***** am I? Just call me audiobahntc...

I have a respectable (not vast) knowledge of all things automotive...but I bet I smoke better ____ than anyone u know..esepciallly cuz You live in a retirement home.

I agree with SQUALLHEART just about word for word...I've gotten "used to" it, but I'm still not HAPPY with it. Isn't this america? can I not desent against the trend of thinking tc's are mini G35s?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I hate the clutch and the throttle by wire. Clutch is to soft but it is a budget car... the tbw system is so laggy and crappy... again a budget car... BMW has the throttle by wire down... Anyways it does take some getting used to. Drive my track car with a real clutch and cable throttle and WOOHOO! Then I go back to the scion and have to figure out how to drive again haha,.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Munch
The damn pedal is just WAY TO SOFT.
I'm not saying that it's not.. but after I drive my friend's Mazda Protege5 for a little bit and I get in my car, I feel like I have to press enormously on mine to just step on it.. if ours is soft, then that Mazda is 10x worse...

the only complaint I have about the clutch (pedal) is that it squeaks like a ****... the dealer replaced the assembly supposedly but the next day, the exact problem happened continued...

-Emo
Old 01-15-2006, 06:38 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Emo
Originally Posted by Munch
The damn pedal is just WAY TO SOFT.
I'm not saying that it's not.. but after I drive my friend's Mazda Protege5 for a little bit and I get in my car, I feel like I have to press enormously on mine to just step on it.. if ours is soft, then that Mazda is 10x worse...

the only complaint I have about the clutch (pedal) is that it squeaks like a ****... the dealer replaced the assembly supposedly but the next day, the exact problem happened continued...

-Emo
EMO-I've had the squeaky clutch problem to the dealer no less than 10x. A few times they lubed the rod at the master pivot, but that didn't work. A few times they told me thy couldn't recreate the noise or couldn't figure it out. After hounding/pestering the heck out of them, I think they finally just lubed the S_H-*_T out of the whole assembly...NO more squeak/creak. But I can def feel the lube effect on the assembly. feels real loose. And again, its just so hard to gradually let it out.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by desertheat
I hate the clutch and the throttle by wire. Clutch is to soft but it is a budget car... the tbw system is so laggy and crappy... again a budget car... BMW has the throttle by wire down... Anyways it does take some getting used to. Drive my track car with a real clutch and cable throttle and WOOHOO! Then I go back to the scion and have to figure out how to drive again haha,.
Good post. haha, I feel like i have to re-learn the clutch/drive-by-wire almost every time I drive the car, SOmetimes I have more luck than others
Old 01-15-2006, 01:42 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This entire argument is OPINION based. No one on here can say that the other is right or wrong about the clutch feel.

When the word feel is used, its all personal preference and personal interpretation.

Quick Reply: Tc Hydrolic Clutch...I don't like it!