Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

I'm banking on a ~17k tC... I have no sales tax in OR... my bad

but, there are good points there...

Just don't discount the tC off the line...

There are both great cars, but I'd much more enjoy the tC uniquely modded, than the base RSX-S
Old 09-12-2006, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres no sales tax in OR? dammit. hahaha lucky! ok then again nevada has nearly no other taxes... anyway.

tc off the line is great. when i race my friend in his civic with a b16 swap, i take him like nothing off the line. but he overtakes me in about 5 seconds and keeps pulling. people who dis a good vtec motor for just having no torque are ignorant. not to mention, that max torque is made early, and holds through rpms.

anyway, i also like my tc. i wouldnt get rid of it :D too much sweat and blood, too. and yes i have bled on the damn thing. haha
Old 09-12-2006, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i say even if u can get the normal rsx.. u should get it.. this is the last year they are in for production.. no more rsx or even rsx-s in 2007.. from what i have heard.. my gf has it and its sweet.. makes me wanna buy a type s but too much$$.. i am looking for may be an 06 xb or an 03 accord not sur ewhat to get..
Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

threadstarter simply asks which car he should get for the same price. new tC or used rsx-s. i say the s, because of their potential in the motor is more inferior in my opinion. as for looks, all preference my friend
My point is that with less investment than the RSX-S stock, you can have a tC that will go head to head no problem, and in my opinion, be a sleeker and more featured car...
from what i've known, a tC needs to be f/i or internally modify the engine block to beat a stock type-s (with equal drivers of course)
Old 09-12-2006, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member

Wat year is the rsx - s?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hunterUnknown
Originally Posted by R2D2
RSXaco: You forget the FACT that the type-s costs MORE (new).
Once you factor that cost and have put it into your tC, you'd already have a smoking~fast tC. As WeDriveScions mentioned: 28,000 dollars modded... tC at 21,000 modded.

ljbetances (the initial poster): why u even considering getting a used car???
Comparing a new vs used car in general is inconsistent just because of so many variables (specifically on the condition of the used car - who REALLY knows?).
Well, if you "must" consider "used" cars I'd MUCH rather get something other than a RSX-s...
Something I'd MUCH RATHER have would be more along the lines of NSX or Supra (used). Think about it.
i think to begin with he said the rsx-s was used, no? so it all depends on the price.

also, i dont know any smoking fast tc for $21,000. with tax alone you hit around $19. so wheres that 2 grand going? if you said... $23000, then you could say okay, fairly nice turbo kit. but suspension is still no match for the rsx-s, and weight makes it worse. so lets put in some more money for a good set of shocks/springs/coilovers. what are we around now? $25000? give or take 500.

so lets then say you hada used rsx-s. depending on the year, could be from $15-$19. already has a 6-spd. already nice suspension. 200hp vtec motor. lightweight. put in 5k for a complete turbo. whip a tc, as the motor will run more than likely more hp more reliably, as the motors are built for higher compression to begin with, and higher rpms. this is undeniable. and i hope nobody says some bs about torque, because thats only going to work off the line. most hondas dont win off the line, but a few seconds later.

so again, for price/performance...

used rsx-s > new/used tc
new rsx-s < new/used tc

and... NSX OR SUPRA? haha are you growing money for the nsx? ;] or have you found a seller of a decent supra? i saw a pig fly the other day! it was awesome. im just teasing.
First of all, I've seen NSX's selling within the $25K+/- mark (given it is the older gen, but shiet it'll still smoke ur rsx-s no doubt)... Same goes for the Supra ($25K+/-) with a Turbo.
Don't believe me? Try Kelly blue book ('92 and older + it's @ retail $)... Still don't believe me?? Okay........Looky here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...24781114QQrdZ1
How NOT surprised I am... Anyways, for me atleast ~ I'd rather have an NSX or Supra over an RSX-s anyday...specially when comparing available USED cars.
From a scientific perspective, when you make a comparison both need to be evenly balanced (i.e. if u do one thing to one, u've got to do the same or equivalent to the other). You can't compare a USED car to a NEW and say they're both equal, it just doesn't make sense. NEW for NEW or USED for USED.
Now about NEW cars: When i meant Smoking Fast tC, I meant one valued the SAME as a modded RSX-s (@ the est. $28K) NEW (Oh ya, good luck dumping a turbo on a NEW RSX-s for $28K).
It's easy for one to say the RSX-s is faster when it costs $28K and a tC that costs $18K. That's a ton of extra $$$$$ u've spent on ur RSX-s add the extra $ into a tC and you WILL get spanked badly.

For the sake of this topic, let's just say it ALL depends on what the individual wants ~ A NEW car or a USED one.

There's no doubt in my mind we're gonna be going in circles over this debate, so let's just say for $23K u have fun with ur RSX-s while I take the checkered flag in my NSX or Supra. =)
Old 09-12-2006, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

before you gloat about a supra or an nsx, i said i was just teasing. i wasnt serious. and they're entirely different kinds of cars compared to fwd sport compacts, so yeah have fun with that checkered flag :D

i'm not sure if getting a brand new tC or a used rsx-s?
the question is indeed between a USED rsx-s and a NEW tc. so i did exactly that comparison. assumptions have to be made like... their cost is similar. so thus, i think i can compare the two and how best to compare them aside from looks than a price/performance sort of thing?

if the question wasnt in the bounds of used rsx-s and new tc, you'd be right. but performance in every way goes to the rsx-s used.

if you read my entire original post, you'd have read...

used rsx-s > new/used tc
new rsx-s < new/used tc
which magically happens to state both of our points.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

used rsx-s > new/used tc
new rsx-s < new/used tc
^

I'd like to add: used NSX > used RSX-s

Pound for pound comparison (RSX-s vs. tc), I'd dissagree with you and say the tC would win.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NotoriousZIB
Wat year is the rsx - s?
i would assume he would be looking into the 02-04 models
i highly doubt that he would get a 05-06 at the price of a new tC unless it is heavily damage.

for threadstarter, i would consider looking into the cost of owning a type-s. our cars use premium gas ONLY, insurance is quite higher, and our 6-speed transmissions are notorious for gear grinding, which i have yet to experience (knocks on wood*) other than that i love my car. my cousin that owns the tC would love to have a type-s over his own car but the affordability is out of his range.
good luck on your choice
Old 09-13-2006, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

RSX type S > tC
Old 09-13-2006, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

used rsx-s > new/used tc
new rsx-s < new/used tc
^

I'd like to add: used NSX > used RSX-s

Pound for pound comparison (RSX-s vs. tc), I'd dissagree with you and say the tC would win.
are you just trying to fuel the fire or what? :D or is there justification there?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i have been mostly quite around this forum, but this is one thread i am extremely interested in.

the rsx-s and the tC actually arent that different. i have raced a few type s's and we have been pretty even.(stock (i have axelback trd) vs. stock) i say they are both equal in performance in a straight line. torque doesnt only mean off the line power. the difference in weight is only about 65 pounds dry weight. im actually going to test drive a type-s just to see the difference.

what i would say is to test drive both. in my eyes, one is not nesecerily better than the other.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I love my tC... and modding it is much more fullfilling than those of my friends... with their RSX-S's... I'm more unique, more respected for the time/mods I've put in the car, and have spent much less on the complete setup than my friends with their S's.

It's all opinion and preference... I, for one, love being outside the Honda world... and respect the S, just see my tC as a very thankful choice.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, lets base the comparison on equal terms.
Kelly Blue Book (KBB) on both 2006 Models:

-----------------------

Scion tC: $20,470

-----------------------

Acura RSX Type S: $25,505

-----------------------
Anyone can argue more or else money specially since I ACTUALLY paid less for a BRAND NEW tC than what KBB offers for the used version (@ $19.5K out the door), but for analysis sake I'm specifically basing this data off of KBB.
Now for proper arguments sake, for $5035 ($25505 - $20470 = $5035) is it possible to make the tC faster than a "stock" type-s???
Bet ur @$$ u can!
your justification is in the math (which i even gave the type-s a slight advantage, AND it still comes up short)
Old 09-13-2006, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ Here we go again.... LoL

Just read my last post and leave it at that...

Old 09-13-2006, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

-----------------------

-----------------------

-----------------------
Anyone can argue more or else money specially since I ACTUALLY paid less for a BRAND NEW tC than what KBB offers for the used version (@ $19.5K out the door), but for analysis sake I'm specifically basing this data off of KBB.
Now for proper arguments sake, for $5035 ($25505 - $20470 = $5035) is it possible to make the tC faster than a "stock" type-s???
Bet ur @$$ u can!
your justification is in the math (which i even gave the type-s a slight advantage, AND it still comes up short)
if you note in my post, i BOLDED the word USED because you clearly show you dont read the finer details unless they're your own.

and also, the s gets 0-60 around 6.7 apparently and 15.2 quarter mile. doable by a tc in quarter mile terms, but def. not 0-60 haha and the s is 200 lbs lighter.

so for the third time now, for price/performance...

used rsx-s > new/used tc
new rsx-s < new/used tc
Old 09-13-2006, 09:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The RSX-S has build problems. Nothing major, but little things like the hatch back, doors and etc. I'd be very wary of a used one.
Your best bet would be a tC. Your not take'n on the past owners abuse.
If the RSX-S is be'n sold thru a Acura dealership as a certified used car that would be the way to go if ya want one.

Ya might consider a Celica GT-S also. Its not as fast off the line as a RSX-S but not by much, like a 10th or so. Battles between the GT-S and RSX-S usually come down to the driver.
Besides, the Celie is better look'n.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

-----------------------

-----------------------

-----------------------
Bet ur @$$ u can!
please stop comparing the price and speed of these two cars in relation to each other. if i wanted price for the speed i would have gotten a bike or an srt-4. both faster than a stock s and close to the price of a tC. other things come into consideration when purchasing a car (remember) some perfer leather seats (which i don't), the brand name, saftey, reliability, and the style.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Danger_Darren
ok i have been mostly quite around this forum, but this is one thread i am extremely interested in.

the rsx-s and the tC actually arent that different. i have raced a few type s's and we have been pretty even.(stock (i have axelback trd) vs. stock) i say they are both equal in performance in a straight line. torque doesnt only mean off the line power. the difference in weight is only about 65 pounds dry weight. im actually going to test drive a type-s just to see the difference.

what i would say is to test drive both. in my eyes, one is not nesecerily better than the other.
i know its possible for you to beat a type-s so i'm not denying you at all. but with equal drivers and conditions, the type-s should always win. i've drove my cousin's tC quite a bit before i got my s, once in second the s pulls. on rolls, no chance with a worst outcome. track times between the 2 stock cars has quite a gap. heck, there is even a thread about it here in the N/A section asking "i want to stay n/a, how can i beat a stock type-s" scion owners would reply with unuseful smart remarks, and other say to go f/i. test drive one and let us know, and what year.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

RSXaco: You forget the FACT that the type-s costs MORE (new).
Once you factor that cost and have put it into your tC, you'd already have a smoking~fast tC. As WeDriveScions mentioned: 28,000 dollars modded... tC at 21,000 modded.

ljbetances (the initial poster): why u even considering getting a used car???
Comparing a new vs used car in general is inconsistent just because of so many variables (specifically on the condition of the used car - who REALLY knows?).
Well, if you "must" consider "used" cars I'd MUCH rather get something other than a RSX-s...
Something I'd MUCH RATHER have would be more along the lines of NSX or Supra (used). Think about it.
i think to begin with he said the rsx-s was used, no? so it all depends on the price.

also, i dont know any smoking fast tc for $21,000. with tax alone you hit around $19. so wheres that 2 grand going? if you said... $23000, then you could say okay, fairly nice turbo kit. but suspension is still no match for the rsx-s, and weight makes it worse. so lets put in some more money for a good set of shocks/springs/coilovers. what are we around now? $25000? give or take 500.

so lets then say you hada used rsx-s. depending on the year, could be from $15-$19. already has a 6-spd. already nice suspension. 200hp vtec motor. lightweight. put in 5k for a complete turbo. whip a tc, as the motor will run more than likely more hp more reliably, as the motors are built for higher compression to begin with, and higher rpms. this is undeniable. and i hope nobody says some bs about torque, because thats only going to work off the line. most hondas dont win off the line, but a few seconds later.

so again, for price/performance...

used rsx-s > new/used tc
new rsx-s < new/used tc

and... NSX OR SUPRA? haha are you growing money for the nsx? ;] or have you found a seller of a decent supra? i saw a pig fly the other day! it was awesome. im just teasing.

the motor is built to run at a higher compression. Which means that you will need a complete rebuild to run a turbo. Vtec is made for NA setups and they are good at that, but in order to make it perform like a stage 1 tc, it will need to be boosted, which means it needs to be rebuilt with low compression components, which means $$$$$$. Have you ever looked at the cost of dropping compression on a k-series motor. It is not pretty at all. to do it right, to get it around 8.5:1 you are looking well over 2.5k, and that is the stock tC compression.t here we come.

Quick Reply: tc or rsx-s