Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC vs. Celica GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default tC vs. Celica GTS

Hey everyone I'm knew to thi site, just signed up . Anyways, I drive a (shocker) 2002 celica gts 6spd, and I'm sure at least some of you know that the tC is the celi's replacement, an they will stop production in a year or so. I've been thinking about tading it in for a tC. So I was wondering if any of you had the knowledge to compare the two cars. Don't give me the standard info like hp #'s an engine displacement, I've read about the car. I mean everything else. If anyone has driven a Celica GTS 6spd that'd be awesome, but whatever ya'll can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Torque all around compared to GTS. You don't need to rev the hell out of it to drive around town.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I've driven both. If I had to choose between them both brand new the tC wins hands down. It feels much better coming off the line. Another big thing is that you dont have to worry about landing in lift on your upshifts for optimum acceleration. There always seems to be enough torque on hand. I also fit alot better in the tC and I like the suspension better too. When the supercharger comes out I think people will all but forget the GTS existed!! My$.02~Dan
Old 07-19-2004, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a 00 Celi so I figure I could at least try to help you out here. The Celica, no mater how popular, is still just getting manufactures to make a few things for it. Don't get me wrong I know what's out there for the celi. (matter of fact if you belong to newcelica.org the 304 hp GT was mine, I sold it to Jason) The tC has a ton of manufactures jumping on board from the very beginning. Both cars are very workable it just depends on what you want to do. The Celica is way lighter but the tC is new and gives you the chance to "be the first to do it" kind of thing. Plus TRD, if your a fan of TRD, is coming out with plenty of things for the tC for the very begining. In 2000 TRD kept saying they were coming out with a supercharger. It's 2004 and as far as I know they keep showing it but they aren't selling it. That's just my opinion at this point with the celica getting ready to be extinct Id choose the tC.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member

Yea I am a member at nc.org, I've read post involving your the 300 hp celi (whp i think maybe?) but I don't know ur screename. My Celi is goin whether the tC is replacing it or not, but I'm really leaning towards getting the tC. I wasn't really looking at the consequence of the tC's weight vs the Celi's, but the fact that they're stopping production, the celi doesnt have nearly as much aftermarket support as the other imports (though I guess its gotta be that way for at least one brand but still...), and though I think lift is awesome the engine doesn't have that much potential. BUT yea, like you said, the tC is new, will certaintly have at the least the same aftermarket support the celi had, and its got the 2.4 liter. The car just has more potential to me, especially in the long run. Thanks for that input tho. Do you have a tC now (since your sn is tc an your on this board)?
Old 07-19-2004, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My sn on nc.org was VaperzTuboCeli. If I knew how to post pics on here I would post pics for you.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry forgot about the second part. I drove a tC and ordered one with the side air bags. It is supposed to be in today but I haven't heard anything and both of the guys I dealt with are off today. Im probably going to get the run around like everyone else.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member

5spd?
Old 07-19-2004, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea 5spd
Old 07-19-2004, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member

Well for a everyday car, the tC is a much better machine. Plenty of torque for around town. as good as the GTS is i have to agree that there arent a lot of parts out for it when compare w/ other cars. The tC has a lot of potential engine wise and we can all see that many aftermarket parts r already being offer. It'll be tough for the tC to match the GTS in handling however, considering how much heavier the tC is. nothing is impossible though. so who knos.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is true. The Celica is still gaining popularity with the aftermarket. Since Tein is coming on board with stuff, and maybe with a few weight reduction items, who knows.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...&highlight=gts

Found this when I did a search. Found a bunch of other things too when i typed in gt-s. Might find some good info when you do a search.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i had a '00 GTS. if i still had it i would have traded it in on a tC. the tC is a much better car. more torgue = better city driving, no need to rev the hell out of it, and quieter ride. you can actually use the back seats in the tC. (don't know if that matters to you) go with the tC.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used the backseat of my Celi. I just had an a$$ print on the back window for a few days. HA HA
Old 07-19-2004, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

I agree, the tC has way more potential, and not only that, it is much cheaper hence you can use the extra money to upgrade it almost as instantly as you get it. I love my leased GT-S and I've had it for about 2.5 years. I've driven the hell out of it (within the milage restriction) and the GT-S is definately a great car.

P.S. The compression ratio on the tC allows for much more room for upgrades than the GT-S, my $0.02
Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hate to agree with everyone, because i think the celica is a very underated car( it's a toyota not a honda, so everyone thinks its junk). but, i think the tc platform has a lot of potential for more reasons than the enormous engine size. the suspension setup is awesome. there's a bunch of room in the engine bay. those are my reasons to say i'd go with the tc over the celica. but, i must say, from a performance standpoint i don't like the all glass roof (i like it from a coolness standpoint though ).
Old 07-20-2004, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member

If I had a choice between the two on a mountain road with no traffic, I would take the Celica hands down. But I don't live up in the mountains, and in Tampa there are very few areas one can really rev up to 8000RPM on the daily commute.

Stock for stock the Celica is going to feel more nimble , faster, and overall sporty. However, with a TRD supercharger, TRD Springs/Struts, and a rear sway bar the tC should be able to suprass it , while still staying under the GTS' base price.

As far as driving comfort, convience, luxury, and features go, well the tC is a baby Lexus and wins hands down.