Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC vs. Mazda GT AGAIN!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I came from haveing a 2002 Mazada Protege 5 to haveing the tC. I realy loved my P5, but was wanting a change. I didn't need all the space realy and wanted a new car I could start new with and have a little fun. Both are great cars and the P5 was a first year car too, but I didn't like the new design of the Ms, love the M6 sedans though. I was actualy looking at sedans to get and finaly test drove the tC just to check it out. Fell in love with it that day and just waited for them to bring in a MT to test drive. Did so and ordered mine on the spot. So my advice is drive both, think abut what you want with the car. Than decide after that.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vAnt
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=457400

Most of the arguments you can come up with these two cars are in that post

The Focus that will be sharing the same platform as the Mazda 3 is not in production yet. They are not based on each other, rather they are all based off of one platform that Ford/Mazda/Volvo developed together.

- price wise, i just went and configured both cars with matching standard/base accessories. the mazda, retail, is going to cost you ~$1,900 more, but also consider, there is much more "play" with mazda dealerships getting to come down on the cost vs. scion dealerships.

but like most people will tell you, they are NOT the same car. same price range, yes, but not the same car and built for different people. consider what is MOST important to you (ie 4 doors vs 2 doors, cargo room, specific options, etc) and make your final decision.
Finally someone is on the ball, has there facts straight!
Does anyone here read the WSJ?
In the early to mid ninties the big three went on a buying spree picking up percentages of other car maker's stock to help better facilitate joint ventures. i.e. the entire Geo brand line, Mazda B-series truck and related products as well as probe/mx6/626, Nissan quest/Mercury villager, and ALL diamond star products.
I know they all bought part of eachother then and later in 2001 ford bought more of mazda(~60% but don't quote that) All this info is public domain and accessable to anyone if you know where to look.
that being said I'm geting in my tc and getting groceries(no I'm not high ru?)

Very true... And with the money you haggle and save each year with gas milage... It is even closer then you think.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RacerZack
OK, being a 4-hour old tC owner and longtime Mazda owner, I think I can be fairly unbiased here. I just chose the tC over a Mazda3 and yet I really still have my "heart" in the Mazda camp (despite the electrical fit my Miata is giving me, forcing me to leave it at the Toyota dealer.... grrrr)

First of all, the Mazda3 is NOT a Ford. It is also NOT a reskinned Volvo. Where do you guys get this propoganda? The Mazda3 is an all-new design straight from Hiroshima with help from Mazda USA in Irvine, CA.
The underlying platform is shared by Mazda and Ford, jointly developed. There may be some parts-bin raiding but the 3 was made by Mazda engineers, not Ford.

That said, the posted numbers for the Mazda3 vs. tC are kinda wrong. The two cars are basically the same in performance. In fact, some testing I've seen puts the Mazda3 0.1 second faster on the 0-60 and 1mph faster with the same time on the quarter mile.
Agreed, the Mazda may have better handling stock for stock too.

The same is true for reliability. While Toyota always beats Mazda on quality, the Scion line has come out rather poor. I hesitated buying the Scion because its initial ratings were very "off" from Toyota. As much as my boyfriend loves his Lexus and swears by all of Toyota's stuff, he even said "Scion has some bugs to work out." This coming from a man who nearly has a shrine to Toyota. LOL.
Don't go by JD Power. If you research more into the initial ratings, you'll come to find that Scion owners complain alot about minor things. Wind noise at 80+mph, need more power (read the sticker on the car b4 you buy damn it), etc.

However, Mazda's reliability is not equivalent to Ford. Just because Ford has a financial stake in Mazda is not to mean that Mazdas are suddenly being built by Teamsters at River Rouge! The only Mazdas which would "be" Fords are those built in the U.S. and rebadged (Tribute = Escape, B-Series = Ranger). None of Mazda's passenger cars are Ford rebadges.
There are some sharing of parts to save money but for the most part, Mazda cars are their own creation, not Fords. The tC is put together with parts from many Toyota cars with very little original content.

In fact, the Mazda-developed Mazda6 platform is being adopted by Ford and other subsidiaries for future products. While I am digressing a moment, where did anyone get the idea that Ford owns 45% of Nissan? OMG! *eyeroll* Nissan is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Peugeot now. Ford NEVER owned any of Nissan. And GM doesn't "own" any of Toyota; it has entered into shared-development agreements and may own a small percentage of stock as part of that deal. And there are no Honda engines in Saturns. But this isn't about all of that...

As many people have said, the two cars are in a similar price range but are designed for very different drivers. No 4-door sedan is going to be the "same" as a 2-door hatchback. Me, I prefer the hatchback design and more sporting appearance of the tC. I feel like a complete adulterer for buying something other than a Mazda (the Miata was my first car, new in 1994 and now 215k miles and many, many, many mods later...). But when push came to shove, the Mazda3 didn't excite me like the Scion tC does. If I could have afforded it, I'd have gone with the hatchback Mazda6 in Lapis Blue. But, alas, that was not meant to be.

I'm a Mazda Boy but I love my Scion tC. The Miata gets the garage, but its "little brother" Scion is going to be my daily driver.

That said, as well as noted by the OP, the tC is the better value once you add up everything and come up with your out-the-door price. More features, friendlier price, better(can be argued) dealership/service network makes the tC a better buy. In socal, the Mazda dealer at the end of my block is still selling their Mazda3 S Hatch for $20,100, and that's without Navi. Jee, I wonder why I picked the tC...
Old 02-08-2005, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...And there are no Honda engines in Saturns...
Why do people speak before doing any research?

Correction. All new Saturn 3.5L VUE's have Honda engines. Read the article.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
Old 02-08-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the S40, V50, M3, Focus II all share the same platform, The Focus II is already on sale in Europe, and has been selling for a while, Ford just wants to dump Focus 1 on America, a common practice BTW. But the M3, Focus are not just skinned Volvo's, a Volvo uses far more and far higher quality steel as well as the Volvo power train, Volvo WIPS seats, Volvo sound system, Volvo, interior. I am a Volvo owner and just because the same machines and the same line can make both cars, does not mean it is only the "skin".

I for one never like Mazdas, I feel that the parts are just cheap, the struts for instance seem to die quickly while Toyota struts can go an easy 100,000 miles and still have some damping left, I did not say the strut will fly out of the car, I just saying it is not upto snuff. Same goes for the engine, I've know 200,000 mile toyota engines that can still perform, not just go down the street. while I find Mazda engines have exhaust problems like cracked manifold, rusting parts. In fact I just fixed a girl's Mazda (6 years old) that the rubber intake bellows cracked in 1/2 and the car died. I've never seen this every even on ancient GM cars. Same car had head light lenses that were all fogged, the same way cheap Neon ones get fogged out, I've never seen it happen on a Toyota.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default VVT does not equal VVT-I

Correction:
VVT is not the "same difference as VVT-I" VVT-I is a constantly variable form of variable valve timing. The -i does mean something.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
...And there are no Honda engines in Saturns...
Why do people speak before doing any research?

Correction. All new Saturn 3.5L VUE's have Honda engines. Read the article.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
OK, I stand corrected. However, it's worthy of note that the VUE is a new product and not entirely the same as the rest of Saturn's line. It's only the 3.5L VUE with a Honda engine, at that -- not all VUEs.

So you didn't have to be snippy.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by oldman
the S40, V50, M3, Focus II all share the same platform,
Nonetheless, the platform is Mazda designed. It appeared first on the Mazda3.

Originally Posted by oldman
I for one never like Mazdas, I feel that the parts are just cheap,
This is just anecdotal experience. I posted on myspace.com about my new Scion and one of my friends replies "Toyota!? Why would you get a p.o.s. from Toyota? I had a Toyota and the engine blew up!"

Of course, he didn't bother to provide any details... and he is a known BMW snob. Nonetheless, he did have a Toyota which blew an engine. One of my ex-girlfriends had a 1st gen MR2 which was constantly in the shop. My Miata has 215k miles on it and I know of some which are going strong at close to 300k miles. But I also know of RX-7s which barely make it to 50,000 miles before going to the Great Road in the Sky.

Every manufacturer has high and low points in both production and model design. Rather than paint each company with the broad-brush of it's worst (or best) product, we should look at each machine as an individual item and judge its merits accordingly. Should General Motors forever be judged by the Cimarron? Or would it be fair to say all Mazdas are as solid as the Miata? Of course not.

So, we all have a Scion here and love it. All Scions are new, so there's no way to know how their particular blend of Toyota parts will hold up over time. My initial impression is that the tC is a solid car and will last for years. (Well, maybe not the flimsy plastic door which hides the radio.)

Is the tC a better car than the Mazda3? No. And the Mazda3 is not a better car than the tC. They are cars who have similar -- but not identical -- purposes in life. Both have merits and both have detractors. We pick the one we think will best suit our taste and needs.

Can't we all just get along? LOL!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't mean to be a party pooper here but since when is the tC available in Canada? I thought it was US only?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member

Personally I would be driving a Mazda 3 had I not gone with the tC.. and I probably will end up getting a M3 in a couple years. I think they're beautiful cars and virtually the tC's equal in most all ways.

But I think the market and future trade value will be better for the tC in the long run.. Toyota traditionally hold their value alot better than Mazda do.

For now, I'm content with my tC.

This will be an ongoing debate for years to come..
Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member

I was certain to buy a Mazda6 but when I drove the 6i, I got one feeling PLAIN, PLAIN, PLAIN. All I could afford was the base model. I really like the styling of the car. Then I drove a 6s. Much better. Engine was more of what I was looking for but cost way too much. Across the street I saw a Toyota dealer. Walked over and noticed a TC. Test drove it and the rest is history. It really wasn't as zippy as the 6s but more than a 6i. Plus all the standards sold me. Never ever thought of a 3. Thought that was the focus, corolla competition.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC isn't really competition for a Mazda6 either... but you made the right decision. Muahaha.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i own a tC and i hate the low profile tires, you can feel every little bump in the road. None the less, i still love my tC. Mazda3 were my second option too!