Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC will not be a COMPELTE car without these factory options!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member

Mista3 thank you. We can both tell our Kwiksilver dude that in California folks need Navigation. Not sure where kwiksilver is though he/ may be she won' t say.. only know that he wait she is only in early 20s, probably really 17
Old 06-22-2005, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BOSE

Cant hear highs , cant hear lows GOT TO BE BOSE!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by spydersocal
Mista3 thank you. We can both tell our Kwiksilver dude that in California folks need Navigation. Not sure where kwiksilver is though he/ may be she won' t say.. only know that he wait she is only in early 20s, probably really 17
i'm 21, and in my edit i said that i live in california. and as far as being a "sniper" what would you like to know about me? i'll tell you. i just don't volunteer what is not necessary to be stated. the internet is a crazy place.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member

slimXB, I can only tell there is something wrong with your Bose or your ears.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member

Kwiksilver, you missed my point once again. This time, I am not going to hold you hand and giving you any clues either. If you really live in CA and still believe no Nav is needed then may be you should try to get out the house once awhile. Take it easy! I don't dislike you, at least you fought for youself and give it your best, I can respect that. Let's get the record straight, I love tC only wish it had other options. Not trying to put down your baby tC. OK? Wait let me try this Verizon line, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ok, this is just a problem between us, spydersocal, so i've messaged you instead of wasting more message board space. this is all off topic already.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

spydersocal: Here is the problem with offering the options you mentioned. The tC is a great value for the money: fact. Putting in new options like Xenon, navigation, etc, requires a research and development, and contracts with external companies (in most cases). Research and development, and products from other companies cost a lot of money: fact. Since Toyota prides itself on a high standard of quality and reliability, they could not cut corners on the tC to maintain the same base price and yet put in all the extra research into it. Why can Mazda do it? Compare quality of Toyota to Mazda. The defense rests.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reagulator
why dont you just get a mazda 3 then
I was thinking the same exact thing.....

Just to give you some insight, my girlfriend owns a Mazda3 and I drive it quite a bit.... the standard options on the Scion are pretty damn good.

And I don't know said it, but Scion wasn't aiming for the 33 year olds when they marketed this car. Buy a damn Lexus.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member

dmikon, my point is if they can offer all these options in competitor's car then Toyota can offer it. They just don't want to,at least for now. These are some pretty basic features on a car, in 2005 model year a number of inexpensive cars offer these types of options. Here's my take, Scion got a imagine to maintain. Toyota have all these research dollars already spent on other cars, for example, a number of tC parts are lifted from Lexus. Tires are exactly the same as IS300, roof glass is from RX330..and so on. Back to what I was saying, they decided not to offer leather, Nav and Xenon because it scares folks here who are VERY sensitive to pricing. Toyota thinks if they put these options on the list, the folks will think it's out of their range. I really think it's the imagine Scion is trying to put up, cost is a minor issue. If any of Scion executives read this forum they will see people spent thousands and thousands after they get the car to customize far further still. Trust me, the budget senstive folks here are all saving up for something, either the lower springs or super charger or tinted window or aftermarket leather..
Old 06-22-2005, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member

if i would have had to pay for all that BS, i would not have bought the car.

HID: i agree with you, as an option i would have thought hard about it. prolly still would have passed on it, but it would have been a nice option.

Leather: sucks to clean, sucks in hot weather, sucks in cold weather, and if the seats are not bolstered enough you slide around like crazy in them. i was also looking at the RSX type-S, but with no cloth option it was a huge negative.

Nav system: no way, no how. i got a laptop with streets and trips, it is so much more powerful than any nav system i have seen. and i can surf **** on my laptop, bonus.

BOSE: overpriced and overhyped. sounded mediocre at best in my A4, and the fact they use non-standard components like half ohm woofers means to upgrade every singe part of the stereo has to be removed, nothing can be reused.

my last car was an A4 and had leather and BOSE sound. i will prolly never own leather seats again, pure fashion with no function. and the pioneer in the tC sounds about equal to the BOSE in the A4 the only difference is that i can change the speakers in my tC without an aftermarket head unit.

not trying to give you a hard time, its just clear that you are not looking for an economy car, and thats what the tC is. we are talking about a sub $20k car here, its intended market cannot afford that stuff, and those that can will still get what they want in the aftermarket.

if it was offered as options, i would have no problem with it, but if all that stuff was standard, it would have cost as much as an RSX type-S and thats what i would have bought.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Boy, I think most of you guys missed the point I am trying to make. First of all, if I think tC is a cheap car like many of you referred your car to then I wouldn't call it a watered down lexus. Calling it a lexus is a complement not an insult. Some of you should stop calling this car cheap, it's far better than 90% cars on the road costing thousands more. And yes I get what you saying about Scion is supposed to be affordable and I agree they've done a wonderful job of keeping within reach of younger guys and gals. I GET IT really, but you didn't hear what I said. All these options I love to have are easily had in similar priced cars like Mazda, Hyndai etc. These options are NO big deals now, it was big deal a couple of years ago. I am not asking laser guided cruise or keyless entry (with keys in your pocket) anything that exotic.
Living in So Cal you need a navigation, leather are not expensive to offer. Plus when you buy several options from factory they are cheaper, only bimmer trying to rip you off. On this site the amount of mods I seen people do could easily top several thousand dollars more. Lastly, i didn't say add these option as standard and increase the price what I said was it would be nice to have the option to buy them if needed.
Again, don't get me wrong I've been through college and understand what budget is.

I only noticed tc missing few things that its direct competitior offers. Lastly, I have to say I have full time job schedule is always full so I won't have time to find out who installs what and what is compatible.. if they offer these option there will be no guessing games for buyers like me.

Take a look at German car, they can all be configured from very affordable to very expensive depending on one's preference. If Scion is truly about mods then they should put ALL options on the table for buyer to decide.

Again, this is not meant to put down tC. I wouldnt' be here if I didn't think this is an awesome car. And PLEASE don't call it cheap, correct term is good value for the money.
Seriously think about what you're saying and where you say it. I think you really stepped in it You learned what budget is in college? hmmm...
Old 06-22-2005, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back to what I was saying, they decided not to offer leather, Nav and Xenon because it scares folks here who are VERY sensitive to pricing. Toyota thinks if they put these options on the list, the folks will think it's out of their range. I really think it's the imagine Scion is trying to put up, cost is a minor issue. If any of Scion executives read this forum they will see people spent thousands and thousands after they get the car to customize far further still. Trust me, the budget senstive folks here are all saving up for something, either the lower springs or super charger or tinted window or aftermarket leather..
Proof? Making generalized statements (especially about the mindset of a multibillion dollar conglomerate) without supporting evidence is kinda like having a piece of pie without the filling: Sure it looks good, and might even be worth a nibble or two, but when you are done you are still feeling empty.

Trust you? I don't even know you.

Do I agree that they should have made these options available? Not really. Things like the navigation system, HIDs, and leather are things that are found on higher tier/more expensive cars. Those that really want it are going out and getting it.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member

Again, alots of bashers and haters. Why am I not surprised?

Also, this is not a CHEAP ECONOMY car. Folks here are so spoiled. Most would agree in order to start a new youth brand, Toyota release tC at thousands below market value. With few more standard features this car can easily sell in the mid 20K, or be put on a Lexus badge. Do you actually think the Merc C230 coupe is much better than tC. This is one of these RARE occassion where a company sell the car for less than what it is worth, this really explains why it has become a popular car. This is like a upscale coupe with some contents taken out so it can sell for a little as possible. Owner should feel lucky to own it, they stole this car at <20K. Go with Dodge Neon or GM or boring Civics so what you get for 20K, glass roof in your dream. Why dont you say hey this is an incredible car for the money, I love it and wish it had more cool options. Even though it may be under 20K, it essentially has the same strategy as MINI where options are endless.

Please try to relax, if you are need to be harsh this is not a forum for you. We are discussing issues here. I prefer not be dragged in to your dysfuncational family where shouting and screaming are routine.

mrbridge, don't take my comments so personally. Nobody care to get to know you. tC is where we talking here, if you don't have anything nice to say then go watch tv dude.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice to say? I said nothing that wasn't nice. I asked for proof that you knew how people/toyota thought. When I mentioned trust, it was because I wanted to know who you were to make like you have all the answers. I asked because I disagree with your statementx. I guess I wasn't clear.

Aside from the MBZ logo and a lil bits, the c230 isn't better than the tC.

To have those extras available as options or standards requires money. Money for research, money for testing. To have this super deal that we have before us, things had to be sacrificed. People now are doing these things as aftermarket additions with little trouble.

Bottom line:
Those that want it are going out and getting it.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with you on the HIDs, which is why I made a thread on it in the appropriate forum "Dear Scion" about it:
I think this is something everyone wishes came as an option on Scions, and some people are modifying their vehicles themselves to take HIDS. The problem is in the United States it is illegal to put HIDs on a vehicle that is not certified for them. Please offer HIDs as a factory option and get it certified, this would be an accessory well worth it- much more worth it than fog lights!

The xenon bulb provides more than twice the amount of light of a halogen bulb. While one consuming half the power(wattage). Therefore, the driver can see more clearly, and the car has more power for other functions .Moreover, it is environmentally friendly, as less power means less fuel consumption.

The clear white light produced by the xenon bulb is similar to daylight. Research has shown that this enables drivers to concentrate better.Furthermore, this particular light color reflects the road markings and sighs better that conventional lighting. In practical terms, the life span of the bulb is equal to that of the car, which means that bulb need only replaced in exceptional cases. Not only that, but it just looks cool! People know you have a quality car when they see you have HID headlights, the trouble is it blinds people if it is not setup correctly which is why Scions need to get certified and offer this as a factory option.
there is one reply:

I agree. Projectors and HID's would be a fine addition to the tC. I would love such an option to be available. It looks sweet on the Mazda3 and it would look sweeter on the tC. This should be a no brainer to Scion.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66972

Some people really like leather seats, I've had them and let me say they brn you and make you sweat through your clothes in the summer and feel like you're sitting on ice in the winter. I do believe there should be heated seats though, so I made a thread abot it in the appropriate forum, Dear Scion:

For those of us that live in cold weather heated seats really come in handy. The Ford Focus, Volkswagon Jetta, even Subaro, and many other carmakers offer these as an option. I'm going to have to go with atermarket because Scion doesn't. For vehicles whose claim to fame is that they are very customizable, not even offering heated seats is a bit of an embarrassment.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68488

Alloy Fuel Doors with an internal release level would be nice too, posted in the appropriate forum:

Whenever I see a vehicle with one of these I think "How cool!" Scion really should have it as a factory option. If it was opened by an internal fuel release switch from the driver's seat it would be even better. Any time the fuel door can be easily opened from the outside it becomes a security issue. Too many people run around putting stuff into other people's gas tanks and ruining their car or siphoning gas from it, a scion owner shouldn't have to worry about that.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67314

And blue dashboard backlighting, which I posted in the appropriate forum:

The Amber backlighting color on the current Scions are just plain ugly. Why even offer a blue or red under the dash lighting for a couple of hundred dollars if the dashboard is going to be a different color? Why offer a radio head unit that changes colors or is blue if the dashboard is just plain amber? Volkswagon Jettas and Mazda 3s come with blue dashboard lighting and it looks pretty good. Supposedly Volkswagon's blue is is the same blue used on airport runways, is easy to discern and very easy on the eyes. If people are tearing apart their dashboards and soldering in blue LEDs themselves to get the blue lighting, obviously people want this bad enough:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37747
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37729
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36206
When they do this themselves they risk damaging the guages or making them inaccurate, or making them less reliable, or causing a wiring problem which can start a fire which is not a good thing. Please make a better factory standard backlighting, or at least offer other colors as an option.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66978

the reply:

Already got mine. Looky how purdy....

Scion should give this as an option or just make it standard.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

spydersocal, those are just your thoughts.
tC is made for price & quality, those accessories are really not necessery
Old 06-22-2005, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member

slimXB, I can only tell there is something wrong with your Bose or your ears.
Bose is highly overrated and overpriced. Just go into any audiophile forum, and the consensus will always be that Bose sucks and is overpriced in almost any product of theirs.

-The Grinman :D
Old 06-22-2005, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cfusionpm, seriously is that your name? They are NOT the same. It's a complicated piece of gadget, trust youdon't want to be stuck with something that don't work. Go ask for a demo drive with TSX with nav and then come go trust the tiny portable nav at best buy and come back thank me..you don't want to spend $$$ i understand dude
i worked at a honda dealership for about 6 months. its the same nav system as in the accord (and similar to the ones in odyssey and pilot). yes, its a great system. no, i dont want to pay 2000$ for it.

oh, and as listed in my sig, my name is matt. nice to meet you
Old 06-22-2005, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member

I would also like to add that any options that Toyota could add would have to be either be installable at the port or the dealership. Adding it at the factory would only increase the overall cost of the vehicle by adding in other parts for the factory to process.

With a nav system in particular, I think it would it have to be a factory option if at all because of any type of added power consumption that the Nav system might add, and or any sort of adjustments to the dash itself to fit an integrated nav system.

One last thing, on a sort of different note, I haven't bought a Scion tC yet, but very close to buying one. It was between it and a Mazda 3, and one thing I absolutely hated about the Mazda 3 was the packages that you needed to buy to get some of the features I wanted. Like to get a sunroof, you had to get the 6 CD changer AND the 16" alloy wheels. Quite annoying.

-The Grinman :D
Old 06-22-2005, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a good question is how much would you pay for a Scion TC that came with factory leather, navigation, bose, and xenon lights? Once you add up those options, you might consider getting an Accord coupe or Solara with the same features for only 1 or 2 grand more. Then you dont have to worry about the stigma of driving a teenager car (which the sole reason why my 34 year old supervisor bought a 4 Runner instead).

Quick Reply: tC will not be a COMPELTE car without these factory options!