2005-2010 [ANT10]

TC windows in winter...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

We get freezing rain that'll sometimes get half an inch thick. On the hood, top, doors won't open until you run something down the crack to separate it from the rest of the car. (Never use your key, the scratches can be nasty...) Windows are wavy, transparent, glassy ice...
The best part is that when the car starts to warm up, it starts coming off in big pieces. Just don't get caught driving behind a big SUV when a huge piece comes flying off the top back at you...

As someone else said, I don't have this problem. My cars are parked inside at night, at home. It's a good way to keep it a little warmer, too. Good for a faster warm-up. The garage stays a good deal warmer than outside.

To the "topic"...ALL windows will freeze. Just remember that it's a good idea NOT to stress out the power window motor trying to move something that won't...I know it sux, but that's just the way it is.
Try doing your morning stretching OVER the window, out the door OR "behind" the window reaching back.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, I live in Wauwatosa WI (5 min from Milwaukee) and I've never had my windows freeze shut. They get fogged up and frosty but thats just wonderful WI weather. (BTW I park outside every night)
Old 02-26-2006, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GT4Dreams
Not as fun as running to your car on ice and it's below zero and you get in, start your engine, curl into a little ball and scream because you can't do anything about being cold!
yes u can just turn on ur heater.. duh
Old 02-26-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The heaters take a considerable amount of time to get hot air while you're freezing your ***** off lol
Old 02-19-2008, 01:39 AM

i know it's an old thread but I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with their windows not opening in the cold, but there is no ice on the window/it's not *that* cold (mid 20's)?

my rav4 never had any problems with window freezing, so I'm curious as to see if anyone else has seen the "window won't open, but it's not iced over/not that cold" problem. thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It happens to me almost everyday. The other day I went to the movies with my girl, car was outside for maybe 2 hours during the movie. Then we hopped in and went to the drive through at starbucks. Push the down button so i could order and... no go. Had to order and pay with the door open.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

at a 2 yr bump. But at least you searched! So for that. But still..2 years?!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_kevin
its never that cold around here for mine to freeze shut. ive never even heard of that happening.
glad i live in phoenix.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow I din't know how can even happen you colder places guys.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

move to florida.. it was a hot one today
Old 02-19-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you need to spray the window channel rubber weather stripping with silicone spray which will resist freezing.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 AM

Thanks guys. lol, I know digging up a 2 year old thread is bad form, but I kind of went into a panic mode when my windows wouldn't open, seeing how this is the only car I've had that's done that.

I'll try the silicone spray once my windows unfreeze. I just tried warming the car up for a solid 15-20 minutes and the windows still aren't opening. Hopefully once the sun rises, it'll unstick. It was just weird for it to freeze today (I think it only hit 25 degrees today), considering it was much colder a few days ago and the window opened fine then.

I live in an apartment complex with a gated lot, so I need to be able to open my window everyday to swipe in/out... otherwise having to open the door every morning/evening is going to be very annoying for the rest of this winter.

Again, thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey jawn-
no problem, yeah also spray some silicone onto a rag and apply it to the top edge of the window (glass), that should help it from not sticking too.

I've done that on the tC here in michigan and it's stopped it from freezing in place. There was one time, they did freeze in place, but that was the silicone spray only lasts about 6-10months.

so keep us posted
Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i was in PA last winter with the old tC and never had that problem. it was never garaged, either... so ???
Old 02-19-2008, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WHY do you want to roll your windows down in the winter????

I haven't rolled mine down since November!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe they just like the freezing, yet refreshing cold air ;)
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default windows

Yeah, in PA it's a common thing on alot of cars. What I do is run my finger along the bottom edge of the window to seperate the rubber from the window. Works everytime. Never tried the silicon, but would think that would get all over the window then.

jjp
Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, its happened to me a couple of times too. Just like someone said, there was no ice or snow on the windows and they still didnt open... Granted it was in the low to mid teens today.

But for those of you who have experienced this, have you ever noticed that when your window struggles to open (as in seeing it move up and down like maybe 2 mm but doesnt open) that the door's metal body panel flexes a little along the body line? Is this just me or does this happen to you guys too?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by MSG_tC
Yea, its happened to me a couple of times too. Just like someone said, there was no ice or snow on the windows and they still didnt open... Granted it was in the low to mid teens today.

But for those of you who have experienced this, have you ever noticed that when your window struggles to open (as in seeing it move up and down like maybe 2 mm but doesnt open) that the door's metal body panel flexes a little along the body line? Is this just me or does this happen to you guys too?
I noticed that too. And it freaked me out a little to see the entire door panel buckling in! I have a 2008 TC, and my drivers side window freezes up constantly, although the passenger side opens every time. The odd thing is, the window will be frozen in the morning, but in the evening, it will be just fine- even if the temperature never gets above freezing.

Another thing I noticed. Every time I lower the window completely, when I put it up, it comes up wet in the front corner. It does this even when there hasn't been any rain or snow for the past few days. Maybe it is this water, in the door itself, that is freezing the window up?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep it happens to me as well, but now i just go start the car, turn on the heat and the defogg and then in like 10 min im good to go, people may say its not true but i feel a diffrence in letting the VVTI warm up as well.

Quick Reply: TC windows in winter...