Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: tC Wiperblades "Drag" Along Windshield

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
Originally Posted by pixelinpink
Anybody's tC wiperblades "drag" along the windshield? Mine leave rubber tread marks and squeak loudly when they're in use, no matter what the precipitation. I've tried different brands but I still have the same problem.
I doubt putting more coatings on the windshield is going to help at this point.

What I suggest (As well as a tsb from toyota says the same thing) is to clean the windshield with a cleanser you can get at the grocery store called BON-AMI. It is a safe abrasive to use for glass and WILL NOT scratch glass. just make sure to use it with water, and scrub the windshield, then rinse. Your "skipping" of the blades should be gone after that.

I've noticed that the tC builds up residue quicker than other cars, might have something to do with the angle (it's a steeply inclined windshield). I have used BON-AMI on many cars and it does a great job of getting rid of grime and stuff that cause wiper blades to chatter and streak.

Let us know how it goes, I bet the problem goes away after you clean it with bon-ami. Also - Look into Bosch ICON wiper blades, great stuff, much better quality than I've seen from other manufacturers. But cleaning the surface will help the most!

Good advice above. Rain-X will collect oil from road spray and make wipers chatter after a few weeks, every time, and it's almost impossible to get off except as above. However I keep Rain-X in the trunk for emergencies when wipers break somehow.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks.. Yeah Bon-Ami works great, only thing I know of to get the windshield perfectly clean from grime, etc.

Hope the original poster will use Bon-Ami and let us know if the chattering stops
Old 03-18-2007, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member

So I ended up doing three things:
1) I got new wiper blades, to start. Got the Bosch Excel -- cost $33 after tax for the pair. They're pretty good. The noise level of the blades is noticeably less.
2) Got a car wash.
3) Adjusted the wiper blade bolts. The one on the longer arm was on there pretty tight and definitely helped to be loosened.