Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

the tc's highbeams are insanely BRIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member

Default the tc's highbeams are insanely BRIGHT

It's not even funny how much light these suckers output and how good of a driving light beam pattern it has.

The light output equals some of the best driving lights. Not to mention you can blind the hell out of people if you really need to, nice little surprise waiting for people who drive around with their highbeams on.

I am almost tempted enough to install 9005 HIDs into the high beams.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

we're all going to be an evil bunch of car owners with those HID brights installed!!!! :twisted:
Old 08-11-2004, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC has, by far, the best lights of any vehicle I've ever driven. I think most Japanese cars are notorious for bad headlights. In my experience, European cars have had the best. The tC's are great.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC's headlights are pretty bright, but I haven't seen them in anything other than photo's. I'd really like to compare them to the Infinity FX line (the SUV's)
Old 08-11-2004, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member

These HID lamp are after market, correct? Or are they OEM?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member

I'll have my low beam HIDs installed by the weekend, I'll post comparison shots with my S2000.

Probally even going to go ahead and order a highbeam kit just for the hell of it.

I am also working on a group buy.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the love of god people - don't blind other drivers. It's not quite and ____ing annoying, and dangerous. On the road I travel every night on my way back from work, being a 1 lane each way road, I always get at least one honda civic or something with HIDs that just blind me. I flash my brights at them (my brights blind any car), which is my way of saying "sucks doesn't it?"

I can't see a point in blinding people with HIDs, especially when your standard lights are just fine. My parent's have an RX-8. Driving that at night, the HIDs it has actually cut off at a certain angle, so people aren't blinded.

Do these HID kits you guys are buying have a cut off at a certain angle to prevent blinding people?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GrungeFactory
I'll have my low beam HIDs installed by the weekend, I'll post comparison shots with my S2000.

Probally even going to go ahead and order a highbeam kit just for the hell of it.

I am also working on a group buy.
brotha... i can tell u 100 reasons not to install HIDs on your tC. I got it on mine and hate it. prvt msg me if u want to know more. Rivulent is mostly right with his reasons...
Old 08-11-2004, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member

Most of those civics have H4 headlamps that have both the HIGH and low beam intergrated into the reflector. That is were 90% of the glare is coming from.

The TC's reflector on the other hand is low beam only and has a very sharp cutoff for a reflector. If you pull up to your garage and flip on the lights, you'll see the TC's cutoff is very similar to a projector lense. While it is not as sharp, it does it's job well.

Installed my friend's 9006 Philips kit in my car and had my cousin drive my car, while I drove his IS300. The glare isn't any worse than the IS300's factory reflector HIDs.

The ironic thing is... people are even complaining about factory HIDs beign too bright and producing glare. If people would learn NOT TO STARE AT THE HEADLIGHTS, it wouldn't be such an issue. This exact same thing happened when free form halogen bulbs first came out. People were complaining they were too bright, caused too much glare.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enkidu

brotha... i can tell u 100 reasons not to install HIDs on your tC. I got it on mine and hate it. prvt msg me if u want to know more. Rivulent is mostly right with his reasons...
Let me guess, you bought your HID kit off of ebay...

I installed my friend's Philips 9006 kit on my car just to see how the reflectors would work out and they worked perfect.

Wasting your money on those cheap kits, Rivulent can be right.

Invest in a quality kit, and you'll have great results. Chances are, if you hate your kit, whoever rebased the bulbs did a really poor job and chances are you wasted money on one of those high color temp kits i.e. 6000-8000k kits....

Buy a QUALITY (keyword: quality) Philips or Osram 4300k or 5000k kit and you'll get good results. Buy a kit off of ebay, buy a poor quality kit, spend less than $400, expect poor results.

----
Old 08-11-2004, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just my 02 cents i think they are good lights i would love to get hids for them
Old 08-11-2004, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me guess, you bought your HID kit off of ebay...

I installed my friend's Philips 9006 kit on my car just to see how the reflectors would work out and they worked perfect.

Wasting your money on those cheap kits, Rivulent can be right.

Invest in a quality kit, and you'll have great results. Chances are, if you hate your kit, whoever rebased the bulbs did a really poor job and chances are you wasted money on one of those high color temp kits i.e. 6000-8000k kits....

Buy a quality Philips or Osram 4300k or 5000k kit and you'll get good results.

----
Yes exactly... not ebay, but a 6000k kit. It does look pretty. Had to make a shield for because the tC reflectors spread light upwards way too much. Next week I'm retrofitting a projector with a friend and I hope it all works well, since it will be my first (not his tho). We r getting Hella or Valeo projectors and doing it right this time with 4100k bulbs. Will be posting pics in the future.

PS: I didn't like the philips kits either... didn't try it on the tC but saw it on a friend's civic.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy a QUALITY (keyword: quality) Philips or Osram 4300k or 5000k kit and you'll get good results. Buy a kit off of ebay, buy a poor quality kit, spend less than $400, expect poor results.
Hehe, i did spend more than 400 and got screwed... but i also did not research anything before getting them, so I'll just take the hit (just like I lose money with stocks) and move on. =P

Looks like you know enough not to screw yourself on this. I wanna see pics when u r done to see how it looks. I was very unpleased with the glare mine causes, but it was greatly reduced with a shield.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member

Yes exactly... not ebay, but a 6000k kit. It does look pretty. Had to make a shield for because the tC reflectors spread light upwards way too much. Next week I'm retrofitting a projector with a friend and I hope it all works well, since it will be my first (not his tho). We r getting Hella projectors and doing it right this time with 4100k bulbs. Now, I read u just wanted for the high beam, I used mine for the low beam 9006. Will be posting pics in the future.

PS: I didn't like the philips kits either... didn't try it on the tC but saw it on a friend's civic.
it looks like you bought a cheap 6000k kit, every non philips 6000k kit I have seen looks like total ___.

If you had to make a shield and the light was scattering too high, than you had a cheap poorly made rebased bulb, chances are you bought one of those McCulloch kits with the crappy Korean rebased bulbs.

"It does look pretty"

Also tells me, they looked nice & blue, but also put out a dimmer aqua/blueish light from the driver's prespective i.e. things looked dim for HID, your eyes tired quick.

And no... I am not only doing the high beams. My #1 reason is putting HIDs into the low beams.

I have done HID retrofits on my cars since `99, if necessary, I have retrofitted projectors. But if I find a car that has an awesome reflector setup as is, I find no reason to go all of the way.

With a quality kit, the TC's reflector works great.

And seeing an HID kit on a Civic is not the best way to experience it...
Old 08-11-2004, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member

Hehe, i did spend more than 400 and got screwed... but i also did not research anything before getting them, so I'll just take the hit (just like I lose money with stocks) and move on. =P

Looks like you know enough not to screw yourself on this. I wanna see pics when u r done to see how it looks. I was very unpleased with the glare mine causes, but it was greatly reduced with a shield.
I'll be doing a side by side comparison with a IS300, getting pics from the proper angles, which will give a good indication on how well it works.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What I mean by it "does look pretty" is after the shield. There is no blue/purple it's plain white. But it also does get my sight tired. After the shield it works well if it's a short drive (less than 30 minutes), after that my eyes get funky, heh. Check my night pics in my cardomain page in my signature. Those were done before i made the shield and it looks alright. Gotta take new pics now.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll be doing a side by side comparison with a IS300, getting pics from the proper angles, which will give a good indication on how well it works.
nice, I just have to find a garage door to show my cutoff now... lol I live in an apt.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member

What I mean by it "does look pretty" is after the shield. There is no blue/purple it's plain white. But it also does get my sight tired. After the shield it works well if it's a short drive (less than 30 minutes), after that my eyes get funky, heh. Check my night pics in my cardomain page in my signature. Those were done before i made the shield and it looks alright. Gotta take new pics now.
my god... I just saw your night pic and that is was a horrible kit. The light output and beam pattern is really BAD on that kit, not to mention that glare

You're going projector retrofit, which is one step better. But if you would have done a little more research and gotten a better quality kit, you wouldn't have been so screwed over the results.

I guess lesson learned the hard way
Old 08-11-2004, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aye very hard...
Old 08-11-2004, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
For the love of god people - don't blind other drivers. It's not quite and ____ing annoying, and dangerous. On the road I travel every night on my way back from work, being a 1 lane each way road, I always get at least one honda civic or something with HIDs that just blind me. I flash my brights at them (my brights blind any car), which is my way of saying "sucks doesn't it?"

I can't see a point in blinding people with HIDs, especially when your standard lights are just fine. My parent's have an RX-8. Driving that at night, the HIDs it has actually cut off at a certain angle, so people aren't blinded.

Do these HID kits you guys are buying have a cut off at a certain angle to prevent blinding people?
i'm with you ! i hate these people with the brightest daym lights on on a clear nite in city streets where there is already plenty of light .. most annoying are the suv's with those... its like seriously, wheres the black out ? in the middle of nowhere where they have no lights around, yeah they wud be pretty useful but around the city.. no