they stole my stock rims!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
The tire pressure sensor is for detecting low air pressure in the tire not for ABS operation - the tire being low will cause ABS problems because of its traction difference and rotation difference if under inflated. I have heard of some people here talking about getting low air pressure warnings in their TC because they have the sensor. Detecting tire rotation requires more resolution than the single tire pressure sensor could provide - needs to be a disk with many teeth on it.
What we were explaining is that on the older models, like most cars with tire pressure warnings, the individual wheel speed obtained by the ABS system is used to determine differentials over time between wheels. By using this to indicate a consistantly faster spinning wheel it is deduced that its circumference is smaller than the others, thus indicating a drop in tire pressure. That is how the 05 and 06 determine a low tire situation. On the 07's, the ABS still works the same, only the ECU monitors actual tire pressure sensors to determine if one is low rather than using the ABS data.

The advantage is that this system can detect low tires standing still and at low speeds, where the method of using the wheel speed data is un-reliable (or un-useable if not moving at all). The disadvantages are the complexity and cost of replacement.

As far as I am concerned, the added complexity is of little to no practical gain over the old system, but federal law is requiring all 2008's to have the tire pressure sending units, so the manufacturers will all be complying.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I had the same thing happen to me when I had my 93 Honda Civic SI, same reason too, no wheel locks.

Got the wheel locks before the car even left the dealer on the tC. You know, I never had them on my 04 325ci and not one damn thing ever happened to that car. Funny... I guess it just depends on the car.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:29 PM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to many people would want to steal BMW rims since all BMWs come with alloys already.

Unfortunately, the tC rims fit MANY MANY cars. However, you don't have to worry about an xA and xB owner stealing them since they only have 4 bolts. Thank God.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member

My stock rims just got stolen as well, total bull____, front right rotor on the ground, left on cinder blocks, insurance company paying for it hopefully, didn't have wheel locks which blows, of course ill be getting them this time, you learn the hard way i guess
Old 11-07-2006, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if insurance pays u, get new aftermarket rims!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:58 PM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, if you guys get wheel locks, don't leave the key lock in the ashtray, duh.

Hide it somewhere in the car that's hard to find, like tape it behind the battery or something.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:00 PM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The RS2 rims costs like $270 each for OEM. Frickin expensive. Not for the materials, but since they didn't make that many... supply and demand I guess.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
What we were explaining is that on the older models, like most cars with tire pressure warnings, the individual wheel speed obtained by the ABS system is used to determine differentials over time between wheels. By using this to indicate a consistantly faster spinning wheel it is deduced that its circumference is smaller than the others, thus indicating a drop in tire pressure. That is how the 05 and 06 determine a low tire situation. On the 07's, the ABS still works the same, only the ECU monitors actual tire pressure sensors to determine if one is low rather than using the ABS data.

The advantage is that this system can detect low tires standing still and at low speeds, where the method of using the wheel speed data is un-reliable (or un-useable if not moving at all). The disadvantages are the complexity and cost of replacement.
AHHHH I see - yes more complex and more accurate too. Good thing people that don't take care of their car by checking the tires don't fly or we would have a lot more crashes.

As far as the wheels being stolen the xB wheels are 100mm centers which is pretty standard but the offset may be the factor. However it is more likely that they are Steeling the TIRES from the tC since they run a couple hundred each!! Scion should be recommending wheel locks at the dealerships when you purchase the cars.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm curious, though... if the ECU is already processing raw PSI info from the tires, why couldn't Toyota have it display on some simple display somewhere? Would that really cost all that much more?

I think it'd be a nice touch...
Old 11-07-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's it.

I'm getting wheel locks.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by MJVsTC
Not here! I live in the 18th safest city in America.

(And I still lock the doors every time I drive through the city).
for me, 5th safest city in america ...but there's still those a-holes that will key your good looking car.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:48 PM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromThisSoil
That's it.

I'm getting wheel locks.
They're like $15/set. They won't prevent them from being stolen, but it will make it a lot harder for them.

Specially if you have locks for EVERY SINGLE nut. Muwaha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! I'm going to do that, I'm going to buy 4 more next pay day. It will make rotating my tires harder to do, but dang it, $75 is a small price to pay.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be funnier if they still looked like regular lugs and then would spin or not loosen once they jacked the car up. They would be wasting their time trying to steel them.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Be funnier if they still looked like regular lugs and then would spin or not loosen once they jacked the car up. They would be wasting their time trying to steel them.
or its going to make someone feel that much better when they take them again or take one of them ...or whatever the case is.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

As far as getting 5 locks for each wheel.... If someone can get your locks off, they arent doing it by making a key to match yours, they drive a tool (or the right type of socket) over the lug and spin it off. So if they can get one, they can all five on each wheel if you have locks on all 5. Granted, it may take a small amount of time longer, but its not like having 5 is keeping them away much more than having one lock per wheel.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get some wheel locks for christ sakes. Even though they don't always stop a thief, they will detur them in most cases.

Jay
Old 11-08-2006, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5 sets would mean 5 keys too . . . loose one and you have a problem. Then you have to figure out which key goes to which lug.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ your not getting it - someone takin the rims that can get wheels locks off ....they use the same technology to get the other 4 off as they did the first one.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default well insurance is paying

My insurance is taking care of the money, so im thinking about getting the new konig crosshairs 18 inch what do you guys think? and yes im getting wheel locks and a mean alarm
Old 11-09-2006, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
^ your not getting it - someone takin the rims that can get wheels locks off ....they use the same technology to get the other 4 off as they did the first one.
Yeah actually I do - just also saying that it will be less convenient to change a tire with 5 keys. Best idea is an alarm.

Quick Reply: they stole my stock rims!