Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Thinking of getting a Scion tC

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default Thinking of getting a Scion tC

So people? Should I? Get a Scion tC that is.....Advice on this car would be greatly appreciated....Thank you
Old 06-20-2005, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on what you are looking for in a car. It is great.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by xBkREEP
Depends on what you are looking for in a car. It is great.
Well, i'm wanting a sporty type of car. I really wanted a Celica but I can't find any dealers that are carrying them now with it being the last year they made them. So the dealers are saying that i sould get a Scion tC if i'm wanting to kinda substitute the Celica.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, let's see... made by Toyota, larger engine, bigger interior, standard 17" alloys, ABS, disc brakes, keyless, moonroof, quiter than a Celica, and costs several thousand less? Gee, I don't know.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Thinking of getting a Scion tC

Originally Posted by mandi31523
So people? Should I? Get a Scion tC that is.....Advice on this car would be greatly appreciated....Thank you

that is an interseting question, mandi, to ask a bunch of people who bought one.

yeah, you will like it. for the money you can't find anything better. go drive one you will love it. and then the dreams will start.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by cliffy1
Well, let's see... made by Toyota, larger engine, bigger interior, standard 17" alloys, ABS, disc brakes, keyless, moonroof, quiter than a Celica, and costs several thousand less? Gee, I don't know.
Ok? Why all the sarcastic comments? I was just asking a simple question, sorry. But thanks for the info
Old 06-21-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't mean to come off as sarcastic. To me, its a no-brainer. This car is the reason the Celica has been discontinued. It just doesn't make sense when you park the two next to each other.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no dont buy one. there are enough on the streets. go buy yourself a civic. thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC is the best bang for your buck. If you decide to get one you will not be disappointed.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member

go with the tc. i've looked around a lot and always came back to the tc. you can't beat the value and the reliability and a lot of people who aren't into cars don't even know what they are or look like so you can have something unique.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been looking around/test driving alot recently trying to find a car. i went into the Toyota dealership thinking of looking at a camry or something but the scions caught my eye. my friend recommended the tc but i had no idea what the tc was. so i found the tc that day and haven't found any car thats better for the money. the only thing i can think of that comes close would be a used car (acura, audi, etc) that would be around the same price range. but the service charges will rape you... anyhoo, get the TC, the end.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I just purchased an SSM tC myself, I LOVE it

here's what matters to me in a car

Reliability - since these are relatively new, this is still up in the air, but hey, they're made by Toyota, so, to me, that's a plus.

Overall Quality - from looking around the forum, the only quibbles I've consistently seen people complaining about are squeaks and rattles

Owner Satisfaction - Scion owners tend to be fiercely loyal to their cars be it an xA, xB or tC - that doesn't happen to crap cars

Handling - For a Stock car, it handles better than most cars on the road, not quite a slot car like my Protege5, but pretty damned close and that's a major feat.

Power - Just enough and Not too much IMO, I test drove a Subaru WRX, WRX-Sti, Neon-SRT4 and a Mitsu Lancer EVO 8, those cars are all great and awesome, but just overkill for the streets IMO.

BUT "if" Power DOES matter to you, then Scionspeed.com is your ticket to speed

Price: no-haggle "Pure" pricing can be a pain, but there are ways around that if you're a savvy buyer.

I never thought that I would fall in love with another econobox after my Protege5, but I can honestly say that I've fallen in love with my tC. Try one out, see if you feel the same way. In the end, no matter what anyone says, only YOU can tell yourself what you like.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's the best car I've ever owned. For the money, you can't beat what you get considering the engine size and all the standard option s you get....I was looking for a jeep, civic, accord, and decided on a scion....I do not regret buying it whatsoever.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well because that this forum is about scion, everyone here will say yes, get the tC. it's a bit biased don't you think? how about going to a honda forum and ask should you get a scion tC... you'll get a different response.

Instead of askin should i get the tC, you should be doing research about the car, like problems that the tC owners experiences
Old 06-21-2005, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member

Yes I will have to admit, it probably was kinda dumb for me to ask that question on a Scion forum, BUT some ppl that have Scion's may also be TRUTHFUL and say that they regret buying it for some reason. Obviously, I won't be getting that response. I have been reading on this forum lately and see really good things about the Scion, but I'm really leaning toward getting a Honda Civic. I've had a civic before, for 5 years actually, and NEVER once did it have to go in the auto shop for ANYTHING. So, thank you all for the responses and advice, I appreciate you taking the time to read my post, but since i posted this thread, I have decided on a Civic.

Thanks again and everyone enjoy their Scion's
Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member

Mandi, could a Civic handle a head-on collision with three pine trees at 65mph? Check out my thread "Totaled my tC" to get an idea of how safe these cars are.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A Civic? Test drive the tC, that's all it will take to change your mind over the Civic. The Civic has much less power than the tC and also has fewer standard accessories for the same money. Plus everybody's got a Civic, why just be another one. After looking at Madchat18's thread, that just happens to prove how safe the car is. I don't think he'd be posting on a forum 2 days later had he'd been driving a Civic.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against the Civic, I think it's a great car but there's no Civic in the world that I'd trade my tC for.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member

Ehh, i guess it depends on how much money you have to spend. The tC is the best bang for the buck and has reasonable stock acceleration. However, if I had more money to spend i think the Acura RSX Type-S is a really sweet ride and more comparable to the Celica that you wanted. Also with the new VW GTI and possibly nissan's answer to Scion coming out soon there is some real good competition for the tC. My advice is to take your time and drive everything that you may even think might fit the bill. The tC is a great car and you will love it if you buy it. But the tC and the Celica are way different animals. If the Celica is what you were after then perhaps a higher revving smaller coupe will fit you better. As for the Civic.... I dunno, what a boring a ride lol.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was in a similar position a few months ago, I was looking for a sporty car in the price range of under 20,000. Before finally deciding on the tC I did a lot of research and here are some cars you might want to look into:

Honda Civic (which you seem to want to decide on) - great car, good for first time buyers (but nothing really impressed me to buy one, seems like everyone has one)

Chevy Cobalt - Great car (this was actually my first choice before my introduction to scion) You can get a sporty looking one for a pretty good price @18k. over 20k for SS. Great lines, love the round lights on the coupe.

Acura RSX - Nice car over all. but a bit pricey

Mazda 3 - Also nice, the thing I personally didnt like was the fact that it has 4 doors. But thats just me.

Pontiace G6 - Also nice, love the panoramic roof it has. But pricey, I heard some guy got one for 16k, dont know if its true but I thought they were around 19k.

Ford Mustang - Great Car but again everyone and their mom has one. The newer ones are nice too but I dont like the fact that there is no space in the back seat.

Toyota Corrolla - Nice Car Great on Gas, and you can get a sporty looking one, but again I dont like the 4 doors.

Ford Focus - Good car, and great on gas too. I personally wasnt too impressed with the interior.

These are just some cars I looked at. Do some research, Test Drives are key. When I test drove the tC I fell in love. That was all I needed to change my mind from a Cobalt to a tC. So before you decide on a Civic, Test Drive the tC, and you'll see that its a lot of car for a little price.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member

i don't know if adding mods is something you're into but the honda's motor is pretty well maxed out. to get it to make significantly more hp you need to invest a butt load of money. the tc provides a better base to build on if you're into tuning.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a Scion tC