Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Tire Balancing Issues with 18 inch or larger rims ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tire Balancing Issues with 18 inch or larger rims ?

I have the 18 inch rims that comes with the RS 1 , I had noticed a vibration between the speeds of 58 mph to 64 then it goes away . Took it to the dealership and they said that a weight had come loose and caused them to become unbalanced . They rebalanced and set me on my way , but now I am getting another vibration back . The dealership told me that with larger rims they are harder to balance . I have a hard time believing that since it seems most cars these days come standard with larger rims . I feel like I might be getting fed a load of crap . Also would air pressure cause possible vibration probs ? I have noticed several of ya running the higher diameter rims and figure maybe you all might have some to add to it
Old 05-15-2005, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes you are getting fed a load of crap.. if it smells like crap, always is crap!

chances are you might have a defective pirelli pzero nero m&S tire.. someone else on another forum had a bad 18" pzero nero.. had it replaced under warranty and no more problems.. I went through a couple of pzero's on my stock 17" until the vibration was gone.

it could be that the dealership you went to, their balancer wasn't calibrated correctly. I've seen this before at dealerships, some just don't take the time to make sure it was calibrated.. I would first contact scion and then take it to another dealership to have balanced.. but let scion know about it.. it does make a difference.. and if the new dealership still can't balance the tire, then ask scion to send a factory rep to the dealer and let them look at it.. you shouldn't have to put up with any tire vibrations.

edit: tire pressures? a couple pounds wouldn't cause a vibration.. vibration is caused by a "thicker spot" in the tire causing you to feel that as a vibration.. balancing counteracts that by putting weights that "cancel" out the vibration.. so no air pressue wouldn't remove it.. definitely take it to a different dealer..
Old 05-15-2005, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can't get this resolved, try to find a shop with a hunter road force wheel balancer. Go to www.hunter.com, there is an link to find a road force balancer shop in your area. This machine will diagnose the problem for sure. It is the only machine that can do it.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is interesting , Did a search and my dealership has one of those machines . But I think I am still gonna try another dealership just to be on the safe side
Old 05-15-2005, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by thescone
If you can't get this resolved, try to find a shop with a hunter road force wheel balancer. Go to www.hunter.com, there is an link to find a road force balancer shop in your area. This machine will diagnose the problem for sure. It is the only machine that can do it.
This is not always the case, if the person operating the machine does not know how to read the information it is giving him, then he may not fix the problem. I know, I use that particular machine all day long when I am at work. You need some extensive training on that one to be good with it. I am constantly having to fix the balancing screw-ups by the local luxury car dealers (Audi, Lexus, Infiniti to name a few) because they think they know how to use the machine. Just see if you can find a major tire shop that has one, and call around to a few of the locations and ask about their best trained man for balancing and the road force machine.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCRS1.0
This is interesting , Did a search and my dealership has one of those machines . But I think I am still gonna try another dealership just to be on the safe side
yeah i would try another dealer and I would also contact scion and let them know.. they'll help you out to get it fixed whatever it takes.. I had problems with my tires and eventually discount tire got it right! but scion was helpful..

i've actually had dealers who had the hunter roadforce (gsp9700 model) and did a worse balance job than discount with a regular balancer! it's funny, discount with a regular balancer correctly balanced my tires without the need for the roadforce.. so goes to show ya that if someone knows what they're doing they don't need the most advanced balancer..
Old 05-15-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
Originally Posted by TCRS1.0
yeah i would try another dealer and I would also contact scion and let them know.. they'll help you out to get it fixed whatever it takes.. I had problems with my tires and eventually discount tire got it right! but scion was helpful..

i've actually had dealers who had the hunter roadforce (gsp9700 model) and did a worse balance job than discount with a regular balancer! it's funny, discount with a regular balancer correctly balanced my tires without the need for the roadforce.. so goes to show ya that if someone knows what they're doing they don't need the most advanced balancer..
i used the road force balancer and it worked great for me. i usualy had 16-18 inch BMW wheels and tires. mostly contis. sometimes the tire is just defective. They can be out of round from sitting in storage or being droped. ive seen it in person. find a dealer with a road force balancer. have your dealer call around so this can be accoplished. we had a neighboring Caddilac dealer that would send us their cars to do road force balancing. its very very very time consuming but it works.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I figured as much , about the balancing of bigger tires . I know on my civic I would get imbalances cuz the rim was ____ed up (it ate to many pot holes LOL) but I havent done anything like that with this car and have been very careful since they have such a low profile . I will check out another dealership tomorrow Thanks guys appreciate it