Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Totaled my rs2 tc and the insurance comp only gave me $400 extra for it? WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Totaled my rs2 tc and the insurance comp only gave me $400 extra for it? WTF!!!

I have Esurance and i just got the call to tell me what the check will be for my totaled rs2. $11,964
specs
Manual
52'000 miles

I just think it screwed up i paid close to $3000 extra for it and i wont get it back. When i asked him why, he said " In the future never buy a RS, the car isnt worth anymore money... Its just a diff color with a badge # "
Im p!ssed!!!

Last edited by RusWolf; 09-21-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Um... they're correct.

This is why people who try to sell a modded car for more than its worth and try to get back the amount they put into it are stupid. Most other people don't care what is done to a car and in some cases it can even decrease the value if you can't find the buy that wants exactly what you have.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Umm, ok

So if i buy an m3 bmw and total it i guess ill just get the $ for a regular 3 series then??
Old 09-10-2010, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put 5000 into my eagle talon Tsi. Turned out to be the biggest mistake of my life. Sure i enjoyed the car but when it was timne to sell it i got boned. I will never "invest" large amounts of money into a car and expect to get even a cent in return when i sell it.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you guys even reading what i wrote before responding. I feel like im in the twilight zone lol
I paid extra from the dealership for a SPECIAL EDITION. I never told the guy " hey i spent 15k in the engine alone (which i did) so just add that in there.. Thanks" Infact i started pulling parts off and selling them on here before i even knew what they were giving me so i never expected to get a dime back from the $ i invested in it.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly the insurance company is right cause thats the way i look at it also,they have rs1,rs2,rs3, they all basically the same tc as the base version but with different colors and the badge to indicate wow you have the 100th one of of 2000 built,wooopie,i can get a base model tc and make it the same color and put a badge and no one will know,thats the way i look at it,

and yea when you mod a car,you should know thats a big risk,why cause if you total your car youll only get whats the car is worth not what you invested in it,people dont seem to understand that,its a hobby,
Old 09-10-2010, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ The KBB should not list the Rs's at a higher value then either.
Id like to see someone buy a base model tc and change the entire color(like factory paint job) and and the other minor things like diff interior, ect. for under 3k. Not going to happen. Trust me if you guys were in my boat you would be singing a different tune
Old 09-10-2010, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TTCCC
I put 5000 into my eagle talon Tsi. Turned out to be the biggest mistake of my life. Sure i enjoyed the car but when it was timne to sell it i got boned. I will never "invest" large amounts of money into a car and expect to get even a cent in return when i sell it.
I feel your pain man, I did the same thing 10 years ago with my honda accord. spent like 10k into it and tried to get 10k for a 93' with 120k miles on it. People just laughed at me and ended up selling it for 4k
Old 09-10-2010, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that seems right. if you buy a car with $3000 in factory options (buying a higher trim level), the insurance wont give you anything close to the $3000 value. they basically categorize all the trim levels into one and minorly adjust the value. for example, a Corolla is just a Corolla. they dont classify it by all the different trim levels.

I only put mods I can later remove and sell or reuse on another car.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only way you can expect to get money with a highly modified car is to sell all the mods then sell the car..hell I know some people will even start selling things like the engine, trans, body panels, etc. and just sell the car piece by piece.

So if the car you totaled is modded, maybe see if you can take off some of those mods and replace them with stock parts and sell them that way, provided your insurance company will let you do it.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

An m3 is a completely different model in their eyes. An RS is just a tC with some frills on it, that is it. It sucks, but that is how it works unless you would have paid more to add more coverage.

And to repaint the car doesnt cost that much "extra" over what it cost to paint it in the first place. You are comparing buying the car, stripping it down and painting it again to what it costs for a paint job that is already needed. Same job, just a different color.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

As far as the comments about reselling a modded car, your mistake is buying a car with resale in mind.. I still dont know why people do that so much. Trading them in or selling/buying new in a few years is a horrible waste of money unless you always buy cash straight up. I buy a car I like and drive the wheels off of it Then I can do what I want with it and not be all bent up on hurting resale value. If it has tons of miles on it when I buy another, I keep it as my "old" car and buy a new one. My last car had over 100,000 miles when I bought the tC, so I kept it as my winter beater and keep the tC garaged all winter. Much better use of my money than getting a crappy trade in value on it. Cars are a horrible investment if you look at it from a monetary standpoint.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With Esurance, you couldnt get extra insurance for your mods? I had Esurance and I had 2000.00 extra in insurance for all my MODs and now I have Progressive and I have 3000.00 in extra MOD insurance, and so far so good. I cracked my CF1 front lip and they gave me 750.00 (CF cost, labor to repaint bumper and mount) after my 500.00 diductable I had a check for about 250.00 which I still have to which i'm trying to rebuy the lip.

Anyway Good Luck with everything and sorry to hear about your total RS2!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i just put it in KBB with the specs you listed (including release series) and listed it in good condition.
$12,070

honestly id be happy if i were you, they gave you a pretty damn good price.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlitzBlueBeast
So if i buy an m3 bmw and total it i guess ill just get the $ for a regular 3 series then??
No, M3 is an entirely different car. Julst like WRX and STi are different from the normal impreza. and the EVO is different from a Lancer.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlitzBlueBeast
Umm, ok

Not even close to the same comparison. M3 = totally other model in BMW lineup. RS tC = still a tC.

Originally Posted by engifineer
An m3 is a completely different model in their eyes. An RS is just a tC with some frills on it, that is it.
Exactly.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wouldnt a rs5 or an rs2 be valued differently? Lets assume they were the same years with same miles, doesnt the rs5 get more money cause of all the TRD factors in it. I dont think the rs2 had any of those factors besides the lip kit.

Also, when did the rs start to have the TRD exhaust, cai, etc.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fewjative
Wouldnt a rs5 or an rs2 be valued differently? Lets assume they were the same years with same miles, doesnt the rs5 get more money cause of all the TRD factors in it. I dont think the rs2 had any of those factors besides the lip kit.

Also, when did the rs start to have the TRD exhaust, cai, etc.
All of the RS's are different (mostly). Here's a (poorly formatted) list of the different RSs - minus the RS6.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/history-scion-tc-1st-generation-47019/

You have to think of it like this...

Why would YOU buy an RS? Because you know what it is and what parts are on it and prefer to have that model over a regular tC. Right? Close at least?

When you consider the used car market, most people don't give a crap what parts are on it. They want a car. They may have decided on a tC, but what are the chances that person knows what an RS is and knows which one they want? Very slim I imagine. So unless you find a specific buyer that wants THAT SPECIFIC MODEL, it's value is no more than that of a regular tC of the same yr/condition.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

I had on 09 xB with 18k miles and leather and they were going to give me 12k for it.
You sir are bugging. Just be happy you got that. It's a Scion, don't compare apples to pencils.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, ok guys. Listen, i went extreme with comparing it to a m3. but you really cant compare it to trim levels on a corrola either. I mean its suposed to be a "rare car" rite? . When peolpe sell them usedanywhere.. dealerships,ebay, ect. They always get more and ask for more because it is a release series. Is that fair?? It should go the same for a insurance company buying it from you alo Imo. I honestly love to have custom colors on any car that i have ever owned so these cars worked for me. Its what ever i guess. I learned my lesson.

Quick Reply: Totaled my rs2 tc and the insurance comp only gave me $400 extra for it? WTF!!!