Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Totaled my rs2 tc and the insurance comp only gave me $400 extra for it? WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie
i just put it in KBB with the specs you listed (including release series) and listed it in good condition.
$12,070

honestly id be happy if i were you, they gave you a pretty damn good price.
http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/scion/t...&mileage=52000

My car was in excellent condition and i wasnt trying to trade it in either
Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I think its BS. I mean you pay more for it. Its worth more to sell or trade in and it dont matter to insurance? That makes no sense. So you should technically not have to pay extra for an RS if insurance sees it as a basic tC. Id start a lawsuit! I bet you would actually win big. I mean if you can spill hot coffee on yourself and sue because its hot and win (which is totally stupid and why america is laughed at) you can probably win this.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
Finally someone with some sense! lol
Old 09-10-2010, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I purchased my rs5 because it had a laundry list of parts that I would have bought & installed anyway, had I purchased a bone-stock tC. I added up the cost of the parts that I would have purchased (wheels/exhaust/sway/springs, ect), and it was cheaper to just pay the dealer another $2k for the release edition.

Like what has been stated before, the "limited edition" will only get you more $$ in a private sale, to an enthusiast who really wants what you have. To anyone else, it's just a tC.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I totally know what you are saying but i didnt trade the car in. I sold it. So why should they determine what it shuld go for. It should go by suggested retail price. I mean c'mon. Ive had esurence for 6 years w/o any claims insuring 2 new cars with full coverage. I just feel they should of looked out more. But like i said its done and over. I already made $2500 so far from selling my aftermarket parts and have more to go so eff it lol
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by BlitzBlueBeast
^I totally know what you are saying but i didnt trade the car in. I sold it. So why should they determine what it shuld go for. It should go by suggested retail price. I mean c'mon. Ive had esurence for 6 years w/o any claims insuring 2 new cars with full coverage. I just feel they should of looked out more. But like i said its done and over. I already made $2500 so far from selling my aftermarket parts and have more to go so eff it lol
After reading the posts in this thread... I can see good valid points on each side of the "fence of value".
We all purchase automobiles with the majority of the reason being somewhat of a necessity these days. The only type of automobiles that actually appreciate in value (i.e. are an investment) are like the ones in Jay Leno's collection. 99% of the rest of the cars/trucks in the world only depreciate. When I purchase a car or truck and then modify it... I do it because I like to have it the way I want it to be while I own it.... not because I think it's going to be worth more when it comes time to sell it. I do it to enjoy it in the meantime... then pull the mods back off sell them, then sell the vehicle stock.

I'm not saying your "mind-set" about it was different than what I stated and some others here too... It simply SUCKS that we all are required by law to pay insurance companies loads of our hard earned cash each month/year. And if we don't have any claims, it's not like we get a refund for being good/safe drivers. And then when the time comes like it did recently for you with your tC... they turn around and try to shell out as little as they can get away with to their loyal customers. It just doesn't seem fair... But I came to the realization many, many moons ago that Auto Insurance companies are the second largest EVIL in the world, coming in just behind the largest EVIL in the world which is Health Insurance companies/pharmaceutical manufacturers.

I'm not comparing an RS tC to a BMW M3 series... but technically the tC RS series IS infact a different trim level then a standard tC, just the same way the standard tC is a trim level above the Spec tC. If their initial payout offer was fairly close to the value of the car, then I'd say they treated you fair. If it's way off (lower), you do have the legal right to challenge their settlement figure. Some people don't realize all the rights that they legally have in a situation such as this.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ very well put
Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by BlitzBlueBeast
^ very well put
Thanks.... ^^ sorry to see your tC go out like that... but it sounds like you at least came away from the incident okay physically. Limbs are much harder to repair than a smashed up car.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned
SL Member

never buy a car with stupid options that get installed at the stealership, anyone ever notice theyre in dash touch screen w/gps is like $2000+ ? Whats teh point of getting a RS? so you got a diff color..a lip kit...ughh wut else...2 tone seats..? So you want your money back, but you should know that most of that "extra" money you paid was added on by the dealership so really that money is theyre commision. dont ever buy a RS again lol jus do like me and paint ur tc a RS color, and tell all these fools that dont know the difference that its a RS ! hahahha
Old 09-10-2010, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There must be a difference between a reg. tC & RS tC because i just KBB mine and it shows as release series 5.0 as an option

I have Geico Ins. and they have the copy of the bill of sale and they know what kind of tC it is and whats on the car

But hey at least you got something for it

Last edited by thegame7a; 09-10-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

was your car even paid off? heh mine is, if i ever total it il cry my eyes out cuz of all the hard work ive put into it
Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My girl's sister just totaled her RS6 xB and they gave her close to 19 thousand back. BTW, she has State Farm.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
Thanks.... ^^ sorry to see your tC go out like that... but it sounds like you at least came away from the incident okay physically. Limbs are much harder to repair than a smashed up car.
np bro, yeah humans are alot softer and crunchy. lol. The tc is one solid car! i too a pretty hard hit involving a berrier and i got rite out. Just bruised my chest from the seat belt
Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackonBlack305
never buy a car with stupid options that get installed at the stealership, anyone ever notice theyre in dash touch screen w/gps is like $2000+ ? Whats teh point of getting a RS? so you got a diff color..a lip kit...ughh wut else...2 tone seats..? So you want your money back, but you should know that most of that "extra" money you paid was added on by the dealership so really that money is theyre commision. dont ever buy a RS again lol jus do like me and paint ur tc a RS color, and tell all these fools that dont know the difference that its a RS ! hahahha
lol, too bad you didnt paint it blitz blue because i could of sold you my badge that i ripped out. Then you could really fool people lmao
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thegame7a
n

I have Geico Ins. and they have the copy of the bill of sale and they know what kind of tC it is and whats on the car
I never thought of that... I also have geico, and I remember having to fax them the same document. Maybe they would pay a fair price if something happened? I really don't want to have to find out though >.<
Old 09-11-2010, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would check NADA value, which is what they probably use for their blue book pricing. In my experience those values are lower in many cases and are what a lot of lending institutions and banks use.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 PM

When my TRD RS5 was totaled, my insurance company, Allstate, included all of the special edition features that were on the car in the payout. My adjuster went over with me each feature he included on the overall list. I guess it depends on the insurance company on what they want to pay out.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

the newer RS5 and RS6 models actually have a difference though then a base tC. they put a lot more aftermarket TRD parts on them so the insurance will take that into consideration but a RS2 is nothing more then a different color
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by egobuster1
the newer RS5 and RS6 models actually have a difference though then a base tC. they put a lot more aftermarket TRD parts on them so the insurance will take that into consideration but a RS2 is nothing more then a different color

and wheels, seats, and grill like every other RS except for the one with the cheap body kit. The trd tc was probably the best value of the special editions though.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude feel your pain...It sucks but theres not much we can do about insurance companies If your still pullin parts off and selling, want to sell your wiring harness to the TYCs?

Quick Reply: Totaled my rs2 tc and the insurance comp only gave me $400 extra for it? WTF!!!