Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gtoyellowjacket
Originally Posted by Andrew1782
So...if someone handed you the keys to a tC and a GTO you guys would choose the tC? That is if you didn't have to worry about insurance, gas, etc.

Just curious.
Yes I would take the tc. Not even a momentary second thought.
Checked out your car in your profile, very nicely done. The GTO's looks are either love it or hate it. GTO's are mostly straight-line power, but with a Pedder's suspension upgrade they handle quite nicely.

I guess when you love a car you always stay loyal to it.
Thank you for the kind words about my profile. Those pics are a bit old and there have been some changes.....tint...wheels since then.

I have seen some GTO's done nicely but I just can't shake the feeling that pontiac missed the true essence of the heritage with that car. The GTO has so much history and such a huge story behind it through the years that the current one just doesn't look like it should. IMO.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM

So...if someone handed you the keys to a tC and a GTO you guys would choose the tC? That is if you didn't have to worry about insurance, gas, etc.

Just curious.
Yes I would take the tc. Not even a momentary second thought.
Checked out your car in your profile, very nicely done. The GTO's looks are either love it or hate it. GTO's are mostly straight-line power, but with a Pedder's suspension upgrade they handle quite nicely.

I guess when you love a car you always stay loyal to it.
Thank you for the kind words about my profile. Those pics are a bit old and there have been some changes.....tint...wheels since then.

I have seen some GTO's done nicely but I just can't shake the feeling that pontiac missed the true essence of the heritage with that car. The GTO has so much history and such a huge story behind it through the years that the current one just doesn't look like it should. IMO.
I agree that the heritage was lost, but GM wasn't looking to do a retro look. I think production numbers would have been more impressive if they had gon the retro route. But, you got to remember the original GTO was treated the same way back in the mid to late 60's when they first appeared.

Personally, I like something original. Not a big fan of the retro fad (be it Mustang, Challenger, Camaro, etc). I enjoyed the sleeper effect of the GTO, it really caught people off gaurd. A lot of load mouths (not directing that at anyone here) making fun of it until they were looking at the GTO's taillights.

I could go on and on - but won't.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I dotn think anyone is gonna dispute that it failed for the GTO name. But the GTO hauls butt and it doesnt look like a monster lives under the hood. The LS1 is an awesome engine. These things can be made to handle but i dotn think you get one for the handling around curves. A few simple things like a lip kit and maybe a aftermarket hood some tint a nice set of wheels and tires and an aftermarket exhasut and this thing can be lookign sweet.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I was in this exact same predicament when I bought my tC.

It was either 04 5.7 GTO (black on black) or my FM. I took the GTO for a test drive, and it had nuts to spare. It was more fun than the tC for sure, RWD and all.

I took off from the lot (where I worked, on my lunch break with a salesmen) and mashed through 1st 2nd and 3rd. Was AWSOME. Then, I slowed down and realised the car was a heffer to say the least. Lots of go, no slow at all in comparison. Now, I took the turn and also felt like I was kind of swaying, like the car was loose all over. Felt very unstable to take sharp turns with.

Now if we were talking about the 6.0, the extra 50 (i think) hp would've done me in and I would've gotten it.

BUT alas, I wound up with the tC for only 4k less. More reliable, better on gas, and it isn't a GM. The GTO feels like you're driving a waterbed on wheels after about 50k miles. Plus with the 4grand I saved I could've boosted it and been just as quick in the 1/4. THEN, coilovers for a first mod and a stock GTO would never keep up.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by CSUnited14
get a evo :D
ehhh.... GTO is faster and sounds wayyyy better. we have a 04 and an 06 with a Monaro conversion.. and its cheaper and they dont need anything. They haul butt stock... They stick in corners so well I must say and they get traction like a beast....I say go for it definetly without a doubt...and by the way our 04 is for sale. Its cosmic purple. Very rare color.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

5.7 GTO =

My dad's friend from work has one. Black with the automatic trans. But still fast as crap. I rode in it once. It's almost not even fun cuz you accelerate up to 3417890542784 mph soooo fast. I figured we were probably about to be hitting 80 or 90 mph, but I looked and we were at 130. In a 55 I might add.

Go for it.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The GTO is cool; still love the Scions though.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

get it, get it, get it.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have to say out of all the forums I frequent the biggest fanboys ever are scion drivers. How can you say anything about the performance of the GTO when you drive a brick of a car in the TC. GTOs are very fun to drive and they are monsters on the freeway especially with mods. If hes considering the GTO he is obviously not that concerned about cornering, the ride in the GTO is very comfortable. Yes, potentially you could boost a TC and mod the hell out of it and get it close to as fast as the GTO is stock but for most people tuning a car that much is a pipe dream. If you want a car with out a "tuner" rep that performs great stock and has a plush ride then by all means get the car. If you really found that one for 16k I would jump on that, what an awesome deal.
I really love the look of scions especially boosted ones but you don't have to be so brand loyal that you can't appreciate other cars just because they are domestic. how rice is that?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Why did you buy a Neon over a GTO then if it's got everything going for it?

I gave an educated opinion on the matter. The GTO is TERRIBLE car to drive daily. It's an aussie car. All they care about over there is speed, haha. They just feel awkward inside like the Fbodys. Terrible IMO.

I worked in Service at a Pontiac/GMC dealer, so I know how often GTO's came in. Ask any GM tech what they think of the GTO. Same with the Solstices.

It's comparing apples to oranges, really. Powerful v8, RWD, waterbed on wheels, or an econobox that gets good mileage but still has the potential to be as fast as a GTO and kill it on the race track and still come out to less $$ new GTO vs modded tc.

You do realize the Neon SRT4 forum started the Home Depot lip plague that has now consumed Scionlife? Thx. Like you haven't already put enough hurt in here.

Am I the only one who goes "HMMM..." when a 30k car goes for half it's MSRP with 40k miles and a, say scion tC goes for 4 or 5 less than MSRP with the same mileage?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by d0ugch0i
what is it with kids trying to trade their cars for american cars??

american cars = FAIL!!

thats the dumbest sh_t i've heard.

american cars are frkn beasts. i know they cant turn, but their rumbling v8's makes me jizz

shelby 500's
corevette zo6
black on black GTO's w/ straight pipe exhaust

OMG.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Terrible inside??? I think the interior of my dad's friends GTO is the most flawless of any car interior I've seen. As far as cars affordable to the average Joe I mean.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

They have nice interior as far as glitz and glamor, but being userfriendly they suck from what I remember. Been a year and a half since I seen inside one.

The GT500 is an awesome car most certainly. But it's no handling monster, much like the GTO. The z06 on the other handle is a v8 car that if I could afford i'd ditch my tC in less than a second.

I'm not saying the interior is nice in my tC either... it's very plain. But, my bar for the tC is low because of the fact that it's 17k.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by trdtcpr
If you like it and makes you happy then do it! Don't go asking for opinions cause then if you don't like your going to say "someone else said it would be good and it sucks!" If you do it, do it because you really want to and not because someone else said it would be good and if you don't like it down the road the only guilty is gonna be you.

PS: not saying the GTO is a POS because it's a pretty nice car and sounds nice too!
ditto!

You are correct about the gas mileage or at least close. I had a 99 Z28 Camaro in the past. I recorded 27mpg on a road trip once. I believe 30 to be possible. Of course, in the city, it dropped drastically to about 19.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Southeastern Wisconsin has ALOT of GTOs! I had about three of them trying to have me race them. Hmm..No thanks! Then they showoff. I'm always thinking "Oh that wasted three gallons of gas. I hope it was worth it jacka$$"

When they were selling them brand new; something was always added to the sticker tag "Gas Guzzler Tax?" So going from tC to GTO...I wouldn't! I can afford one of those! I like my below $40.00's (for now) gas tank bill.

Sides doesn't those require High Octane?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by KnightRida71
Originally Posted by CSUnited14
get a evo :D
ehhh.... GTO is faster and sounds wayyyy better. we have a 04 and an 06 with a Monaro conversion.. and its cheaper and they dont need anything. They haul butt stock... They stick in corners so well I must say and they get traction like a beast....I say go for it definetly without a doubt...and by the way our 04 is for sale. Its cosmic purple. Very rare color.
Nice. GTOs with the Monaro conversion look sweet...
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My buddy had an 04 GTO and I loved everything but the following.

Exterior
Shifter

Everything else was nice and the engine was oohhhhh soooo fun.