Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]
View Poll Results: Should I stick with the Scionspeed Stage 2 turbo? Or should i spend the $4000 on other stuff.
Turbocharger that BlTCH
41.38%
Think... $4000 is alot of money. You could buy rims, bodykit, system and lowering springs
27.59%
$4000 is a ____load of money, don't waste it like that put it towards your car payments remaining
24.14%
Save the money for something else
6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Turbocharger Vs. Bodykit/Rims/System Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Turbocharger Vs. Bodykit/Rims/System Poll

I was really looking foward to put the scionspeed stage 2 turbo on my TC. I was the first person to order it and still haven't received it due to some delays. During the two months waiting time I've been looking foward to it every single day up to now. Now im really skeptical about what i should do. Here's my experience. I was driving and I see a souped up mistubishi eclipse with some decals, AEM, Greddy ETC. It revs its engine at me so i look at it and check it out. Im usually the first one to jump into a race, but this time i didn't since i was eating wendys. Behind me is a black accord with a big fart can exhaust and he pulls in the middle of me and the eclipse. They give each other revs, and they gun it. Up ahead the accord passes the eclipse and gets into the left turning lane, the eclipse follows. The guy in the eclipse gets out the car, and walks towards the accord. At first I thought he was just asking the guy in the accord what he had under his hood, but then i saw the guy show his badge, and it turns out he's a COP! The guy in the accord gets nervous and doesnt take the time to think rationally and takes off. I see the cop call for back up. Didn't see exactly what happened after that but im pretty sure the accord was caught. Whats up with this undercover cop bull____ ? The only reason i was looking foward to my turbo was to race some people, but seeing this incident really scared me into some thinking. Is it really worth spending $4000 to put urself at risk from being busted by an undercover pig ? After some time of thinking I thought that maybe I should use the $4000 more wisely. I mean after all with $4000, i could get a bodykit, rims, system, and drop it a few inches. I love racing, and worked 60 hour weeks to make the 4000 bucks for the turbo, but now im not so sure what to do. Any advice ? Should I invest the $4000 in the turbo as I originally planned ? Or should I invest it in other stuff?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

bump
Old 04-12-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

bump
Old 04-12-2005, 08:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

bump again
Old 04-12-2005, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy ____...what state are you in?
I am really impatiently waiting on my stage 2 also and I have gone through same kinds of thoughts. I don't know about your finance situation but go with turbo if you can at least afford to install it, lower the car, and get some kind of lip kit. I would go with all other kinds of mods if I did not have $ on other upgrades.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member

No matter how you cut it, street racing is illegal. If you want the turbo, then find a good drag strip to run on. Turbo's are fun, but the speed can get you in all kinds of trouble.

If you can't find a place to spend the $4000, I have a massive credit card bill I'd love to pay off =P (just kidding!)

Figure out what you want to do. If you're really scared of cops nailing your butt, I'd go with some other choice. Though if you have a drag strip or some other venue to stretch out the legs of our turbo tC, I'd get that and have some fun =)
Old 04-12-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

bump. Need some more advice
Old 04-12-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

bump
Old 04-12-2005, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stick with the turbo man, you'll regret it if you cancel it. No need for all the bumps, btw.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I dont know lol. Seeing an undercover cop in a Decaled eclipse busting someone scared the ____ outta me. I'm traumatized, dont know who i can race and who i cant race without getting in trouble... and thats no fun.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Has anyone come across a racing undercover cop ?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sounds like entrapement to me. I just PM'd ScionCop so we'll see what he says.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draven301
Sounds like entrapement to me. I just PM'd ScionCop so we'll see what he says.
Sorry guys, that's not entrapment. Entrapment requires that the officer convinced you to do something that you didn't have a predisposition to do anyway. In the case where he is driving a riced-out Eclipse, all he is doing is providing you (someone with a predisposition to race) with the opportunity to do that. In fact, even if he revved first, if that was his only action, it still wouldn't be entrapment. Now, if he revved and you declined, then he got out and convinced and cajoled you into racing - THAT would be entrapment.

Regarding the poll: you darn well better turbo that car. Why go for "show" if you can't back it up with "go?" It's just sad when people spend $4000 on a racy look but then run a 15.7-16.5 in the 1/4.

Sleepers are better anyway.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by d-dave
No matter how you cut it, street racing is illegal. If you want the turbo, then find a good drag strip to run on. Turbo's are fun, but the speed can get you in all kinds of trouble.

If you can't find a place to spend the $4000, I have a massive credit card bill I'd love to pay off =P (just kidding!)

Figure out what you want to do. If you're really scared of cops nailing your butt, I'd go with some other choice. Though if you have a drag strip or some other venue to stretch out the legs of our turbo tC, I'd get that and have some fun =)
I agree.
Putting a turbo on a daily driven car is just insane. Why waste your money on a turbo for a car that'll rarely hit the strip, when you can tweek your ride with some other dope mods. On top of that, cops will ride your ___ until your car doesn't exist anymore. Unless you'll be using it strictly for drag, buying a turbo is a waste of your time and money.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I really wanted the turbo way more than anything, but thats scary ____. I wish there was a drag strip closeby so i didnt have to resort to street racing...
Old 04-12-2005, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love turbos
Old 04-12-2005, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simez2003
I really wanted the turbo way more than anything, but thats scary ____. I wish there was a drag strip closeby so i didnt have to resort to street racing...
Turbos are cool, don't get me wrong, but just think about the problems you'll be having with the law. I've had many friends that had turbos, and the police would pull them over all the time. It came down to the point where they always looked for their cars cuz they already knew them and kept harassing them until they got rid of their cars entirely.

Bottomline, it's up to you if you want to get a turbo, but just think about the negatives and positives and compare which is greater. Do you really want to be hassled by the police? That's why I say stick to the drag strips with that car if you put turbo on it. It definitely shouldn't be a daily driver.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simez2003
Has anyone come across a racing undercover cop ?
Yup, I've seen the same thing in a WRX. There are undercover cops everywhere... I've seen them in Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, Ford Explorers, minivans, and even an undercover Mercedes.

If you want to street race, you just have to live with that risk. No matter where you do it, it's illegal. It's no more legal to shoot up heroin inside your house than it is to do it in front of a cop, so.... if you don't want to get pulled over at all, the answer is simple: DON'T FREAKIN STREET RACE.

When you have a sports car, sometimes you're inclined to speed... I've been there. But really, it's a personal issue, not a turbo issue. If you're the kind of person that is going to street race because you have a turbo, odds are that you're the kind of person that would street race even without one.

Stick with the turbo just because it's a real modification and it sounds like it would mean a lot to you. You should never modify your car unless it makes you happier with it. If you're just getting a bodykit as a consolation, then it doesn't give the body kit any meaning to you. I say, stick with your guns and get the turbo...
Old 04-12-2005, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This is the way i think of it. Turbos get u in trouble with the law, Bodykit/rims get you in trouble with vandalizers/thieves. You spend 4000 on a turbo, you have a chance of gettting arrested. You spend 4000 on bodykit/rims/system, you have an even worse chance of something bad happening. You can get keyed, you can curb rash ur rims, you can get hit by a moron in the parking lot leaving ur kit destroyed, you can get jacked by a no good refugee, and more! Trust me i've already thought of the positives/negatives... I still dont know which to pick tho.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's entirely up to you then. Good luck on whatever you decide. I personally don't need a turbo, because I'll be on the streets majority of my time. A few engine modifications and some exterior work, and I'll be happy. Street racing is just played out to me.

Quick Reply: Turbocharger Vs. Bodykit/Rims/System Poll