2005-2010 [ANT10]

Two questions on driving stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Two questions on driving stick

1) How do you drive smoothly in parking lots? At low speeds the car seems to be jerky in either in second or first. How do you drive really slow and smooth at the same time?

2) Is this guy dropping the clutch and letting go of the pedal to quick, or is this how you are supposed to shift?

http://www.teamsmr.com/movies/Footbox%20Small.wmv
Old 08-07-2004, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for the slow traffic and parking lot, just give a wee bit of gas (800-1K RPM) and let the clutch out from the engage point over a 1.5-2 second period and let off the gas ( unless you are moving up hill). If the land is flat or down hill you can just slowly release the clutch without gas in first gear.

In the video, he is not popping the clutch but a very coordinated fast shift at high RPMs. The goal in that is not to let the RPMs drop too far to maximize engine torque and power. (Of course to do that in an xB you will be screaming around 5K at least in my experience with those PT Cruiser people...3rd gear is your power...4th & 5th get the job done)

Note: Before you race the engine up like that be sure that you have past the break-in period. I am nearing 10K miles since June, and I find that the performance seems to improve more each day. (probably the computer learning from my driving habits)
Old 08-07-2004, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was asking about driving slow in parking lot, not starting from a stop. Like looking for a parking space. How do you drive really slow and have the engine not be so jerky?
Old 08-07-2004, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I usually just let off the gas when cruising for spaces or with a slight bit of gas but let you foot completely off the clutch.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Letting the car move with no throttle will show your revs beginning to decrease and choke - You are putting a lot of stress on your clutch when you do that, I believe.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My vehicle doesn't jerk. that was how I learned. It all comes down to practice. I've been driving clutches for over 25 years. (Including 9 & 13 speed 18 wheelers) I have never needed to replace a clutch before 125,000 miles in my cars. (VW, Ford, Chevy, Nissan) and never an engine. You must take into account the terrain you are on and adjust accordingly. Jerking will damage the springs in the clutch.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

dude practice in a vacant parking lot, nobody's got the magic words of wisdom to help your clutchwork, its a feel thing
Old 08-07-2004, 03:21 PM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

practice practice practice.

as for driving slow, if you just slowly engage the clutch without gas, the car just goes... that's what i usually do in parking lots and just tap the gas when i need to speed up a bit...

as for the race car driver, he's just shifting very fast because, one, his race clutch doesn't allow slow pushing of the clutch... that thing is probably ten times stiffer than our smooth stock clutches and it's just easier to slam on it and, two, he's racing and doesn't want to lose uneccessary speed. He's also using a combo of heel and toe which is just an efficient rev matching technique.... this will have to be explained to you later ;)

ideally, you ARE supposed to shift like that but only when you are racing someone. dropping the clutch is usually a term for going off the line... you press the gas while you are in first gear with the clutch just near the clutch point so you feel the car slightly moving but not GOING... then when the race starts you "drop" the clutch (let your foot off the clutch) so you get instant power and launch yourself. this is versus doing a slow clutch/gas balanced start. of course, this will wear out your clutch so it's not recommended ;)
Old 08-07-2004, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
Letting the car move with no throttle will show your revs beginning to decrease and choke - You are putting a lot of stress on your clutch when you do that, I believe.
So you're saying at 800rpm is more stressfull than 4K on the clutch??
Old 08-07-2004, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Part of that is the new car. Mine smoothed out and rolls around fine without the on/off throttle jerks it had when the engine was still breaking in.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My way

In the parking lot, when I am about to let go the gas, I put my foot on the cluth to prevent jerking. It's alright because you're only stepping on a little bit of gas. When you need to speed up, use your clutch to find the balance point slowly and thus, prevent the jerking. When you're about to park and stop, I use both gas and clutch to give me that 1-2mph. That way, it will be a lot smoother. Hopes that help!
Old 08-07-2004, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cameracar
Originally Posted by Rivulent
So you're saying at 800rpm is more stressfull than 4K on the clutch??
What I'm saying is you'd be riding the clutch.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I think I know what the issue is here - I was stuck in traffick last night and was going in first, foot off the clutch, little to no gas - the car is jerking (feels like it's going in waves) - the only way to smooth it out is to give more gas (speed up - which is not what we want here), or ride the clutch.

So anybody knows the third solution for us, 5-speed newbs?
Old 08-07-2004, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion

cruising in 1st gear is difficult so it's hard to get right. it doesn't seem that the car was made to just drive in first gear. it just takes practice to be able to have your foot on the accelerator giving it just enough gas to keep it moving but not jerking and not accelerating. when i find that i'm rolling too fast, i put one foot on the clutch and the other i take off the gas, brake if necessary, then foot off the clutch, foot on the gas again. i seem to do a whole lot of "clutching" and my feet are constantly in motion, but that's just what works best for me.

IMO, a good way to practice is to find an empty lot and start from a stop in first gear. accelerate a tiny bit, then foot off the gas and foot on the clutch for a couple of seconds, then foot off the clutch, foot on the gas for a few seconds, and so on. it will also help your "starting in first gear" issues.

actually, if starting in first gear is the issue, i found that a good way to practice that is to (in empty lot) slowly let off the clutch until you feel the car start to move forward on its own. then push the clutch back in again. repeat as needed. once you learn that "friction" point, it all becomes second nature.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I wonder if having right shoes is also an issue? I have my car for a little over a week now (my first 5-speed), and was driving to work wearing my dress shoes. Last night I was going out and was wearing 1460 Dr. Martens boots - it felt like I had to re-learn the whole friction point deal again, and I jerked way more, even stalled the car once... Damn what a shame - I love my docs...
Old 08-07-2004, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz
I wonder if having right shoes is also an issue? I have my car for a little over a week now (my first 5-speed), and was driving to work wearing my dress shoes. Last night I was going out and was wearing 1460 Dr. Martens boots - it felt like I had to re-learn the whole friction point deal again, and I jerked way more, even stalled the car once... Damn what a shame - I love my docs...
When I got new/thicker shoes, I had to relearn friction points too, but only takes a few minutes to adjust. Now I can switch between 3 varying types of shoes with no problem. Never catch me driving stick with no shoes or sandals - much too painful!
Old 08-08-2004, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member

The tC has a pretty low 1st gear. I would just use 2nd as you're cruising around parking lots. It has plenty of torque to cope with starts in 2nd gear.
I've been driving stick for years and find that I get out of 1st faster witht the tC than any prior car I've had.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think we've beat this horse enough now. Just practice...BTW I don't ride my clutch.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lots of good posts here.

Two other things I have learned over the years of driving a stick.

1 - The clutch should be used as a switch, try not to let it slip. Sure it is going to slip some but keep it to a minimum. As others have stated this takes practice

2 - Use neutral and coast when you can. Unless you are racing there is no need to downshift or even keep your car in gear when not necessary. This car rolls easily and you could coast some in a parking lot.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah, ditto use neutral to your advantage..

also, two more tips, the 1st gear is meant to get you going so, shift to second even if your rpm's are low...

Lastly, if someone can answer this, in the video, the guy was pumping the clutch kinda quickly...was he rev matching? Thats not the way i do it... can someone elaborate?

Quick Reply: Two questions on driving stick