Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want undercoating or Scotchguarding find a shop that specializes in it. It will be cheaper and they'll do a better job. Not all dealers will charge too much and do a crappy job, but most will.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JasonH
If you want undercoating or Scotchguarding find a shop that specializes in it. It will be cheaper and they'll do a better job. Not all dealers will charge too much and do a crappy job, but most will.
Do you have any of this on your car? As for the interior, I'm pretty happy to just do it myself. I can get the can and spray the crap on the (clean and new) interior. Undercoating, if useful enough and cheap enough, is something I'd think about getting done.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iowagary
Originally Posted by JasonH
Do you have any of this on your car? As for the interior, I'm pretty happy to just do it myself. I can get the can and spray the crap on the (clean and new) interior. Undercoating, if useful enough and cheap enough, is something I'd think about getting done.
No, I have neither. Undercoating will cut down on road noise and can prevent rust if applied properly. Call around your area to find somebody who does it.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No need to call anyone to have it done. If you can use a spray can you can do it. It's just in a spray can. Some of them are more expensive then others, but generally they all are the same thing.

Save the money. Spend $50 bucks on undercoating and Scotchguard and do it yourself. Pocket the 450, or better yet spend it on Springs, Sway, etc. =)

My 2cents,
Old 10-06-2004, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Had mines done

I wish I took pics before & after... I undercoated my tC. Since there was coating in the wheel wells but nothing underneth.

From what I observed its in a can and that gets hooked to the air compressor. Then spray away... black tar stuff comes spraying out.

Everything is easier if its on lifts... so see if any friends who work at a shop/dealership in the service department... maybe they can help you do it on like a Saturday or something.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you plan on keeping your car for a long time don't undercoat it. Without going a long-winded story I bought a new Mazda B2600 CabPlus 4X4 in '87 and had it undercoated at the dealer before I took delivery. Another guy in my office got the same truck 3 months later - no undercoating. 10 years later my undercoated truck's bed is rusted thru from the bottom of the truck up (had a cap on it). Never any water in the bed. His truck still looked great, over and under.
Over time the undercoating blistered and condensation formed in the pockets. I had been under the truck many times and never noticed a thing - it was all black! As soon as I saw the rust in the bed I got under the truck and started picking away. Way too late to save it. Rust everywhere I looked. I'll never undercoat another car!!!!!

Just my $.02 and experience with undercoating.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am in the car business,

I think under coating and paint protection is a good idea, arethe benefits of the product are worth 500? I am not sure, it has a very high profit margin.