2005-2010 [ANT10]

Upshifting smoothly

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Upshifting smoothly

Anyone have any tips for a smoother upshifting? I'm looking for a precise response, instead of the generic "let go of clutch, upshift, push clutch in slowly".

I've been looking at the gear ratios trying to determine how much I should let the RPM's fall when I upshift, and am I doing it right by saying:

Gear 1's ratio is: 3.54
Gear 2's ratio is: 2.05

Divide 3.54 by 2.05 = 1.7

So, say I was traveling at 3000rpm in first, and I want to shift to 2nd gear. So I push the clutch, drop rpm's down to 1700 (3000rpm / 1.7) and engage it slowly? While I'm engaging it, should I push the gas? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just b/c you perform RPM matching doesnt equate to smooth shifting. You are human so therefore you are going to have a little bit of slippage involved with clutch operation. This is how I upshift: When accelerating and I reach the point where I want to shift, I stop accelerating and maintain constant speed. (Avoid the forward movement that passengers do b/c they dont know when you shift so they dont compensate like drivers do) After shifting into the next gear, I operate the pedals inversely. When I am letting go of the clutch I am pushing the gas. I observe my technique with another passenger in the car b/c your reponses differ from their response. The minimal movement they exhibit, the better your technique is. Think of this as a dampening technique. You want the shifting to be as linear as possible.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member

I think you're spending way too much thought on this! Smooth shifting has nothing to do with gear ratios or RPM matching, it's all about the driver. Its all about feel, and unfortunetly that only comes with practice. Now yes, some vehicles are easier to shift smoothly than others but it's still all a matter of the driver. I've actually had passengers comment on me shifting smoother than their auto cars.

First off, I say don't look at your tach! I've driven plenty of manual trannies that dont have tachs and honestly you dont *NEED* one unless you're doing some hard towin or racing. Too many people use a tach as a crutch and as a result never become that good at shifting. Listen and feel.... vehicle feedback will tell you when to shift.

Smooth is the goal, both with the shifter and with the clutch. While the clutch is what really controls the smoothness of this shift, if you're slamming the stick around... you'll probably treat the clutch the same. Really its like a woman... every setup is different and each likes to be treated it's own way. Every vehicle I've owned likes to be worked slightly differently, but the trick to them all is how you treat that clutch pedal. Smooth and fluid..... you can still be quick but it needs to be smooth motions.

Unfortunetly it's not something that can be explained... its something you have to learn. Just takes time and practice.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

smooth upshifting is something that comes with feel and time. this is especially true with the tC, because it's easy to shift, but hard to shift comfortably for the passenger. this is due to the design, hydraulic clutch and drive by wire system. don't get discouraged, i have been driving stick for about 6 months before i got the tC...then when i got the tC, i drove stick like crap. it's just after 7 months of driving it that i can finally smooth things out a little better.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I was driving home today... did what you guys recommended by not looking at the tach. I have to drive down a strip with about 50 stop signs, so it's pretty much gears 1-2, and I shifted smoothly for some of them. Guess I'll try some more tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some cars just have smoother clutches than others. Also it just takes practice on this car since they are all different.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i just put 1000 miles on the car and sometims i still don't shift smootly but hopefully i'll get better as time progresses
Old 09-09-2005, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like other people already said. Practice a lot. But when i upshift i just start to put my foot on the gas when the clutch is about halfway out from the catch point. And i get smooth shifts, if you don't do something like that your car'll jolt. Just try touching the gas at different times. Oh and practice.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

The "Use a Passenger as a Measuring gauge" suggestion is great .... I do that with my wife whenever she's in the car... she just doesn't know it lol.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Upshifting smoothly

Originally Posted by versello
Gear 1's ratio is: 3.54
Gear 2's ratio is: 2.05

Divide 3.54 by 2.05 = 1.7

So, say I was traveling at 3000rpm in first, and I want to shift to 2nd gear. So I push the clutch, drop rpm's down to 1700 (3000rpm / 1.7) and engage it slowly? While I'm engaging it, should I push the gas? Thanks.
Sorry in advance, but that is priceless, I would never think anyone would seriosuly try to think about something like that.

Just drive, be yourself, let your emotions flow. Sometimes you will slap and stamp, other times you will caress and dance.

Just stop thinking about it.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member

Like most everyone else said, just don't think about it, and one day when you're driving you'll realize how much better you've gotten with the clutch. I've been driving my manual tC for about 5 months...this is the first car I've really had before I really learned how to drive a stick. After a few months of driving you'll get the feel of the clutch and you'll learn how much pressure to put on the gas before the revs shoot up to 4000 RPMs.