Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

UV luminics....Not to happy with (Day 4)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by mancide
There is a reason that cars dont' come with these aftermarket color tinted bulbs. It's that they perform worse than the stock bulbs you replaced. Besides, the stock tC bulbs are whiter than most stock bulbs I've seen.
thank you! that's exactly what i tell people all the time, but they don't listen. they just laugh and continue to believe that coated bulbs and silverstars are way brighter and better than stock. it's science. all you have to do is look at the color/light spectrum and you will see that bluish white is at the very low end of the spectrum, meaning very short wavelengths, which produces low projection of light.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by THE DON
Colored bulbs reduce light output. CASE CLOSED.

If you want Yellow / Blue / Purple whatever, you must tint the glass, which in turn, reduces the amount of light.

When you buy "blue" headlights, don't expect better vision or brighter lights.

-THE DON
So what youre basically saying is that i'm a liar?
I'm not some child who is fooling himself into thinking something so as to justify the little 54.00 I spent for the 9005/9006's.
Perhaps the fact that I wear corrective lenses has something to do with it. Whether im wearing glasses or contacts, their was WAY to much glare with the stock bulbs.
With the tinted hyper whites, the glare is drastically reduced to pretty much none AND they fill in all the "black holes" that stock bulbs have.
What I have as a result of that is a clearer, equal range of light.
thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

for everyone who believes in aftermarket and coated bulbs being better than stock, read this: http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=102
Old 06-14-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

luminics - any comments? are your hyperwhite bulbs coated with anything?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just wait til the cheap coating burns off.. .then you will have bright, normal bulbs again Sorry.. not a big fan of those types of bulbs.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Just the fact that this is even a debatable topic just goes to show that this is a matter of preference, not truth or fact.
Their are a few absolute truths in the universe...and sorry guys, but unfortunately, stock bulbs being better then aftermarket bulbs, isnt one of them.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still love my silverstars. Its crazy how some people have so much trouble with them burning out. I have had mine for almost 2 years and no problems. They are pure white, not a hint of blue on the road which is what I hated about all of the other "hyper white" bulbs. I am sure they are not as bright as stock bulbs but my eyes cannot tell the difference. i just love the white light on the road.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ i usually upgrade or downgrade ^_^, change my headlights when one usually goes out. HAHAHA

Like on my 92 civic, one went out last week so i bought some japanese brand headlights from autozone and they are hella white like pure white, but i dont remember if they perform better but it was worth 25 bucks for two.

Dont really see a reason to change something that isnt broke if it doesnt affect the performance of the vehicle.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had many pairs of fahrenheit bulbs and been very happy with them
Old 06-14-2005, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have some koito white beam bulbs(old version, not version 3). They are slightly whiter then the stock bulbs, I think they are 3950K or something. It has a slight tint to it but it is very feint. And these bulbs are definetly brighter then stock, they are also 3 times as expensive as luminics.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

because koito actually makes headlights for toyota and honda. Stanley, Koito all make headlights for the big two japanese companies.

Koito and Denso also make quality electronics (ballasts for HID applications ie)
Old 06-14-2005, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reagulator
i have some koito white beam bulbs(old version, not version 3). They are slightly whiter then the stock bulbs, I think they are 3950K or something. It has a slight tint to it but it is very feint. And these bulbs are definetly brighter then stock, they are also 3 times as expensive as luminics.
Ya know i thought about gettin the Version 3's for my g/fs tC. wonder what they would look like
Old 06-15-2005, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member

Default SPORTLINE

I ordered a set of sportline bulbs off of ebay, they are extremely bright, and blue really really blue. they only make the lows now, but highs will be on the way soon.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not only are the various super blue or ultra violet or whatever bulbs dimmer because the colored coating on the bulbs is filtering out other colors of light, the color that is lef, while looking 'neat' is in that part of the visible light spectrum where human vision is the flakiest.

Not only are the really really bluish lights in a range where most people's vision is much less sensitive, not only is one trying to see with a more 'monochromatic' light source, at that end of the visible light spectrum many people's vision doesn't respond well at all. - just like some folks can hear 18KHz and others can't, some can see reasonably well at the blue ends of the spectrum (highest visible frequencies) while others can't.

I like the look of the bluish lights (except for those idiots who have them aimed improperly into oncoming trafic...), but I'll stick with my 3400 kelvin stock lights, thankyouverymuch. I for some odd reason seem to think that my vehicle's headlights are there to improve *my* vision at night, not to impress others with how outlandish my headlights can look.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Perhaps the fact that I wear corrective lenses has something to do with it. Whether im wearing glasses or contacts, their was WAY to much glare with the stock bulbs.
Try eyewear with polarized lenses or with an anti-reflective coating. If that doesn't make the stock bulbs bearable you probably shouldn't drive at night.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mfbenson
Try eyewear with polarized lenses or with an anti-reflective coating. If that doesn't make the stock bulbs bearable you probably shouldn't drive at night.
Eyewear? lol...well, assuming that isnt a typo...I cant. My contacts have to be made out of "breathable" lenses, because my eyes dont get oxygen correctly
Old 06-15-2005, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Koito's as well (purchased through optauto.com) and love them. I went through many different bulbs before. These are white, very bright, and will take a long time to burn out. OEM quality with an aftermarket white. Nothing comes close. And I hate PIAA, nothing but problems with them, unless it was on the Eclipse.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CELL
Originally Posted by THE DON
Colored bulbs reduce light output. CASE CLOSED.

If you want Yellow / Blue / Purple whatever, you must tint the glass, which in turn, reduces the amount of light.

When you buy "blue" headlights, don't expect better vision or brighter lights.

-THE DON
So what youre basically saying is that i'm a liar?
I'm not some child who is fooling himself into thinking something so as to justify the little 54.00 I spent for the 9005/9006's.
With the tinted hyper whites, the glare is drastically reduced to pretty much none AND they fill in all the "black holes" that stock bulbs have.
What I have as a result of that is a clearer, equal range of light.
thanks
You are actually proving everyone else's point for them. Less glare, less light output. And frankly, I don't know what the hell you are getting glare from from your own headlights, normally glare is from OTHER headlights facing you. Unless you drive in a town that lines the streets with mirrors, you shouldn't be getting glare from your own headlights.

Use these bulbs for all I care. It's just the misconception that they are BETTER than stock bulbs at light output is all I'm disputing. They are not. Anyone with a light meter and a dark road can tell you that.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

No, YOU are proving my point for ME.
The glae im talking about is coming off of reflective signs, other cars reflectors and reflectors on the road.
With a softer...and ah hell...just to let you have it your way...."less" light...the glare is greatly reduced and I can see everything ALOT more clear
Old 06-15-2005, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still love my UVs....havent had a problem with them since they were installed in March.

Quick Reply: UV luminics....Not to happy with (Day 4)