Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Warranty for rattles only 12,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Warranty for rattles only 12,000 miles?

So I have been dealing with my scion dealer here in monroe,mi for the headliner and hatch rattle. I still have them both and I'm at about 17,000 miles. The service dept and the service manager said that I have to pay to get my rattles worked on or fixed if they find that its not a manufactuer defect. They said that the rattles are only covered in the first year or 12k miles. I checked my warranty manual and it does not say this anywhere...Anyone else heard of this?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

bend over b/c u r being given the shaft ...it is in fact a manufacturers defect and they know damn well it is b/c toyota has issued them a service bulletin reagarding the hatch rattle...if they still give you problems call scion customer service
Old 10-19-2005, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like they cant find it and no longer want to try unless they get paid. I would try a different dealer. If you are in Monroe you could try the ones in Toledo or Detroit areas without too much trouble.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call the Scion customer service number. They're just giving you some BS.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tell the dealer to shove it up their ##@.. run like mad away from that dealer.. bunch of liars.. like everyone has said, call scion and find another dealership..
Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well I did call scion customer service last week to tell them about the 12,000 mile rattle warranty and my persistent rattle in the hatch/headliner. The agent said she had never heard of that warranty either. So she was going to call the dealer and talk to the customer service manager. Basically to sum it all up, the customer service manager called me and said that they can't work on the rattles being its over 12k miles and he also said that was stated in the warranty manual. I had the warranty manual right in front of me and it doesn't state that anywhere. He was unable to tell me where that was printed. Then the scion cust. service agent called me back and basically agreed with the guy at the dealer saying sorry its only 12k miles for adjustments and she had no idea about the warranty being she is just a customer service agent. So she quickly changed her story to be on the dealer's side. So I don't know what to do, besides calling another dealer.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What you have here is a dispute with your dealer over the warranty. Your Scion is warranteed against manufacturer defects for 3 yr / 36 k miles. What is in dispute between you and your dealer is whether or not the hatch rattle is a manufacturer defect. Your dealer told you and the csr rep from Scion that they believe the hatch rattle you are having is not a manfacturer defect. So, the ball is now back in your court.

Your job now is point out that the hatch rattle is indeed a manufacturers defect. Tell them that Toyota issued a TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) regarding the hatch rattle and that you can provide documentation of hundreds of other TC owners experiencing the same exact problem that you have from scion forums. These two facts prove your rattle is not simply an isolated incident, but in point of fact a MANUFACTURERS DEFECT and therefore covered under the warranty.

If they still give you sheet, ask them if it is time to get the Attorney Generals office and Better Business Bureau involved. I find that usually gets business owners to change their tune. And if they say go ahead then do just that. Filing a complaint with the AG's office and Better Business Bureau is easy and can be done online in 5 minutes. I would also fire off a letter not a phone call this time to Scion.

Remember you spent nearly $20 k on this puppy and you shouldn't have to put up with an annoying hatch rattle that is indeed a MANUFACTURERS DEFECT.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how long will they give you excuses before you have enough and just get a lawyer?

is that what scion wants is all these people to be denied warranty coverage and scion gets sued? not a very good public relations nor marketing event! do they think that idiots buy their cars and that they will just take it? while they take your money? i think they need to wake up
Old 10-20-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

i hate hearing issues like this.....
wutever dealer you are dealing with, STOP
wutever rep. told you that info, DON'T LISTEN
my honest opinion, they don't feel like attending to your problem.

now, if they were an actual smart dealer, they would get the techs paid for doing warranty work, just as much as they would get paid if YOU had to pay for the repairs. but obviously they have no clue how to pay a tech for diag. time under warranty.
(warranty hours usually are less than COD hours)
you shouldn't have to pay for something thats NOT YOUR FAULT
if i can find the TSB ill send it to you, print it out and highlight the part at the bottom of it where it states 3yr/36,000miles
even if you have more than that, if the TSB was put out after you reached ur 36k limit, it still has to be performed under warranty....

id either
A.) try a new dealer
B.)call Toyota, not Scion to get some answers or have someone else get involved
But a rep. of Scion should not have called you, they should have gotten off their lazy a** to come and check things out, like they are supposed to

i got your back on this, this is retarded
they do have 12k/12month adjustment period for brake issues(hand brake),alignments,tire issues, but this rattle should not be one of them, at all!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I was dealing with my rattling issues (my ex tC) I to ran into the mysterious 12 month 12 thousand mile rattle thing . I had several friends tell me the same but since the car at the time only had 6500 miles on it , I never heard anythign from the dealership . Personally in my opinion if Scion is putting out TSB's to resolve these issues then working on solving the issues shouldnt stop after 12 thousand miles or 12 months . As for going to different dealers I had done the same and was given some excuses that flat out blew me off my feet . Eventually I got tired of the run around and now in a different vehicle . Yes I traded but the rattles werent the only determining factors in the trade off .
Old 10-20-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

ive heard your story, or at least some of it
and i understand completely y your upset, and y you wanted out of the vehicle
i would have sided with you in your case
Old 10-20-2005, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow thats horrible customer service. Try a different dealer and keep bugging Scion about it.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wouldn't it be crazy if he has to get a lawyer JUST to get a warranty to be enforced?
Old 10-21-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionBandit
ive heard your story, or at least some of it
and i understand completely y your upset, and y you wanted out of the vehicle
i would have sided with you in your case
Thanks I appreciate you support , I seriously mean it .
Old 10-21-2005, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

your welcome, man
Old 10-21-2005, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they do have 12k/12month adjustment period for brake issues(hand brake),alignments,tire issues, but this rattle should not be one of them, at all!!!
Where did you read that there is a 12k/12 month adjustment period for these issues? I want to read more on these "issues". Since my tC needs about 10 miles to go for it to hit the 12k mile mark and I have a few "issues" that need to be fixed.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just called the scion customer support # acting like an inquiring customer. I asked if they have heard of any TCs having any issues with rattles in the rear hatch area. The rep said this was the first time she heard of it. Not sure whos side they are on... Figured I'd pass that on. I'm still debating on what to do with my rattles. I might call another dealer and ask about their policy. I will keep everyone updated on here.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by nero_tC
Where did you read that there is a 12k/12 month adjustment period for these issues? I want to read more on these "issues". Since my tC needs about 10 miles to go for it to hit the 12k mile mark and I have a few "issues" that need to be fixed.
uh, seeing as how ive been with toyota for 3 1/2yrs, thats how i know.
each dealer has warranty advisor, she has a copy of 12k/1yr adjustment period, i haven't checked my manual or anything, but it SHOULD be somewhere written for consumers.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nero_tC
uh, seeing as how ive been with toyota for 3 1/2yrs, thats how i know.
each dealer has warranty advisor, she has a copy of 12k/1yr adjustment period, i haven't checked my manual or anything, but it SHOULD be somewhere written for consumers.
A whole 3 1/2 yrs? Congratulations....

uh, i wasn't questioning you, it was just a simple question as to where i could find more info on this "adjustment period"...

the only thing i found in the manual is that:

"Noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration cause by normal wear and tear" is NOT covered by warranty.

Since I really don't have time to sit here and read the whole manual word for word, I was just wondering if you or anyone else could point me to where i could find more info on this subject since i'm about to hit 12k miles. But I guess not...
Old 10-21-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

wasn't lookin for a hand clap from you, but wutever...was pointing out ive been with the company a lil while to know things, u consumers don't....
trying to help, but i guess u don't want it, which is fine by me...i have warranty handbook on hand, which would help you...but since u decided to go the a** way about it, i feel as if i won't share the info with you....good luck looking though!!

Quick Reply: Warranty for rattles only 12,000 miles?