Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Warranty, what voids it, different types, problems, solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Warranty, what voids it, different types, problems, solution

Ok, I'm hoping to get all the info available about warranties in this thread. Coming from owning used cars, warranties are brand new to me.

First, here is my problem.

I own a promotions company, and I have companies wanting to sponsor this car. And I will promote their company, in car shows, etc. etc.

These companies are computer companies (putting computer in car) and car audio companies.

Will any of these type of installations void the warranty, I'm guessing yes. Is there a way around it? Would I be able to talk to them and work out some sort of deal? Are there different types of warranties that I could consider that would allow me to do what I want but still be under some warranty with the car. Basically what I am mainly worried about is the engine and major components. Anything with body, interior, or anything with looks, not worried about it. I just want the peace of mind that the motor is covered by warranty.

Any solutions?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member

I'm really interested in getting the low-down on warranty info/warnings/etc...

I've read a lot of horror stories here and I'd really like to know from anyone who has experience or is in the know.

TIA
Old 07-21-2004, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well i got the standard 3 year 30000 mile warranty. or at least i tink its standard. if not den i dunt have it.

heres the scoop bout warranty. i talked to the guys who work i nthe bak at scion/toyota. their warranty doesnt cover much at all. it only reaches to the point of defected items.

n if the dealer is iffy or not so sur tat ur problem was a defect? den dey wunt cover it n blame it as your own doin.

i say screw the warranty. if your doin sumting to your car. mak sur u tak EXTRA PRECAUTIONS and be EXTRA EXTRA careful.

or do wat im doin. jus wait n learn frum oters :D
Old 07-21-2004, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Warranty, what voids it, different types, problems, solu

Please, please, please post pics and details when you do any mods. I'm really interested in carputers. Also, can you say which companies are looking to sponser you? I'm interested in what products are out there.

Originally Posted by tCoy
Ok, I'm hoping to get all the info available about warranties in this thread. Coming from owning used cars, warranties are brand new to me.

I own a promotions company, and I have companies wanting to sponsor this car. And I will promote their company, in car shows, etc. etc.

These companies are computer companies (putting computer in car) and car audio companies.

Will any of these type of installations void the warranty, I'm guessing yes. Is there a way around it? Would I be able to talk to them and work out some sort of deal? Are there different types of warranties that I could consider that would allow me to do what I want but still be under some warranty with the car. Basically what I am mainly worried about is the engine and major components. Anything with body, interior, or anything with looks, not worried about it. I just want the peace of mind that the motor is covered by warranty.

Any solutions?
Old 07-21-2004, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

As of now I am in talks with a few local car audio companies for the audio part.

With the carputer... I talked with the CEO, President, and Lead Engineer this past sunday about sponsorship and working with/for them, for the company Hybrid Mobile Solutions.

They are putting together systems for cars right now. Which includes touchscreens, and micro motherboards for MP3, DVD, GPS, wireless internet, OBD-II, etc. etc..... we are incorporating lots and lots of features.

As of now, they don't have any products available to the public as of yet. We are still developing relays and the software to control the cars functions.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Jo2
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Warranty, what voids it, different types, problems, solu

Originally Posted by tCoy

Any solutions?
I already replied about this in the trd springs thread, but i'll just repost it:
"FYI, its illegal for a dealership to void your warranty if you install aftermarket parts. Its an actual law, and its called the magnusson-moss act. Read up on it. If there is to be any voiding, its on the actual part that is installed, and anything the part effects, IF there is a problem. Lets say you have aftermarket springs put on for instance. This does not void your whole warranty, in fact, no part of your warranty is voided. But if you say, have a problem with your shocks (lets say they blow out), the dealership can say, ok, we aren't going to honor that part of your warranty because your shocks blew out as a result of your springs. The key part here is that they have to prove that the springs caused the problem (keep in mind, this is easier said then done, and usually involves taking the dealership to court). If you installs springs, and your engine blows up or something, obviously, they can not deny warranty work since the springs don't effect the engine."
Old 07-21-2004, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here are some previous warranty threads

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...iding+warranty

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...iding+warranty

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=void+warranty

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=void+warranty

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=warranty