Water seeping into trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006 | 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Default Water seeping into trunk

I've got water pooling into the area under the spare tire. What I don't know is where it's coming from. Anyone have any clues as to how I can find this out, or where it might be coming from?
Old 09-12-2006 | 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

you sure its water??? Does it rain a lot in the area you live? in, do you go over water puddles a lot? Have you taken out your spare tire to see if the rubber gaskets that are between the inside and out side of your car are still there? OTher than that i cant really help you, dont know if anyone can, just check that all your gaskets are in place.
Old 09-12-2006 | 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Yes, I'm sure it's water. Not sure what else it would possibly be, although I have not tasted it. I don't purposely go over water puddles a lot, but am forced to drive to bad weather very often. Yesterday, it was raining crazy.

The rubber gaskets (2) undernearth the spare tire are in place. There is nomimal amounts of moistere undernearth the foam pieces to the left and right of the tire well but nothing crazy.
Old 09-12-2006 | 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have the same exact problem and my gaskets are in place, im thinking it from when the water from the back wheels get caught in the tread and at the top of the wheel it goes up into the fender well and then into the trunk.

i dunno its weird
Old 09-12-2006 | 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you don't taste you should just smell...lol...
Old 09-13-2006 | 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by iamjeff6
i have the same exact problem and my gaskets are in place, im thinking it from when the water from the back wheels get caught in the tread and at the top of the wheel it goes up into the fender well and then into the trunk.

i dunno its weird
that might be your problem, sounds the most logical so far. But that should be sealed, i say take it to the dealer
Old 09-13-2006 | 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i dunno its weird
that might be your problem, sounds the most logical so far. But that should be sealed, i say take it to the dealer
Old 09-13-2006 | 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i dunno its weird
Old 09-13-2006 | 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by rrimportracer

i dunno its weird
I'd rather not as I don't have warranty....just trying to figure out if anyone had experienced this.
Old 09-14-2006 | 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member
Scion Evolution

im taking mine to the dealer really soon to get this checked out before winter comes and i get ice in there
Old 09-17-2006 | 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I had the same problem once with an 89 Celica GT I had about 14 years ago..I found water in the spare tire well...

It turned out that the water was getting in bewtween the tailight and the body, there was a little gap there, I don't know if the car had been in an accident, but I had bought it used from a private seller...I think the dealer put some waterproof sealant around the tailight, on the inside of the trunk...Seemed to take care of the problem, as I recall..
Old 09-17-2006 | 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Best thing for you to try rather than guess is to get a buddy with a water hose and you get inside the vehicle with everything closed up and just start watching for water. Spray every angle possible until you find something.

Take out the spare, storage, and the cover thing. Just like you were going to remove the strut bolts to lower the car. You should then be able to see straight to the metal.