Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Weird Hatch Rattle Story... may be informative

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Weird Hatch Rattle Story... may be informative

Okay, so I've done EVERYTHING, torn apart EVERYTHING, in my tC... and padded EVERYTHING with foam tape.

I found out where a certain noise may be coming from.

To make a long story short, the noise was coming from the actual rear sunroof.

For the longest time, I thought it was coming from that location, but inside the car...

No no no, it was the actual bolt of the sun roof.

There are four of them that hold it down...

The way I found out the noise was by opening the hatch, but it's weird how I discovered it....

1. Open the hatch a little, but only unlock the first part... so its open slightly.

2. Wiggle the hatch around between the primary and secondary lock... If you hear a weird noise, almost like a ticking noise against glass, this is what I experienced.

3. After locating the noise as being the rear sunroof, I started pounding on the glass (not too hard) so I could reproduce the noise... which I did. So essentially I verified the actual, isolated location at this point.

Well if you're like me and you've taken apart your interior roof around the rear sunroof, do this again... and after detaching all the velcro, you'll notice two big holes that have what looks to be plastic/metal sticks poking down. You really have to navigate your head to look up through the holes (they're in the roof, by the way)...

Anyways, I sprayed WD40 vertically upward and that seemed to help the problem...

I wish I could post pictures... perhaps if someone has one of the description above, I could highlight in red where I sprayed. Anyways, we'll see what tomorrow brings, but I cannot reproduce the noise now.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Perhaps this may help... I got it from an earlier post. Anyways, if you were looking at that, you'd glance slightly to the right to find the hole in the metal framing... it's big enough where you could fit your thumb through, and it's circular too... Anyways, if you were to do this, you'd be poking this metal stick thing... And that's where I sprayed up.

P.S. I've done the foaming of the ribs, I've put foam around the rear center tail light wiring within the hatch, I've foamed the hooks of the rear dome light, the plastic that surrounds the rear sunroof... I've done it all.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Interesting. I rode in the back of my car a week or so ago to try to locate my rattle. I thought for sure it was coming from the hatch or the right taillight, but it was definitely coming from the rear moonroof.

I've been trying to think of a way to go about fixing it. I may have to try what you did. Or maybe I'll just try to find time to take it to the dealer.

My radio squeaks too. At first it would go away if I closed the cover, but for the past few days, I can close the cover and it still squeaks on every bump.

I like the car, but it makes funny noises.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a rattle in the rear like countless others as well.
Only i took mine into the dealer, i didnt wanna break anything

Anywho, they replaced the panel on the top of the hatch right where
it closes and bumps up against the rear interior roof. (?)

Well, i got my windows tinted, and a few days after, the rattle was
slowly but surely coming back...louder and louder each day
Do you think the dealer will blame it on the window tints being done?
(im takin that B**** in again to get it fixed, i cant stand rattling)
Old 10-11-2005, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Johnny_Boy
i had a rattle in the rear like countless others as well.
Only i took mine into the dealer, i didnt wanna break anything

Anywho, they replaced the panel on the top of the hatch right where
it closes and bumps up against the rear interior roof. (?)

Well, i got my windows tinted, and a few days after, the rattle was
slowly but surely coming back...louder and louder each day
Do you think the dealer will blame it on the window tints being done?
(im takin that B**** in again to get it fixed, i cant stand rattling)
I don't know what to say.

The biggest thing is to locate where it is... so you isolate that.

And go from there... keep fudging around until it doesn't make a noise.

I eventually figured out how to make the noise without having to drive, so i was banging around all day today... It was ridiculous, I had my seats down and i was kicking the hatck to make the noise while I had my ears up under the roof... lol....

I went out and pounded and tried to resimulate tonight, but haven't been able to... maybe it's gone.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice
Old 10-24-2005, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Knock on wood.. oh wait, that may make a new rattle too.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WD 40 is not permanent lubricant. Its primary function is to help displace water in wet components; the WD part of its name stands for "water displacement." WD40 leaves some residue that can help lubricate but it quickly wears away. I would try using something like Boeshield T9 for a more permanent solution.

For hatch rattle sufferers, I have performed a few things which has eliminated my hatch rattle.

1) Secure the plastic ribs next to the rear c pillar.

2) Make sure that all the white mounting tabs that hold the gray hatch plastic to the hatch are in place. You will have to remove the hatch plastic to see if there are any that are moving around. The center mounting tab in my hatch had become loose for some reason.

3) Lubricate the side hatch mounting points that are attached to the body of the car. I have had a persistent squeaking sounding when going over bumps and it was driving me insane. Over time, the squeaking became louder and louder While I had my hatch apart looking for loose items, I decided to lubricate the hatch points with Boeshield T9. Any other lubricant that is safe for rubber or vinyl will work. After I lubricated the mounting points, the squeaking stopped.

I can say for sure which of these helped out in my case, but I am leaning towards lubricating the rubber mounts as being the solution to the major sound that was coming from the hatch. If anyone else has a squeaking sound from the hatch area, try lubricating them and see if that helps. Next move on to securing the plastic ribs and then finally seperate the hatch plastic from the hatch itself to see if all the mounting tabs are in place.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AWESOME...
Old 10-25-2005, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I to expierenced this tapping and rattling WHEN I had my tc (its now gone been traded off) . I did the foam on the ribs , I tightened the bolts I tightened the hinge bolts I did it all . you popped the headliner off and all you saw was a sea of foam . Still did it , no matter was done to it . As for the earlier comments about the trim around the rear window yes it will make loud rattle noises if not properly insulated with foam tape . I dont want to rain on your parade but the odds of the noise coming back are fairly high . It seems like the rattles would get quiet only to get your hopes up and then come back in full force . I eventually got sick of dealing with it all and just traded it off . I miss it from time to time but I dont miss the things that irritated the hell out of me .
Old 11-01-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how do you remove the interior around the rear sunroof?? i have the exact same problem but i dont wanna break anything
Old 11-01-2005, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure you isolate the rattle. I thought mine was coming from the rear but rattle was above the rear dome light. If I held down on the metal bar (once you let the light hang down), the rattle went away. I jammed a piece of wood between the metal bars and viola, no rattles for almost 5-6 weeks. For the very back, I put about 6-7 wraps of electrical tape around the metal bar that the hatch latch latches to.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 11-01-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but how do you remove the interior around the rear sunroof? i'm gonna be banging around my tC tomorrow and I wanna know how to remove the stuff just incase
Old 11-01-2005, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Griever
but how do you remove the interior around the rear sunroof? i'm gonna be banging around my tC tomorrow and I wanna know how to remove the stuff just incase
It's complicated, I just recommend searching through other posts.

You gotta take off the coat hanger hooks; you push in the plastic and swing it outwards and you'll see a screw. do that for each side, but then there's also a little tab you push in to get the actual plastic to slide off... without a picture it's hard, but just search.

Then you pull off the plastic pins that hold the rear roof on.

Also, detach the velcro that holds the roof.

As far as the dome light, you gotta pop off the two corner hooks that hold the light in place.

After that, it's a matter of detaching the velcro around the rim of the rear sunroof... just be careful not to crease the whole lining.

You might also have to pull back on the plastic where it meets the rear lining around the hatch area. That pops off and on, so give it a tug.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

eow. I hate the rattles! I have had my car back from the dealer for like 3 days now and I fianally hear no rattle. After taking it in and had them put foam, take everything apart and them saying that the rattle could have even been my license plate frame!... they took my car to get some spots welded on the hatch and now.. finally!!! after taking my car back like 4 times and driving a corolla for like a week or so at a time.. i have no rattle!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

My weird hatch rattle story...

Just got a call from the dealer. They claim the hatch rattle is caused by the hatch stuts - in order for the struts to work properly there has to be some "play" in them. This "play" might be causing a "slight" rattle....since the struts are working and this "play" is designed in to the car there is nothing else they can do unless they bring a district manager in.

Obviously this is crap - the car is not designed to sound like it is shaking apart at the seams - and I'll be seeing the district manager on Monday.

Has anyone else had any issues with the struts or is this dealer BS? I haven't had a chance to really check things out for myself yet.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they changed my struts and it didnt fix anything
Old 03-08-2006, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good info
Old 03-15-2006, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a persistent rattle right above the dome light... If I reach back and push up on the dome light it stops it...
Old 03-16-2006, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is because the plastic piece of the wiring harness is in that area on the right. Move the headliner down and wrap that piece in foam and boom, rattle gone.

Quick Reply: Weird Hatch Rattle Story... may be informative