Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Weird Hatch Rattle Story... may be informative

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Nature of the beast: tC's rattle

Whenever you cut a large hole in a roof, and put it back together in peices, that just greatly increases the chance there are gonna be parts rubbing or tapping. Yes, your rattling is completely normal, and in some cases just can't be fixed or found. But most of them can be fixed.

First off, its a modern motor vehicle, which means it has thousands of peices and panels that fit together, then it rolls down the road and goes over bumps. When you cut a large hole in the roof (a major structural portion of the vehicle), and replace it with a couple of peices of glass and metal framing, you can expect some sort of flexing and quit possibly binding, poping, or tapping. Yes I know "Its a new car it shouldn't do that". Well personally I don't think they should have cut a large hole in a perfectly good roof.

I've fixed a couple of rattles on these cars myself, and it is a pain in the **** due to the large number of fitted pieces in the roof. Two glass panels, framing for the glass panels, framing and slides for the moon roof, a large number of nuts and bolts, then some dome lights and a headliner. Not to mention the extra metal structuring around whats left of the origanal roof design from the Avensis. And just think, all that sits right above your head, waiting to make some noise over the next bump.

I've talked with Toyota technical, I've scoured the tsb's, each car is different. I tore the whole roof apart on a RS 1.0 and replaced and insulated 90% of the roof components, just to find a pinch weld ( small dimple in roof structure that holds itself together) that was loose and rattling in the end. Two taps of a hammer (from underneath the hatch brace behind the back glass)and the rattle was gone. It took 2 whole days to figure that one out. Another was fixed with some new struts for the rear glass. Another was fixed by tightening loose screws on top of the moonroof assembly. These cars are any technicians worst nightmare as far as rattles go.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

cuse... were you by sports authority by 29 and west ox yesterday? i saw a tc with TYC lights...first one around here
Old 05-20-2006, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope.

I live north of the toll road along 28.

I see a FM tC every day on the way to work... he has the ped spoiler and tycs...
Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member

Default Wind Noises?

Has Anybody experienced a wind noise? its not really what i would call rattle but i can hear the wind passing over the car and it has a slight whistle to it, If i open my sunroof to the 1st position where the rear of the roof opens it sounds beter then it down. Anyone have any idea whats causing it?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i hear a rattle/knock around my hatch when im on some bumpy roads... i assumed it was just the hatch's weight pushing on the bummpers it rests on and then bouncing back up against the latch that holds it shut...almost sounds as if its not shut all the way but i heard it numerous times.....i also have an annoying ticking from the front dome light lens.....with only 6k on it, i dont wanna start tearing it apart chasin rattles...although its not a "lexus", i still dont think it be as bad as my old rattle-box otherwise known as a cavalier...
Old 10-09-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice
Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Rear hatch rattle

I have had my tC for a month now. When I open my windows or sunroof the plastic on the hatch rattles and squeeks like a mo fo.. I had my brother in the trunk while I drove around and he pushed on the plastic. The noise stopped. So I used double sided tape between the plastic and the frame of hatch. It was gone for a week. I never makes a sound unless A window is open.. Wtf, anyway I think I'm going to use a C-clamp to tighten the space and run a bead of clear silicone around the edges. I'll let anyone know if it's a fix or if anyone has this annoying issue.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely keep us updated